Notices

This sucks

Old 06-26-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This sucks

I know this topic has been covered extensively but I'm almost 14 months sober and this week I've been drinking in my dreams every single night. Even had a cocaine dream last night too cause hey why not. This is totally lame. The few Weeks before I had no dreams like this.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't mind those dreams because I wake up sober. Since I quit smoking pot three months ago I've had very lucid dreams every night and lots of them involve drinking. I had coke in a dream last night. That sh*t is even lame in my dreams!
Old 06-26-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I get them now and again!! They can be unsettling at times!!
Old 06-26-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I talked to old timers in AA they say they get em.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I was in the Navy for four years, I occasionally dream about being on a ship. I rode the bus every day for 12 years...I sometimes have dreams with a bus in them.

I drank for 35 years...I'd be more surprised if I didn't dream about drinking, than when I do.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

I still get those dreams, and it has been 23 years for me.

If I am aware enough in my dream, I just notice I am drinking like I have always been drinking and never did stop. When I wake up, I am RELIEVED and happy to realize the dream was just a dream.

they don't bother me any more.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm not surprised it happens, just the every night thing lately has been crazy. It's nice when I'm fully awake and realize it was a dream, but for the first 30 minutes it's shocking.

Cool thing is I've noticed I've been turning down drinks in some of them lately..
Old 06-26-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your dream self realized he was an alcoholic and is finally taking responsibility!
Old 06-26-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, the dreams won't hurt you. I also have drinking dreams. Some are very vivid, but I'm always glad when I wake up because I realize I didn't actually drink
Old 06-27-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have over 3 years and I still get drinking dreams periodically. I used to get them alot in the beginning of my sobriety. They do get less and less. My feeling is they may never go away but at least there only a dream.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by PhaseTwo View Post
I'm not surprised it happens, just the every night thing lately has been crazy. It's nice when I'm fully awake and realize it was a dream, but for the first 30 minutes it's shocking.

Cool thing is I've noticed I've been turning down drinks in some of them lately..
I'm glad you posted about this. That has been happening to me too. I have about the same amount of time clean as you do. The last one someone kept putting vodka in my coke. I thought that was pretty gross because I don't like vodka. (not that back in the day I would have turned it down) Must be part of the process.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I've had them, they're usually really stressful. It is just your subconscious working something out. You could journal about it, that has helped me.

I used to run a lot and when I took a couple of years off, I would have running dreams too.