Notices

Not quite almost but.....

Old 06-26-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not quite almost but.....

I felt my heart beating in my chest....

I've been sober a bit over a year, but never been as tempted as I was Tuesday night at a Jimmy Buffet concert. My Girlfriend (another mostly non-drinker)and I had been sober tailgaiting before the show. She was suntanning and I was people watching. Over the course of time we made friends with the people next to us. Definitely not non drinkers

Anyway, a bit later in the day one of the guys from the other group came walking over with a couple of red solo cups and handed them to us. Each contained about 2 shots worth of liquid. We asked what it was. It was a homemade concoction of vodka (my drink of choice next to beer), some type of schnapps and watermelon flavored mixer. Damn it smelled good. Then he walked away.

My GF went to do a toast and I said no ( my heart was already racing), she asked "Are you sure, just one time?" I replied again, no, you can have it. She didn't push, just nodded and drank hers, then mine. That was it, all done.

My GF knows I don't drink, knows that I did drink, but doesn't really know why I quit. She's never been much of a drinker from what she's told me and from what I've seen. And, she never pushes me to drink.

Anway, just wanted to share. That has probably been one of the toughest times I had. Loud music, people partying, sunny day. Damn those Jimmy Buffet parrotheads!!

--edit to add - however, by the end of the night, witnessing all the falling down drunks - and there were many - reminded me of why it's good to be sober and drive home straight.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Well done, Biker.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

But you did it . . . and you still had a good time!

I found a lot of value in your observation regarding the end of the concert--people falling down drunk, many of them risking injury (or legal troubles) to themselves and others by driving. So many people probably woke up Wednesday, sick as dogs, filled with embarrassment/regret, or unable to recall what transpired the evening before--not worth it one bit.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job! That isn't easy what you did.
Be proud you are really changing your life
Old 06-26-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BikerAcct View Post

My GF knows I don't drink, knows that I did drink, but doesn't really know why I quit.
When I met my wife I had been sober a couple of years

Then at around the 3 year sober point I started drinking again

In short time she was very disappointed with me

And understood well the reason why I had quit

Hopefully your GF will never witness this

MM
Old 06-26-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Great job! You looked the Beast in the eye and stared it down. I know that had to feel a lot better than falling prey to it, especially the next morning.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are God's Own Drunk and a powerful man

Jimmy is all about the party. Wonder if he still imbibes?
Old 06-26-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

new girlfriend? maybe she could know, might help in future.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

good job. Jimmy buffet and bob marley 2 I dont listen to much anymore because they give me bad ideas hahaha. Jimmy buffet more so. When I listen to him nothing seems better then getting drunk at the beach ::facepalm::
Old 06-26-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

Good for you! I'm glad your girlfriend understands! She's a keeper! Wish I could say the same about my ex.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
good job. Jimmy buffet and bob marley 2 I dont listen to much anymore because they give me bad ideas hahaha. Jimmy buffet more so. When I listen to him nothing seems better then getting drunk at the beach ::facepalm::
Aren't most of Jimmy Buffet's songs actually about getting drunk at the beach?
Old 06-26-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zanabanana View Post
Good for you! I'm glad your girlfriend understands! She's a keeper! Wish I could say the same about my ex.

Yeah, she is a keeper. Helps a lot that she doesn't really drink either. I've seen her have a sip, or a shot, if someone else offers it, but never anything more. She's never ordered anything other than iced tea when we go out.

She's great.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
Aren't most of Jimmy Buffet's songs actually about getting drunk at the beach?

Pretty much, yeah.

He's actually not even on my list of people I wanted to see. My GF really likes him though
Old 06-26-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
quat

When I first started coming here , I saw the phrase 'play it forward' and the like, which is a great way to visualize the consequences.

How nice is it to rewind the tape though? An out of the bue encounter that presents itself , and then ends well, love getting ahead of those and looking back , good on you
Old 06-26-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Wow... awesome! You done good.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

great stuff! Thanks
Old 06-26-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nice job man. You describe the feeling so well (heart racing, the smell, the magnetism of the environment)...

But it's over now and you feel good about it versus feeling bad about the whole time for a split minute decision that would have not been in line with your higher self (or whatever you want to call it). Now you can look back at the whole event as awesome whereas if you made the other choice the whole event would have been ruined (in your mind).

Way to walk the walk!
Old 06-26-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Needed to hear your story today. Feeling overwhelmed by sobriety and just realized I am walking the walk too! I felt sick to my stomach because I accidentally left my wife's prescription in my shopping cart and she really needs her script; my heart did the same thing and I felt sick and the first thing that came to mind for some idiotic reason was a drink. But I prayed my way through it.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad you got over that hurdle, Biker. It gets easier each time we rise above the temptation.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
30yrdrunk

I am actually looking forward to my first sober trip to the beach in roughly 27 yrs this August. I can't wait! I'd usually get bombed multiple nights and have wretched multi-day hangovers. Not to mention a disappointed wife.

Good health, happiness and sobriety to All!