Notices

AA success rate

Old 06-25-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Cool

1) "...Since AA doesn't keep statistics..."

2) "...I have never seen anyone keeping statistics on anything in AA..."

Actually, #1 is untrue and I'm sorry the person who wrote #2 has never seen AA's survey process in action. AA does a membership survey [obviously not with 'all' membership (with about 5,000-10,000 of its members)] every four years.

I was a part of the last one, and here's a link to AA's website for their most recent survey results (2011)...............:

Alcoholics Anonymous : A.A. Membership Survey

(o:
NoelleR

P.S. Perhaps some of y'all will be a part of AA's next survey.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post

To be honest I am only concerned with my success rate.
That is also my main concern Gracie.

It's a two sided coin
I know many who are sober in AA
and also many in AA who went back out and died

we wish not to become one of those - one day at a time

Mountainman
Old 06-25-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My scientific analysis

I know a whole bunch of people who have been sober a long time and they attribute their sobriety to AA
Old 06-25-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

This is a selfish program. I'm sober today that's all that matters to me.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GwenCummings View Post
What is the success rate for untreated alcoholism? Let me see... Pick a number..... I would say 100% prematurely dead.

I think AA are the good guys in this scenario. X
According to the NESARC study done by the NIAAA, "About 75 percent of persons who recover from alcohol dependence do so without seeking any kind of help, including specialty alcohol (rehab) programs and Alcoholics Anonymous.

Only 13 percent of people with alcohol dependence ever receive specialty alcohol treatment. The majority of alcoholics treat themselves."

Regarding AA success rates, I believe the 12-Steps work for those people who believe it will work. But when it comes to medical issues of life and death (addiction), I prefer scientific research and data to guide me in my sobriety efforts. Spirituality is a separate issue for me, completely apart from my decision to get sober. That is, I do not believe my drinking was caused in part by a spiritual malady.

Now, I'm not advocating self-treatment for addiction, but I don't reject the idea either. It seems simple to me. If one needs help, seek it out. If AA/NA and the 12-Steps do not work, try another approach. There are certainly many options available in 2014.

http://www.spectrum.niaaa.nih.gov/me....ZLv5rxx2.dpuf
Old 06-25-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post

dont you think with all the millions who come to aa that we should have muliti millions of sober memebers with huge long term sobriety ?

been to a round up or convention before and see the sobriety countdown? pretty wild.

just because someone has this long term sobriety- im guesin up in the 20 and over years, doesn't mean they aren't as sick as the person with one week. I have seen that demonstrated numerous times.

its also that person with one week, one month, six months that impress me. I remember how hard that was.

people with double digit sobriety have to die,too. I took a minute here before posting and counted over 400 years of sobriety in people that have died this last year, just people I knew. that was less that 20 people.that's not counting the ones i have met at meetings that have also gone on.and that's just small towns Michigan.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Serious question, not meant for you to answer or to shame you. Have you included AA on your inventory? If not you should. You may want to look at the turn around and your role in this resentment. If you can be real honest and conclude it is tied to your son's death I bet this is a good starting point on why you resent it so much.

To me desy, everything is tied to you being stuck at that moment in time. You have much fight, as do I. Sadness and pain are easily substituted with anger, at least for me. We lash out, as it's easier than grieving. But the steps don't work this way. We need to release to move forward. I think I am just getting this now actually. I need to release the lonely, scared, hurt kid inside me in order to move forward with my program. Yet, my will and mind have been the only things to save me. But have they really? How did I get here? This paradox is starting to crumble and the path is being shown to me by my higher power, not God. It has guided me and with this guidance is still pain that I need to endure.

I have never lost a child and I hope I never do. But I lost myself early on in my youth. And I have been lost ever since. I can't be alone in my own head and so I have become addicted to anything and everything that gets me out of my head. But to deal I have to release this boy who is terrified, bloody, left for dead.

I am sorry for your pain. I can feel it desy. But I hope you can release it and move forward. I hope my experience can help play some small role.
thanks for your post although i dont understand why you feel i have a resentment for aa

do you know what i did last night ? i went to a meeting and shared at the meeting and lucky for me there was a new comer in the room

her friend who brought her to the meeting asked me if i could have a quick chat with the new comer as she felt something when i had shared
so over i went and let the girl talk her head off
all about how her kids are gone and how she is now in a hostel with no where to go and she got so much from my share as i had been there

so we ended up talking for quite a long time after the meeting and i could see in her eyes hope that maybe there is a way out she was happy finaly someone understood
she reminded me of me when i first came into aa and all i did was do what was given to me in aa

i came away feeling good about me again and happy in my heart and i will do it again today : ) i am always around the fellowship doing this and more as this is what aa is about once you have worked the steps and got to 12
this is the new way of living just being good and kind and helping others ( done this now for 6 years daily before anyone says its a honeymoon or a 2 stepper rubbish )

and this is the reason i am kicking bums in aa as i am just fed up with the people who do nothing but sit there shouting about god and how there life is changed
i tell them dont tell me show me get into service for aa and pay back

no they can not as something else in there life is more important and they dont have the time comes the answer,

sobriety has to be number 1 in life for me.

and i work my steps and help others to help me heal and it works for me
god doesnt work for me can you imagine me getting on my hands and knees and thanking god for me being sober to watch my lad die in the way he did ?

should i really be grateful for such a miracle that i was sober all the way through it ?
Old 06-25-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
thanks for your post although i dont understand why you feel i have a resentment for aa
Because you cannot accept the steps as they were written. You need to have your own idea, a different idea of how the program should be practiced.

