Notices

Non Alcoholic beer

Old 04-06-2006, 03:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I used to say "I drink beer because I love the taste..." What a crock of sh!t.

My soft drink of choice these days is Fresca. I love the taste of Fresca -- funny thing is I don't ever remember sitting down and drinking a whole case of the stuff!
Old 04-06-2006, 03:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think N/A beer can really help beer drinkers that have decided to get sober! I think beer itself if drinken frequently and long enough can be SOMEWHAT habit-forming. Much like Like say... grape soda. Don't get me wrong, the reason people start drinking beer is for the buzz but once the buzz gets old and that person decides to improve their health and/or life, the craving for the beer is still there. The habit of drinking is still there. N/A beer is perfect for those beer lovers. It allows you to sip beer while listening to music or hanging with friends without the negative effects. I recommend it.

Reminds me of the saying: If you hang around a barber shop long enuf, you end up getting a haircut.......

Most tend to stay away.

The hard cores will tell you to take a newcomers chip.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
where the livin' is easy

Somehow this reminds me--when I had first been sober for a couple of years, I decided to try non-alcoholic beer. Just as a pleasantly-flavored thirst-quencher for the summer heat, you understand . . .I bought the kind with the most appealling label (reminiscent of those imported beers I used to love back before I knew better), carefully refrigerated it, thought about it continuously until the next afternoon, chilled a glass, and then it was time at last . . .

I took out a bottle, fondling it lovingly. I popped the top and carefully poured a glassfull, noting that it looked and acted just like beer! I inhaled deeply of the rich, seductive aroma--again, just like (insert Homer Simpson's voice here) BEER!! I can still remember the thrill of feeling those tiny carbonation bubbles popping up against my face!

I took a big, satisfying gulp--but wait--something's not right--something's missing--can't quite put my finger on it. . .

Finished the "beer". My thirst was quenched. Didn't want another. That was a first. New meaning to the term "let-down". :sigh1: Didn't buy any more. The rest of the 6-pack sat in my refrigerator for months. Another first.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Being a Sailor I say "I never went to a ***** house for a kiss" why tease yourself??? For me it wouldn't work but it's your choice... My 2 cents worth.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

well, one will lead to a six pack
with it's 0.5% alcohol level
that's a beer
Old 04-08-2006, 06:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by fraankie
well, one will lead to a six pack
with it's 0.5% alcohol level
that's a beer
And 72 ounces of OJ equals one drink.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
BitSizeDayz

Ok Doorknob not following your train of thuoght. Please add more??????
Old 04-10-2006, 07:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Under Indiana Law, anyone with a blood alcohol
content (BAC) above .08% is considered to be
intoxicated. According to lawyer John Roska of
the Land of Lincoln Legal Assistance Foundation, “a
150-pound person would apparently have to drink a
whole case of non-alcoholic brew (24 bottles) in one
hour to do that. But it wouldn’t necessarily take a
lot... to produce something more than zero [on a breathalyzer
test].”It is illegal for a minor in Indiana to operate a motor vehicle
with BAC higher than .02% under the Zero Tolerance
provision. Thus, the individual in the example above would
only have to drink six bottles of a non-alcoholic beverage
within an hour to be legally vulnerable behind the wheel.
Additionally, according to a report published by Indiana
University, a standard glass of orange juice contains between
.2% and .5% alcohol. Six glasses of orange juice could
theoretically create the same culpability in a minor as six
bottles of non-alcoholic beer.
http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?...icp=1&.intl=us
Old 04-10-2006, 07:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
BitSizeDayz

Sh1t thats not good you see you not to old to learn something new everyday
Thanks Doorknob
Old 04-10-2006, 08:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

No problemo. The second article, on the lower part of the page, is interesting too. Basically, it says the placebo effect of NA beer is more significant than the trace alcohol content.

Ultimately, the alcohol content of non-alcoholic beer
isn’t as signifi cant as the drink’s similarity to authentic
beer. If the alcohol content were truly noteworthy, there
would also be reports about the effects of “Orange Juice
Overindulgence,” as the two drinks have comparable
alcohol content. However, the placebo effect of
non-alcoholic beer has attracted researchers’ attention, as has
the ability of “near beer” to normalize the sensory aspects
of beer in preparation for future alcoholic indulgence. “In
the November issue of the Journal Alcoholism: Clinical
& Experimental Research, a team of California scientists
report that smell may be enough to trigger cravings and a
subsequent relapse among certain alcoholics.”
Old 04-28-2006, 02:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Maybe not a good first post

Originally Posted by doorknob
And 72 ounces of OJ equals one drink.
Does anyone have a "FACTUAL" link to the claim of Alcohol in Concetrated OJ ?

