Notices

Afraid to tell therapist and psychiatrist

Old 06-21-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Afraid to tell therapist and psychiatrist

Hello again everyone!

So here's the deal... I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 about four years ago. I have been faithfully going to a therapist and a psychiatrist that whole time. I take my meds regularly and am the "model" patient. Except for one thing... I told them that I had quit drinking two years ago. Of course that was not true. I just lied about it.

I figure I really need to tell them. It would probably help me in the long run. I'm just afraid they will be disappointed in me.

I was drinking upwards of two to three bottles of wine a day when I was home. A variety if things if I had gone out with friends. I just feel like the drinking was probably masking a lot of my bipolar that I need to tell them about.

Anywho... I guess you could say I'm ashamed of myself.

I don't know how to get up the nerve to tell them the truth. :-(
Old 06-21-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Rosie, I wouldn't worry about it or get yourself down over it, we all did many things when drinking that we could look back upon, but we can't change the past, only how we live moving forward.

They probably do need to know though, in order to treat you and for you to get the best out of the sessions.

I'd say write it all down, write what you want to say, the whole truth and then bring that piece of paper with you so that you don't miss anything when you tell them.

What's the worst that can happen? . . . they want to help you at the end of the day, that's their job, and probably will really appreciate you being honest!!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Rosie

I did the same thing for years. Finally, at my appointment with my therapist on Thursday, I was totally honest and told her everything. I thought she probably wouldn't want to see me anymore. It does affect my meds, and she explained that. Actually, she was really ok and glad that I was finally honest with her. Now I can be on the right treatment plan.

It is a hard thing to do, but I have to say it felt really good to be honest for a change. I have lied to everyone about this for years..

Good luck
Old 06-21-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Therapy is actually the one place on earth where it is all about you.

You only hurt yourself by withholding or lying. Mental health professionals aren't going to "fire" you or break up with you unless you are unwilling to move forward.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Thanks everyone! I just don't want to disappoint anyone. But you're all right... It's in my best interests to tell them.

Haha I guess that's what I get for really liking my therapist and psychiatrist. They are both amazing. They work in the same area and talk amongst each other in order to get the best treatment.

I guess I am afraid to change meds again. I hate the med switch up. All the initial side effects are so annoying. But it's for the best in the end!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's really not as bad as you think. It's important for you and your health.

I know what you mean about the meds. They are actually adding another one for me, and after detox, I am really tired of feeling sick. So many side effects, and I always seem to get most of them..

Glad you are getting help, and yup...be honest. Bet they surprise you...
Old 06-21-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Thanks Luper! I have been on the run around before on antipsychotics for my bipolar. They put me on this one med that made me flat... It's hard to explain. I basically had no emotion. People were always asking me what was wrong and I remember being so upset one time and wanting to cry but I couldn't. All I could do was sit there and stare into the distance. Needless to say... I'm not on that anymore.

I'm on a few that are "seemingly" working for me but who knows what all the alcohol was masking so I have no idea.

I will suck it up and come clean!
Old 06-21-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there. Therapists are trained professionals who do not judge, take personally, or become disappointed by anything their clients tell them. Tell them. I tell my therapist all sorts of stuff I'm ashamed of and she never once judged me or felt disappointed.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sure they cannot fully help you if they don't know you. Good luck friend.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Of course! Thanks for the support everyone!

I will inform them when I have my next appointment!