Further you are on a mission fueled by what I believe is your pain over your son to convince others what AA is and what it is not. Even in your footer it is evident to me you cannot accept the program for what it is.

I just feel your pain, which is why I have reached out to you. However, it is also evident that you might not be ready. I wish you the best and hope one day you can accept and grieve to move past your suffering.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
been to a round up or convention before and see the sobriety countdown? pretty wild.

just because someone has this long term sobriety- im guesin up in the 20 and over years, doesn't mean they aren't as sick as the person with one week. I have seen that demonstrated numerous times.

its also that person with one week, one month, six months that impress me. I remember how hard that was.

people with double digit sobriety have to die,too. I took a minute here before posting and counted over 400 years of sobriety in people that have died this last year, just people I knew. that was less that 20 people.that's not counting the ones i have met at meetings that have also gone on.and that's just small towns Michigan.
to me your not looking at the problem at all your pretending there isnt one
some meetings around me are so weak in sobrity its scary we have about 10 really long term members around and most of the 20 years old members have gone and not died just gone

so maybe its only in my area this is a problem but i suspect if people were honest they would see it in there own meetings as the rooms should be full to bursting with all the people that have come through aa doors over 75 years
and yet its only 2 or 3 % that make it past 20 years or more

so again i say to anyone dont worry about the 2 or 3 % figure just enjoy your time in aa saying all the things your saying now for how ever long it lasts but from what i see most will not be around saying them in 10 years time it will be other new comers who will be saying them and on and on it goes
Old 06-25-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

This thread reminds me of the observation that there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. 1 in 20 alcoholics of the variety that need AA, spontaneously recover? I would find it more likely to say they spontaneously combust.

The only statistic that matters to me is that I am sober today.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Old 06-25-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eddiebuckle View Post
This thread reminds me of the observation that there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. 1 in 20 alcoholics of the variety that need AA, spontaneously recover? I would find it more likely to say they spontaneously combust.

The only statistic that matters to me is that I am sober today.
Did you mean to say 19 out of 20? Because as you wrote it, 1 in 20 means that 5% of all alcoholics recover on their own, which isn't unbelievable.

If you did mean 19 out of 20 (95%), and if you're suggesting anyone here believes that 95% of all alcoholics "spontaneously" recover, then you're making a classic straw man argument. I doubt anyone on SR believes any serious alcoholic spontaneously recovers. Stopping takes effort and work, but some of us are suggesting that many alcoholics/addictions are able to stop drinking without formal help, rehab or self-help groups like AA.

In fact, this is certainly true as there are a number of regular posters on this site who had done exactly that.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
If AA was working for you for three years and then it didn't and you went back out and now you're back in AA and sober are you considered a success or a failure? What is the point of this thread?
I have to ask this again since it was ignored. I suspect it's turning out just as the OP had hoped.

Bravo.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
1) "...Since AA doesn't keep statistics..."

2) "...I have never seen anyone keeping statistics on anything in AA..."

Actually, #1 is untrue and I'm sorry the person who wrote #2 has never seen AA's survey process in action. AA does a membership survey [obviously not with 'all' membership (with about 5,000-10,000 of its members)] every four years.

I was a part of the last one, and here's a link to AA's website for their most recent survey results (2011)...............:

Alcoholics Anonymous : A.A. Membership Survey

(o:
NoelleR

P.S. Perhaps some of y'all will be a part of AA's next survey.
The survey has nothing to do with statistics of recovery rates in AA. It's basically a make work project for a few people at GSO and a waste of time and money.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I personally believe that time spent working on sobriety is more conducive to it than time spent arguing about the best way to do it.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post

I personally believe that time spent working on sobriety is more conducive to it than time spent arguing about the best way to do it.
nothing wrong with a good debate
been going on since the beginning of time

when it get's to arguing probably time to opt out

Mountainman
Old 06-25-2014, 10:02 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I agree AA not being for everyone,it wasn't for me.I have been to thousands of meetings,
I haven't been to one in 18 years or more,I think I just wanted to be sober, more than I wanted to be drunk,What ever works is whats right for the person
Old 06-25-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Did you mean to say 19 out of 20? Because as you wrote it, 1 in 20 means that 5% of all alcoholics recover on their own, which isn't unbelievable.
I said that in the sense of 1 in 20 recover without effort or premeditation. To this alcoholic, that's pure fantasy.

I couldn't recover with all the effort and premeditation I could muster on my own for 25 years - I needed to get desperate enough to reach out to a roomful of strangers to get sober. That roomful of support became my higher power, and in my opinion the OP is missing the point by obsessing about other peoples concept of higher power when the fact that they are both sober is a gob smacking miracle.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:26 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I'm going to make a vow that I never again contribute to another "success rate" or "what works best" type thread. I find that whenever I do get into these types of discussions I allow my inclination to be right take over, and I end up being annoyed by my behavior.

The truth is we have the same goal, and we all have our preferences, and at this point in history there are enough different recovery modalities that just about everyone should be able to find something that works.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eddiebuckle View Post
I said that in the sense of 1 in 20 recover without effort or premeditation. To this alcoholic, that's pure fantasy.

I couldn't recover with all the effort and premeditation I could muster on my own for 25 years - I needed to get desperate enough to reach out to a roomful of strangers to get sober. That roomful of support became my higher power, and in my opinion the OP is missing the point by obsessing about other peoples concept of higher power when the fact that they are both sober is a gob smacking miracle.
My apologies, I didn't see the OP's use of the word "spontaneous". I do agree with you, I doubt than anyone suffering from addiction or alcoholism recovers "without effort or premeditation".

Now, I'll resume my vow