Not one of those garbage "pass this on to a friend" emails that has no source or signature.
A real medical journal or something trackable, FDA Etc...

Thanks,

HighnDry
Almost 6 years now
Old 04-28-2006, 03:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Unless you've decided to begin drinking responsiblely again (or attempt to), there is no positive benefit to consuming so-called non-alcoholic beer. Just as light beer leads to regular beer leads to mixed drinks leads to hard liquor during the course of an alcoholic's disease progression, so will non-alcoholic beer lead to harder stuff eventually. That is unless you can drink in moderation, which most of you can't, which is why you're here in the first place--and if you could, you wouldn't be playing with non alcoholic beers, you'd be drinking regular drinks.

Alcohol content, measured by volume, is simply a number a drunk needs to figure out how many of a particular drink they need to get the desired buzz. Many people begin drinking budweisers on weekends... soon, they're downing a 6 pack a night to get that buzz. Before they know it, it's a 12 pack a day. When they need more and more, it soon becomes evident that beer simply won't cut it anymore, because the quantity they'd need to consume to acheive a stupor is no longer feasible. That's when they're intrigued with mixed drinks like OJ and Vodka, or whatever--they can drink less and get even more drunk than they did with beer, oh joy! But, sooner or later it dawns on them why bother mixing the booze with anything to begin with? Then you have a full-fledged, hard liquor drinking alcoholic, who measures their intake in fifths of gallons. What makes any of you think that consuming a drink that contains .5% alcohol won't lead you to the same place as beginning with a drink that contains 4.5% alcohol did? Will the journey be a little longer? LOL.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:48 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

It's like drinking de-caffeinated coffee, it just doesn't make sense.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:11 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by highndry
Does anyone have a "FACTUAL" link to the claim of Alcohol in Concetrated OJ ?

Not one of those garbage "pass this on to a friend" emails that has no source or signature.
A real medical journal or something trackable, FDA Etc...

Thanks,

HighnDry
Almost 6 years now
The information shows up in various references about natural fermantation of grapes, illustrating that any fruit juice containing sugar begins to produce alcohol. This isn't an FDA or medical journal, but those would be fairly easy to find:
http://www.french-paradox.net/fpbksb1.html
Old 04-28-2006, 04:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by N.G.S
Other then it's 0.5% alcohol rating, is there any downside for recovering alcoholics to drink this every now and again?

If you are an alcoholic and you're drinking non-alcoholic beer, you are not recovering. If you were recovered you'd have no need to drink it in the first place.

On the other hand, if you are non-alcoholic, drink all the real beer you want. Why fool around with the fake stuff?
Old 04-28-2006, 04:26 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Gary2140
It's like drinking de-caffeinated coffee, it just doesn't make sense.
My mom drinks decaf. She likes coffee, but doesn't like the effect of caffeine. The AA meeting I went to the other night had a pot of decaf as well as regular. I should have drank the decaf. I had a hard time sleeping that night.

DK
Old 04-28-2006, 04:29 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob
My mom drinks decaf. She likes coffee, but doesn't like the effect of caffeine. The AA meeting I went to the other night had a pot of decaf as well as regular. I should have drank the decaf. I had a hard time sleeping that night.

DK

I used to be the coffee maker at my home group. One night we ran out of caffinated coffee. So I just made two pots of decaf. They never knew the difference and I bet it kept some of them awake. LOL!
Old 04-28-2006, 04:53 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Some time ago, I had an interlock on my car. If there was any alcohol in my system, I could not start my car. On one occasion, I drank a couple of O'Douls, and it did not register. It was supposed to be sensitive to .001 BAC. However, I had some avon lip balm that registered something ridiculous. I don't advocate NA beer, but I think the danger is in the psychological effects, rather than physical. I don't doubt that it can trigger cravings. I'll bet that those microbrewed rootbeers that come in brown bottles could be a trigger as well. I remember the first time I tried to quit drinking. I went to the store looking for alternative beverages, and everything I came home with was in a beer style bottle.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:02 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

doorknob,
I agree. You would have to drink a hell of a lot of O'Doule's for it register on an interlock. Eventually the alcohol would probably activate the craving for more.

But it is the mental twist that gets an alcoholic to drink NA beer in the first place. I have seen people in AA who couldn't see a bottle of Martinelli's sparkling cider without remarking that seeing it made them think of alcohol and want to drink. That is the alcoholic mind. That mind will always get an alkie back to a drink. That's why I needed a new mind, a complete re-arrangement. Today I can see something that might remind me of drinking alcohol, but it doesn;t make me want to drink it.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:33 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

So, if they drink Martinelli's, are they 'not recovering'?