Notices

I already fell off the wagon.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rosie88 View Post
DayTrader... What I meant by that is that I feel like I'm so young and it's hard to grasp the fact that I'm an alcoholic. That is all.
Hi Rosie,

At the age of 29, I completely understand where you're coming from with this statement.

Since stopping in January, I have definitely undergone a grieving process, where I have lamented having to accept that I can no longer attempt to drink socially. Deep down, I know that it will always end up being the bottle (or latterly, in my case, more than that), rather than a glass or two. It may have taken weeks, or months, for me to get to that stage, but the downward spiral was always there.

I applaud you for recognising that you need help and reaching out so young. Someone here told me not to be upset about the age that alcoholism had struck me, but instead be grateful for all the sober, happy years I potentially have ahead of me. Not everyone here has been that lucky. Use your sobriety as a reason to discover how much you may have missed out on.

Lastly, please don't beat yourself up about falling off the wagon. I have had detoxes, relapses and a rehab stay. Many alcoholics don't admit they have a problem, and/or are too scared or don't want to quit. As I saw on someone's signature: 'we are not failing as long as we keep trying'. And it sounds like you are.

Hang in there. *big hug*
Old 06-23-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm not meant for this forum. I have no self control. 1 bottle of wine deep... I know not much... But still. I'm only 26. Maybe I need to grow up more. I don't know.
It takes what it takes.

Only you can decide when you are ready.

No judgments here except to say when I was 26 I wish I had taken a closer look at my drinking.

Took me another nine years before I realized I had a problem
Old 06-23-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm not meant for this forum. I have no self control. 1 bottle of wine deep... I know not much... But still. I'm only 26. Maybe I need to grow up more. I don't know.
Dee is right, just read some of the other posts. I would say your comments are more the norm lately. Posting helps.

How about a change in mindset though? For starters look at what you wrote. I am not meant for this forum. Written in the negative. How about I slipped, I need some help with my program. Here is what I am am doing any thoughts from others to strengthen it?

Secondly, you rationalize your decisions by saying you are only 26. You have given yourself an out as to why you engage in destructive behavior. So do you want to wait ten years till you have squandered more opportunities to turn your life around? Of course not. Age is irrelevant to recovery.

Good luck and keep posting.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Hi Rosie, I am 26 too and i have almost 3 years sober. We will always be growing up, even when we are 80 Don't beat yourself up too much.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I think realizing you have no self control when it comes to alcohol is actually a pretty big realization to have at 26 and well done. If you're convinced of that (and it bothers you to have a lack of self control) then there are ways to get help, but it will involve reaching out for support within your community. I've heard it said that we need to chase sobriety with the same intensity we chase alcohol.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

A YEAR WITHOUT ALCOHOL
MAY 7, 2014 BY ADVENTURES OF A SOBER SEŅORITA

A Year Without Alcohol | The Adventures of a Sober Seņorita

I read this a few months ago, about 3 months after my 1 year of sobriety. And though we are probably two completely different people I related to a lot of what she said. Granted she's about 2 years older you might find some inspiring words in this blog post. And it doesn't matter how old you are. Once you've come to the end of the good days of drinking it's all downhill form here. Whether you've reached it at 18 or 48, the drunk party is over. And you don't have to be disappointed! Far from it. This is a new beginning. You still got lots of years left to enjoy, young years. This girl's post is a great example of what's awaiting you after you put the bottle of wine down. The drinking is over but your life is just getting started. And it will be better. Trust me.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

you are not in the wrong place. the important thing is that you posted.

i suffer from alcoholism. it's not only a disease or affliction that effects my current consciousness or state of mind, but my subconscious as well. it makes me confused, makes me feel isolated, it lies to me and it really gets off on making me afraid. so i try and stay focused best i can and everyday i remind myself of these facts.

today the one that got up earliest has the most sober time.

on tough days it's very hard to remind myself of these truths. the worst one is that i can handle one drink. i know then to call someone and quickly grab a milkshake or ice cream. it helps it really does.

hang in there and stay in touch with another recovering alcoholic.