Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Accidentally took a gulp of friends vodka tonic last night!!!

Notices

Old 06-19-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I went to a music show at a bar last night. Ordered a water from the bar, drank most of it, then turned and talked to friends. As I was turned, the bartender took my drink away but left my friends vodka. I grabbed it (looked exactly like my water) and took a bug gulp. Immediately I realized my mistake, but what could I do?! I don't think it's a slip, totally accidental, but I can't believe that happened. I never go to bars, and if I do I'm always adamant about ordering water or a mocktail that couldn't be mistaken for a drink. Completely random that this happened, and I really wish it hadn't. Well they say the first year is filled with lessons, and I guess this was one for me. I will never order another water that looks just like a cocktail...
Old 06-19-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you made a mistake. Learn from it and move on

D
Old 06-19-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

don't worry about it
Old 06-19-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep, unintentional so don't sweat it.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't worry too much...more be grateful it only had vodka in it.

Please don't turn your back on a drink in a bar. Keep it in your hand, if need be.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ouch. A mistake is a mistake. Had you wrestled the drink off your friend and downed the lot that’d be completely different.

But in the least judgemental fashion possible in situations like this - what the jimminy were you thinking of being in a bar in the first place? If you choose to put yourself in situations where accidents can happen then accidents WILL happen eventually. Control the things you can control and keep yourself safe.

Patronising rant over, sorry. I’m just glad you’re OK.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would have gagged.

The GULP caught my attention as I was just going over some fishing stuff.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry about it, you didn't go on to get drunk, you saw the mistake and stopped!!
Old 06-20-2014, 01:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the helpful feedback and comments, your words helped! I drove over an hour to see a friends band in the big city (which happened to be at a bar). I agree that bars are pointless and potentially dangerous places for people who don't drink anymore but it was a unique situation. Truly thought I was being really vigilant, however I will definitely never set a drink down again if I'm around people with alcoholic drinks.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Yup, it's a lesson, not a slip. Same thing happened to me in my first year.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Similar thing happened to me - I was at a work dinner/presentation and after the meal was offered a chocolate - one bite and the thing was full of rum.

I dashed to the toilet and was sick - sat there shaking for ages. It was a horrible experience. Must have been at about 5 months sober that it happened to me too.

Like everyone has said - it’s all about learning lessons. And learning the tricks of our new trade.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'd move on and learn from the experience. It may be gross to many but if noticed soon enough I’d spit it back in the glass. That’s better than some of the horrid consequences that could evolve.

BE WELL
Old 06-20-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am so proud that you had the restraint not to order a drink after taking that accidental sip. Accidents happen and It shouldn't hurt your 'Days sober'
Old 06-20-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had a similar experience earlier in the year. I ate a couple of chocolates that I received with an Easter egg. Being marzipan and caramel, I assumed they were safe. But after eating the caramel, the taste was very recognisable. I looked at the ingredients list and, to my horror, saw the dreaded 'A' word. The rest of the chocolates were given away and, since it was an accident and I didn't immediately have the urge to guzzle the rest of the box or go to the supermarket to buy myself some more alcohol, I haven't reset my sobriety time - I've just drawn a line under the incident and moved on. It was definitely a learning experience, which we all inevitably grow stronger from.

Sounds like you made an honest mistake, too. Don't let it worry you too much and move on. If anything, it shows you care about your sobriety and recognise what a precious gift it is - if you didn't care, you wouldn't have reached out .
Old 06-20-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeap, lesson learned...move on and stay out of bars... : )
Old 06-20-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Our CarolD used to suggest always smelling your drink before drinking it, especially if you are around others who are drinking alcohol.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Simple, you didn't order the drink or order another, no problem at all. You didn't knowingly drink alcohol. Some people are in danger of being addicted to the unwritten rules of sobriety and analyse things in too much depth.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hugs. Not your fault, don't stress too much, learn & move on. Well you have learnt, and you are moving on, so you're doing grand. x
Old 06-21-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just don't assume that all unmarked drinks are safe to drink

