Notices

Drinking dreams back in earnest

Old 06-23-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking dreams back in earnest

So, a few people on this site know I've been struggling recently. I'm very conscious of the risk of a relapse and I'm desperately trying to fight through my anxiety disorder.

I would have thought sleep would be my only reprieve, but it appears not. Last night, I dreamt that I broke my sobriety by downing one glass of red wine. Then, I stopped and hid the glass in the cupboard, scared that I would be found out and worrying that my breath smelt of booze. I also dreamt the other day that I was taking sneaky swigs from a bottle of rose at some social occasion, where I must have felt left out.

I got these dreams a bit in very early recovery (~ 1 month), but they had been less severe in frequency until these last couple of weeks.

I worry that this is telling me something. Hopefully, to be more careful than ever at this time to not let my guard down.

Has anyone else experienced an increased frequency of these dreams when they have been struggling through a period in their sobriety?
Old 06-23-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always just thought of those dreams as dreams.
I've never attached much meaning to them.

I still have dreams about high school - but I don't want to go back there

I'm sorry you're having them tho - it can't be helping the anxiety.

One thing that helped me when I was struggling was remembering the AV has no body - no arms no legs - it needs our cooperation to get its fix.

Just seeing things that way helped remind me that I, and my conscious mind, held all the cards here

D
Old 06-23-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had all the same kind of things happen to me early on. You just need to hold on long enough, those impulses and cravings do get less and most go away completely. If you drink, these cravings will only come back stronger. Hang in there and get past 6 months and it should start to get better.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had some crazy dreams the first few weeks, they eventually calm down, hang in there!!
Old 06-23-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I dream most nights of alcohol, its bad, like i grab a case of beer but go to open it and wake up....
Old 06-23-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I had a lot of such dreams. In every one I was drinking but not wanting to drink. I was wondering how I would tell people or whether they would notice. I really didn't want to be drinking at all.

I took them to be a positive sign that my subconscious wanted to get sober too. That underneath all my confusion, there was a very genuine desire to get well.

Maybe it's that way with you. Perhaps your dreams reflect your sincerity about getting sober.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have no fear! Dreaming about a relapse is a good sign, although an uncomfortable sometimes scary experience. Rest assured you have no subconscious intention to drink. The subconscious is simply playing out a fear you have of drinking again.

Quick example: New parents rarely talk about this, but some have overpowering "urges" to harm their newborn. They "see" or imagine themselves doing terrible things that harm or kill the child. This is quite normal - it's simply the mind playing out the worst fears of the parent. Likewise, this is what your brain is doing. Years on many alcoholics (including this one) will have the occasional "drunk dream."

Now if you had posted "It's all good - I got this," THEN I would be a little more concerned.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

The only good thing about drinking dreams is waking up to find they were only dreams! All of mine involve hiding booze, which is what I always did. And it's usually like I've got a dozen or so bottles stashed here and there and the whole dream is about sneaking from one spot to another, nearly getting caught each time. Sometimes spilling it and struggling to clean up the mess before I'm caught. Tortuous really but, like I say, I'm relieved they are only dreams!
Old 06-23-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alcohol played such a large part in our lives I think it is inevitable we are going to dream about it. I drink-dream all the time, sometimes I drink, sometimes I don't but I'm always glad when I wake up, I think that says it all really!
Old 06-23-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm at around six months ( 24 weeks ), and I had several of them in the last week or two.