Notices

I already fell off the wagon.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

I already fell off the wagon.

I'm not meant for this forum. I have no self control. 1 bottle of wine deep... I know not much... But still. I'm only 26. Maybe I need to grow up more. I don't know.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not to worry Rosie, we are here for everyone!!

Though don't use age as an excuse not to get Sober, if alcohol is affecting your life at 26 then you need to make a change, continuing on until 30 is not an option or a responsible way forward!!

What made you buy a bottle of wine? . . . you need to completely change your lifestyle for this to work, pour out all alcohol and change your routine to not facilitate the consumption of alcohol!!

What went wrong?
Old 06-21-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rosie88 View Post
I'm not meant for this forum. I have no self control. 1 bottle of wine deep... I know not much... But still. I'm only 26. Maybe I need to grow up more. I don't know.
I think you're exactly right for this forum. SR is for people struggling.
We've all been there, trust me

It hard to change our lives...but it can be done. Use the support and guidance here. Make a plan.

You can do this - if I can anyone can

D
Old 06-21-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm 27. I felt exactly the same way at 26, but now I'm sober. I was drinking a 750 mL bottle of spirits every day. You can't anticipate what will happen.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

My neighbor and I usually drink together and play chess outside. I know. Weird hobby. Needless to say... Peer pressure. He came with me to the liquor store. And we sat outside and played chess. Pretty harmless right? But now I'm sitting in my apartment watching law and order trying to stop myself from going and getting another bottle.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

if ya don't stop now, you may not grow up just yet......

stopping now will help you to make awesome adult decisions....
Old 06-21-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

I guess it really is easier said than done.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I guess it really is easier said than done.
Yep, but it's worth it if you do it. And anyone can if they desire to enough...you included.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm a little bit younger than you, 24. I quit and I'm happy I did. My life's not perfect but it's better than it was when I was drinking. Most of the time I didn't cause too much trouble either, but I was clearly addicted and felt like ****. Just because you slipped up once doesn't mean you're not ready to stop. This isn't the easiest thing to do but it is worth it
Old 06-21-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Like Dee said, you're exactly meant for this forum Rosie. Think about it, if we all quit on our first attempt, this site wouldn't exist.

I know it's frustrating to cave-in, but the best advise I can give is to get back up and try again, ask for help when you feel weak, and try something new to help stay sober. You will find that you are stronger than you believe you are.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Not sure what "but still, I'm only 26 is supposed to mean. Maybe you'd like to elaborate.

Nobody forced me to get sober. Not really anyway. My wife tried - and failed. A couple attorneys tried and failed. 3 judges tried and failed. Thankfully, it's up to the drinker to decide when enough's enough. I've met people well into recovery at 16 years old. I've also known many 60+ yr olds who are convinced they can figure out a way to 1. drink successfully or 2. work their own program of recovery successfully and neither has been working for decades.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Rosie88, yea we are here for everyone. I can't remember how many times I fell of the wagon, however , about to be 4 years sober. So please just dust yourself off and get back on the wagon, everyone is rootin for ya.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

DayTrader... What I meant by that is that I feel like I'm so young and it's hard to grasp the fact that I'm an alcoholic. That is all.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Rosie, I stopped drinking when i was 26 (I'm 28 now) because it was ruining my life and health. My drinking progressed rapidly and in the space of just a few years i went from thinking i had a drinking problem to daily drinking. By the end i couldn't do anything without a drink first and it literally nearly killed me. Don't put off getting sober, things will only get worse and it will get more difficult to stop. SR is a great place, there are lots of kind people on here who will offer support and guidance. My life has transformed since i got sober and the freedom is amazing. I hope you stick around!
Old 06-22-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am 43, and I would like you to be spared of the following:

DUIs
job loss
jail
institutions
loss of a marriage or relationship

All those things can happen if you continue to drink.

You are young and a sober life can be beyond your wildest dreams.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sarge

You can do it Rosie! I am only 31 and know that the only way for me to live my life is to not drink. I have had many reasons (in my alcoholic brain) to relapse over the last few years, and I did.

I am done with excuses. I am a 31 year old alcoholic and am taking care of myself first. One huge thing that helped me this time around was letting my friends know that I was quitting drinking. My true friends understood and have been awesome and respectful about it.

The beginning sucks, because I had to literally exclude myself from having a social life due the temptation of relapse. I found other things to do for the first month or two. You don't have to be older to be an alcoholic, there is nothing wring with admitting that you have a problem. Personally, I think the fact that you know that you have a problem and want to fix it makes you a smart cookie!

Stay strong Rosie!
Old 06-22-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You just started, keep coming to this forum and venting and keep throwing the pasta against the wall, eventually it will stick.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You are exactly meant for this forum. There is no one here who hasn't been where you are and felt what you are feeling now!
If you had self-control you wouldn't be alcoholic, lol! You can do it! Try harder!
That said, 26 isn't that young. You aren't a child, you have already grown up. You know what you need to do otherwise you wouldn't be here. I would like to encourage you and tell you that you can be successful at this.

I wish I could go back and speak to the 26 year old me. I would give her a big hug and then tell her how the cow ate the cabbage! I would try to save her years of frustration and disappointment. Years of lost jobs, friends, lovers, freedom.....years of broken dreams. Just to get smashed.

Years of brain damage, physiological damage, psychological damage. Quit now, you won't regret it.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm younger then 26 and use to defend my alcoholic actions by bringing up how old I am. It doesn't matter how old you are, quit while you're still ahead!
Old 06-22-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was 23 when I first realized I had a serious drinking problem and tried to stop. Made it about 7 weeks sober. It didn't take and I still wanted to be in the party scene. Fast forward a decade later, I really wish it had. It would take quite some time for me to catalogue the list of misfortunes that have befallen me the past decade because I decided to keep binge drinking. Point being, it's not too early to stop if you know it's a problem, and things only go downhill if you keep going, at least they did for me. Hopefully you can sort it out sooner than I did, this forum is a good place to start.