Originally Posted by SonomaGal View Post

I don't think it's a slip

Well they say the first year is filled with lessons
years back I had something similar happen to me
in my mind it wasn't planned and it's not a slip
but, as you say
another lesson learned in sobriety
for me I'm a little more careful now

I just don't assume that all unmarked drinks in the refrigerator
are safe for an alcoholic like myself to drink
thought I had ice tea but turned out to be stout beer (in wrong container)

Mountainman
Old 06-21-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sobriety Manslaughter

Hey, in Law they distinguish between intentional and accidental. One is called 'Murder'; the other 'Manslaughter'.

You didn't intend to sip a V&T. No harm, no foul. I'm not huge on those lil Placards w/sayings you see in Gift Shops, but perhaps one applies here: 'Every Mistake Is A Learning Opportunity'. Take along one of those lil Plastic Monkeys, and stick it on the Lip of your Glass. A silly thought, but something like that - or an equivalent trick - might work for ya. Use 2 lil Swill Sticks from the Bar Station where the Servers get their Drink Orders, and stick 2 or 4 of them in only your Glass. Inventory a few spares in your Pocket.

When in Japan learning some Electronic Manufacturing insights, there was a Philosophy called 'Poke Yoke' [Po-kay Yo-kay]. It translated as 'Mistake Proofing'. Design in Techniques that prevented Human mistakes in Assembly, or when Workers were hungover or thinking about stressful Family situations. I've applied those Techniques in my Life in the Decades since. As illustrated above, store Stout Beer in only a Container that can never be mistaken for anything else. Tailor these Strategies to you. Then, go on and enjoy Life in a Drinking World.

I like to see Bands, having played in one, and find it compatible with my staunch Personality to go see a Music in a Bar and not compromise Sobriety after 5+ months. I go to a local Bar with good Chicken Wings when Da Wife goes out to get hammered occasionally with Gal Pals. If that ever 'feels' like a problem/threat, I'll change my behavior. I watched some of the recent Stanley Cup Playoff in this Bar. Made sure a bunch of Coeds in this College Town I was in were still cute - check - they were, and I carry on. But, that's just me.

For some intermittent time, 80 Proof Booze wasn't strong enough for me. So, I 'graduated' up to 105 Proof Booze - some Peppermint crapola - to maintain the desired, constant buzz. Of course, everyone knows such Peppermint Booze doesn't smell on ya, right? *Guffaw* Now, the taste of 80 Proof Vodka would likely knock me over. I know that just the smell of Da Wife's Red Wine she drinks at Home occasionally and openly is so strong, it sets me reeling. Hard to believe the change in my Senses. I'll take it, especially after buying Throat-burning, 105 Proof Single Malts back when they were affordable.

For me, I just need to not get to thinking 'I'm cured', and get sloppy. I also thus far skip Dinners or Evenings w/Pals where I'm the only Lemonade Drinker. No thanks. Such Events are 'OK' fun, but not great fun. I don't 'do' obligatory 'stuff', so my Wife is having to cope a bit with changing how we Socialize. It will lighten up over time some, and as years Sober accumulate. She's being as helpful as a Spouse can be, short of totally eliminating her own Booze consumption and Pot smoking. She's cut back. I signed up for this Marriage long term - 37 years yesterday - and all this is just not a huge hassle for me in the Interstellar Scheme Of Things.

I have run across some hidden Vino Empties during my Sobriety, so she and I will be having a chat some day. Not immediately, but someday. She's a Binge_r, and I'm approaching all this as 'one Victory at a time'. I can change me first. She's not a DUI candidate. She's the Designated Drunk for Life - if that's her choice - and I'm OK doing all the occasional driving. The operative word in all this is occasional.

For some, these sound like risky behaviors. For me, after 42 years of hitting it hard intermittently, they're not. 'Stick a Fork in my Azz', as a Female Boss used to tell me.

I'm done.