Notices

Day 14 and dealing with infidelity

Old 06-28-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 14 and dealing with infidelity

As I posted about here a while back, I had a one-night relapse 14 days ago today. Since then, I've been going to a lot of meetings (not 14 in 14, but fairly close), shopping around for a home group that I like, reading tons of SR.com and reddit's r/stopdrinking, reading a book on addiction and so on. I've also come clean about my alcohol problem with my family and am receiving a lot of support there.

Well, today has sucked. I found out that my wife has been unfaithful - not necessarily physically, but enough to be a real problem. We had a massive fight about it before she left for work this morning and in the middle of it, she started going on about my drinking problems - "Oh yeah? Well you're just a damn alcoholic!" and "it's not like you've never done anything wrong!" and so on, as though that somehow excuses her cheating while I've been sober.

I can't understand the mindset that would equate infidelity with alcohol addiction. I have certainly not been easy to deal with when I was an active alcoholic, and I've done some pretty awful things, but I didn't choose to be an addict and am actively working on recovery. She has chosen to cheat on her partner, while he is in recovery.

At the very least, I have no impulse to drink today. Drinking is 90% of how I wound up in a relationship with this woman (broke up with her while sober, went back to her when I was drunk), drinking has damaged whatever relationship we've had, and drinking today will do nothing to solve my problems.

She should be home at 5 today. I fully intend on being at my 7:30 AA meeting, regardless of whether she's still around or not. Frankly, I don't give a damn if she is or not. I am getting sober for myself.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First I am sorry you are dealing with this two weeks in. Congrats on the sobriety. However, all is not lost and I don't recommend running to a divorce attorney.

If your an alcoholic/addict like myself then by all means it's similar. You had an affair wit a bottle and were likely emotionally and physically absent from the marriage. Try to give her a break on this one.

It sounds like your marriage has damage but the fact you have anger and not apathy is a good sign. It usually means there is love buried under the drama and pain. Healing takes time and trust. Given trust is likely gone you can rebuild.

I am speaking from experience and my marriage has been resuscitated several times over the past ten months.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi,

Here's an article based on research. Now you might be willing to walk for the very same reasons. I don't mean to be rude in my brevity, but I am from F&F side.

3 Signs Your Wife Will Cheat On You