Notices

so frightened

Old 06-25-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy so frightened

Hi all, it's my day 1 and as per usual I'm sat in the corner of my room terrified of the outside world and feeling an immense amount of guilt, I know that this will subside as each day passes and I will be back to Normal in roughly 7~10 days, but I have been thinking there must be something I can do to just take the edge off this feeling of being so scared (besides having a drink of course) I can handle feeling sick constantly, I can handle sweating, I can handle a few days without sleep etc... But the feeling of feeling constantly anxious is so difficult, does anyone have any ideas. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome keeting. I am glad you are here.

Take it one day at a time. There is a lot of support and information here. Hang in there.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum keeting!!

For me when my mind starts messing with me and anxiety is kicking in, it's time to put my ipod in and go for a long walk in the fresh air, to clear all those thoughts away, I find it really helps.

You'll find loads of support and advice here, great to have you onboard!!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

watch some of your favorite old movies to take your mind off things for a bit.

hang in there and try not to dwell on it.
You can do this.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been there. Many times. Once the anxiety was so bad I hid in my closet.
You may want to check with your doctor and be brutally honest about your drinking.
I know, this seems impossible when you're so paralyzed with fear you're afraid to even make the phone call, let alone leave the house.
I went through this for ten years. What a way to live. It finally took the courage, after I had been sober for awhile, to go to an AA meeting. It changed my life. I found other people just like me. You'll find them here, too.

For me I just sweated it out and waited for the fourth day when I felt better. That, of course, was another reason to drink.
Wish I had the magic answer, but I don't. If things get bad go to a emergency room. Withdrawal can be deadly. I ended up in the hospital once and lied my way through it to get a Benzo.
Wish I could take it away for you, but I can't. You'll have to decide what to do.
Remember how you feel now and realize you never have to feel this way again if you don't pick up that first drink.

I feel for you. Stick around here and read and post. You'll find lots of sobriety and wisdom.
Best to you, and you can make it through this. One minute at a time if need be.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for you're advise guys, the closet story did put a smile on my face, it seem like you have all been in this position before and have come through it which is good to know people who are in my position can get through it even tho seems impossible it can be done.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Let your thoughts and fears come and go, try not to dwell on them, it's just your nervous system going haywire because it's so used to your body being intoxicated. Hang in there, you'll be glad you did. I've never looked back but I still remember how tough the first few days were.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anxiety sucks, but you can pull through it.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The best advice I got when I came to my anxiety is to embrace it and make it your friend. I know it sounds like a lot of BS, but it really does help. Fear feeds fear. Also, we have an over the counter herbal solution called Rescue Remedy. It takes the edge off anxiety (not hugely, but enough to make it easier to cope and apply the whole 'anxiety is my friend' mentality). It comes in a variety of forms. Don't get the spray or drops, because they are preserved in brandy, but you can get gummy lozenges which are alcohol free. I don't know if you can get it where you are but have a look around.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rocket queen have fantastic advise.

I've suffered from anxiety, panic disorder, etc for most of my life.
The day it can't hurt you is the day you embrace it.

Wise words were given to me years ago which meant I never had a panic attack again:
Has it ever physically hurt you? Has it ever made you die? Pass out? No. It's made you afraid. Anxiety is the bully of your own mind and he only talks trash. The day you stand up to him, he will fold.

Ride the wave.
Be self aware.
Shoulders tense? Loosen them
Breathing shallow? Box breathe.
Learn progressive muscle relaxation.
Learn to say STOP (out loud I'd need be) when you feel the bully coming or a negative thought gripping.

Most of all - you're not alone.
We ALL suffer anxiety. Just to various extents.

Some is good. If your house was on fire you wouldn't want to casually stroll around.
But when nothing becomes anxiety ridden, take it by the horns.

All my love to you xxx
Old 06-25-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you keeting.

I think posting & reading here will help with anxiety. Not feeling alone any more really made a difference to me. This feeling will pass and you'll rise above the misery. Hope you stay around and let us know how you are.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks for your post my friend
it takes me back to when i was just like you
having to hide away from the world and trying to withdraw from booze
i once locked myself in the toilet as there was a spider outside the door and i wouldnt come out
i would be throwing up just out of pure fear
i never want to be in that mess again
i would suggest seeing a dr and also try aa
aa saved my life and i dont live like your living anymore
its not easy but then anything worth having never is easy
my heart goes out to you and i hope one day you to will find the way out just like i did
Old 06-25-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Book reading and exercise could help.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The mental aspect of detoxing was always the hardest for me. Like you, I could deal with the physical sickness of the process but I had great difficulty escaping my own thoughts. I used to always ruminate about what other people thought of me when I was drunk because I would become such a different person and the next day I was terrified that I had made a fool of myself or offended someone.

Keep reminding yourself that your thoughts betray you and its the booze talking. Each hour that goes by, you are closer to being your normal self again. It helps to call up a friend or family member just have a chat and take your mind off things. Whatever you do, stay away from alcohol. Don't even entertain the thought of having a drink.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi, Keeting! Sorry to hear about your anxiety.

Breathing and feelings are interrelated. You could try taking a few minutes now and then to sit quietly and observe your breathing. Breathe deeply and slowly with your attention on your belly instead of your brain.

You could try a long slow "Om" or other sound of your choice, intoned in a way that vibrates your sinuses. The idea here is to occupy your mind and harmonize its activity with the physical resonance. You could also sing or even croon!

Maybe try some yoga poses or stretching, but go easy and be careful not to lose your balance or sprain something. The idea here is to do something physical instead of mental that will help release or burn off nervous energy.

Another suggestion comes from Morita Therapy, where instead of waiting for an unpleasant feeling or condition to pass before doing stuff, you accept the feeling as it is and do some small, practical, positive stuff anyway.

If you believe in a Creator, a simple conversational prayer in your own words could help as well.

You could also watch a stupid comedy or two. Laughter is the best medicine, they say.

Best wishes to you!
Old 06-26-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think I can take something from every comment, I should of looked up this forum a long time ago, it does help just speaking to people who know what I am talking about, this is not something that anyone can understand unless they have been through it themselves. Well I'm now on day 2 Oh fun and games, exhausted due to waking up multiple times with the night terrors, you all know the score but as someone said each hour that passes is a hour closer to getting back to normal. (I forget how that feels) I hope when I am through this I can return the favor and help other people through this like you guys have been helping me.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

As you just said to me, we are not alone. Good luck and keep going. I look forward to getting to know the new improved you.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi there. You are withdrawing from alcohol. There are medications that can help you. Phone an alcohol helpline or speak to your doctor.

If you think you are interested in AA phone them and they will help you.

Good luck and be very aware of your symptoms. Do you have a sensible friend to help you?
Old 06-26-2014, 01:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad you found us Keeting - welcome aboard

I found posting here daily really reminded me I did have a problem and that, even after I felt good again, I still wanted to stay sober

D
Old 06-26-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi keeting and congrats on day 2!

I hid in my house for the first week...I have horrible anxiety issues. But each day was a little better, you just have to hang in there.

I understand the fear and couldn't agree more with what everyone here is saying. My therapist tells me I am my worst enemy because I scare myself...which is true. I am in CBT now and working to change the way I think. Also learning to embrace it and ride it out.

I really feel for you because the anxiety really does suck. Lots of support here from people who understand, which helps alot.

Hang in there - you are doing great! One day at a time...