Still sober ,still working out .

I have not been on much lately .
Old 06-25-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What caused it? Sorry to hear.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is all very quick - in Australia divorce seems much more protracted.
I hope you're doing ok and staying in recovery Karate.

D
Old 06-25-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry Karate. Divorce is never easy.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry it didn't work out karate, thought you had given it another chance. Staying sober will be a big help in getting through this, glad to here that you have kept that.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I tortured myself over my divorce. Probably didn't help that I was just about at the peak of my alcoholism. It just seemed so "bad."

I had a similar feeling about getting sober....."it was going to be horrible."

Over time, I've come to see that both events were in my best interest and have led to more joy in my life than had nothing changed. Surrender and acceptance....then taking the steps/actions I need to take to move on have disproved the vast majority of the fears I've had.

That said, it can still be a turbulent time, emotionally speaking. If you'd ever like to talk about it, i'm willing to listen.

Mike
Old 06-26-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, Karate.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Sorry to hear about that. I went through it about 5 years ago now. She's remarried and it was the part about not seeing my kids every night that tore my heart out the most. Cried everyday for months over them. It will get better. Just keep your wits about you and don't drink. Drinking definitely worsened my depression and made me feel like I was losing my mind. Wishing you the best.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went through a divorce a couple of years ago, after 23 years of marriage (27 together). It's sad, but is also an amazing "open door" for happy things to come - a fresh start, on your terms. Wishing you the very best.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that Karate, stay strong!!
Old 06-26-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

ever see that movie fireproof karate? I dunno just seems so fast to me seems like just yest you 2 where splitting now this. I just assume this was a long time coming i guess what do i know.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are posting.
Are you getting any other "face support" for your feelings?

That's a lot of years.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Have you thought about legal separation for a while? You are moving very, very quickly. I was crazy in early sobriety and did things I am still paying for. Be delicate with yourself and try not to make huge decisions like a divorce. But if there is no repair then mediation can be swifter.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just want DONE ...........

Im sober ,and almost happy .......almost
Old 06-26-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Careful buddy...you and I are alike in some ways. I thought the same stuff in early sobriety too. I posted about this stuff here. But hell, I would have made some really bad deicsions had I gone through with all of them. As is, I am paying for crap I did back then now.

Try not to do things that are final in the first year. Its great advice that I didn't want to listen to either but now wish I had. I want you to be happy. But just like drinking and using you don't want short term happiness just to end some pain if it does not create lasting happiness. It is unlikely you know the difference right now, which is why these big decisions are best left for a clearer head later on. You can still get a divorce in 6 months or a year.

I am shocked if you have been honest with your lawyer they would advise you that this is a good idea.

Can you see that you desire to "Just want DONE..." is the same as a drink? I drank to get out of my head temporarily. It worked well, actually until it didn't. The impulsive decisions are great for a temp relief. Sometimes they are right but often they are wrong, because they are being made by your ego. Try to hold on man, fight the urge to make the knee jerk - that is the best thing I can share
Old 06-26-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
zjw

I just want DONE ...........

Im sober ,and almost happy .......almost
its funny having read many of your posts you saying this does not surprise me.

I can respect that. I hate hanging in the balance I like to get to the other side of problems none of this who knows how this will play out. I prefer to resolve problems and move on.

I've had to tackle a few big problems since I sobered up and ya know some where not always the best choices either. I just wanted DONE i wanted to move on. I wanted to cut my losses and get out from underneath those rocks etc...

Yeah I can relate. Just move forward in a positive direction once this is all behind you.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

sorry marriage

I am sorry to hear that divorce is not easy. 24 years along time. Stay sharp and sober and post often for support.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that Karate.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am finally dealing with issues related to my divorce now that I'm sober. I've been divorced almost 5 years and sober 19 months. It is actually easier dealing with these issues sober than when I chose to drink and just not feel anything. Stay strong.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Careful buddy...you and I are alike in some ways. I thought the same stuff in early sobriety too. I posted about this stuff here. But hell, I would have made some really bad deicsions had I gone through with all of them. As is, I am paying for crap I did back then now.

Try not to do things that are final in the first year. Its great advice that I didn't want to listen to either but now wish I had. I want you to be happy. But just like drinking and using you don't want short term happiness just to end some pain if it does not create lasting happiness. It is unlikely you know the difference right now, which is why these big decisions are best left for a clearer head later on. You can still get a divorce in 6 months or a year.

I am shocked if you have been honest with your lawyer they would advise you that this is a good idea.

Can you see that you desire to "Just want DONE..." is the same as a drink? I drank to get out of my head temporarily. It worked well, actually until it didn't. The impulsive decisions are great for a temp relief. Sometimes they are right but often they are wrong, because they are being made by your ego. Try to hold on man, fight the urge to make the knee jerk - that is the best thing I can share
Karate,
I really think jdooner makes some valid points and should be, at least, contemplated. I have no idea of your personal reasons, ....

Stay strong man ,
....and stay the course with your sobriety .