Notices

I cannot do this any longer :(

Old 06-18-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I cannot do this any longer :(

I'm sorry for such a negative thread, but I have run out of options, and don't know where to turn.

I can't do sobriety any longer. I hate having a dependency on alcohol. I just want to be 'normal' (though, what is that anyway?). I went out for a meal with my family for Fathers' Day and couldn't even have half of the things on the menu, as they were cooked in alcohol. The one pudding I liked (as it was chocolate) came with rum truffles. Everyone else in the restaurant was enjoying their glass or three of wine, relaxed and jovial, whilst I had a black cloud of anxiety hanging over me and was questioning how I had managed to get out at all. I have been like this for weeks, and on and off for the last 5 months.

I suffer from severe sensorimotor OCD, the reason for my heavy drinking in the first place. I just cannot switch off from my breathing - I then control it, get in a panic when I can't switch off from it and breathe normally, even though I want to, and spend all day with an achy diaphragm, dizzy from hyperventilation. I went to bed at 5am this morning, because I was wired from sheer panic. I was fine until a bad bout of illness in 2007 caused me to collapse and I became very hyper-aware of my body. I managed to control my drinking reasonably until last year, when my symptoms became a lot worse, and the fear of losing my job (I went off sick as a result of my anxiety) and being thrown out of our rental property, as the landlord wanted to move, sent me over the edge.

I never used to drink alcoholically. In my early twenties, I was the so-called 'boring' one, who had to be persuaded to join in with the drunken escapades, and would usually make an excuse, like being the designated driver, just so I didn't have to drink at all. I didn't even consume one alcoholic beverage at my own 21st birthday party. Yet, here I am today, at the age of 29 - a completely different person than I was then.

I have been taking medication for my anxiety since leaving rehab in January - Diazepam (which has now been reduced to nearly nothing after months of tapering, to 2mg a day) and Pregabalin at 450mg a day. Yet, I feel worse than ever. I cannot stop crying. I am a 5ft 3in tall woman who used to weigh 8 and a half stone, and now weighs 10 stone 3. My friend said he noticed the change in my weight since I stopped drinking and went on the Pregabalin.

I have tried several other meds already - two antidepressants - both of which sent my anxiety through the roof and, after 6 weeks of trying to be patient with it starting to work, figured it would be easier to stop and start drinking again. It took months of persuasion from doctors to try the Pregabalin - in fact, the rehab stay and detox swayed me in the end. I have been to the doctor, absolutely beside myself, a couple of times in the last week, and their answer was just to increase it, or suggest yet another antidepressant.

I have also tried CBT, counselling, taking up my music again, but nothing seems to work. I am just an empty shell of a person, fat and miserable and thinking that I just want to escape - not with alcohol, but permanently this time. I cut myself twice last week, for the first time since leaving rehab. I'm scared if I tell the doctor this, they will have me sectioned, so I went with my arms covered up. My piano teacher even asked me why I was wearing a long-sleeved cardigan in the middle of a heatwave. She also has made the comment twice now (referring to a concert coming up where they serve free bubbly wine and canapés in the interval): 'I think you should ditch the pills and start drinking again'. She doesn't know about my drinking history. If only she knew the truth.

I feel every last piece of hope has been taken and shattered. I have no job (I had to resign from my last one, due to ill health), no ability to do anything, and my partner is close to leaving me. My alcoholic mother had a fall and bruised her face - according to my father 'because she is worried about me'.

If this is all there is to sobriety, then I'm better off waving the white flag now. I try and tell myself I'm a strong person, but there's only so much anyone can take. I am so close to driving down to Tesco, buying myself a bottle of my favourite red wine, and feeling the tension dissipate. It is with me 24/7. Sleep is the only reprieve I get, if I am lucky enough to get any. I am not bothered about my health or living a long time. I just want to get out of this hell.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How long are you sober Wend?
Old 06-18-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

so you think going back to drinking will make life better?

I see a mess in your head that needs sorting. It sounds liek you got years of mis mash problems and illness of maybe its htis or maybe its that thats wrong with me. Let me try this and let me try that. Eventually you loose direction of what sup whats down what worked what didnt and who knows wtf next.

My opinion? you need a reset.

My head was a friggen mess when i sobered up. I felt this soberiety nonsense was a crock. I did not feel better. I blindly went along with it thinking i had nothing left to loose. I new i was screwed if i drank. I felt i was screwed if i didnt drink. I felt my life was down the shi**er. I had a lot to sort out.

My head was a mess it took me many many months to sort it all out. in the end ya know what my problem was?

My drinking.

Oh sure I had childhood abuse issues and a lot of other things that needed some addressing but the made culprit fro the mess in my head was all the day in and day out drinking i had done.

I sat many of times wanting to throw in the towel on sobriety. And i thought what difference does it make I'm screwed either way. Then I through well if it makes no dang difference then why bother drinking then least save the money its gonna cost me for more booze that just wont work anyhow.

so if you cant stand it thats fine but if you think booze is going to solve it thats fine too. but if your like me and you think what difference does it make then well why bother wasting the cash and time on booze.

many days I stayed sober for no reason other then just to be sober. believe me i was a miserable soul. and I stayed sober for no reason many days.

Glad i did tho.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
How long are you sober Wend?
5 months yesterday :-(. I really thought things would be improving by now. I mean, I expected a rocky first couple of months, but they were easier in some respects - putting my faith in AA, believing it would work, hanging on to that tiny piece of hope. I have never had much faith in medication for mental health, anyway. It just messes with my mind.

Being an alcoholic with a mental health problem is so much harder. I saw a documentary that said that only 1 in 5 people beat their alcohol dependency, and this number is drastically reduced if you suffer from mental health issues. I guess I've just resigned myself to being another statistic :-(.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

so wait you just started a medication regime? or were you taking psych meds while using?
Old 06-18-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wendolene View Post
Being an alcoholic with a mental health problem is so much harder. I saw a documentary that said that only 1 in 5 people beat their alcohol dependency, and this number is drastically reduced if you suffer from mental health issues. I guess I've just resigned myself to being another statistic :-(.
Don't resign yourself. You can be the 1 in 5. Truly. I suffered with panic disorder, social phobia and generalized anxiety from late teens to mid 20s. You can learn to cope. It isn't easy but it's worth it. Don't give up your sobriety.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
so wait you just started a medication regime? or were you taking psych meds while using?
I always came off the alcohol whilst taking the psych meds, as I understood you couldn't drink with them or they would make your symptoms worse/wouldn't work. The doctor usually prescribes a short course of Diazepam to get you over the initial increase in anxiety experienced with a lot of antidepressants.

I've been on Diazepam (tapered down to 2mg a day and been on only 4mg a day for about the last two months) since leaving rehab, and the Pregabalin since late February. I started on a low dose of Pregabalin, which has been gradually increased by the doctors.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

If this is all there is to sobriety, then I'm better off waving the white flag now. I try and tell myself I'm a strong person, but there's only so much anyone can take. I am so close to driving down to Tesco, buying myself a bottle of my favourite red wine, and feeling the tension dissipate. It is with me 24/7. Sleep is the only reprieve I get, if I am lucky enough to get any. I am not bothered about my health or living a long time. I just want to get out of this hell.
the crummy thing is then you get to repeat that process again and again and it generally doesnt make life any better if it did you wouldnt be here.

remaining sober was hell for me. I climbed the walla the first 6-10 months at least. I HATED IT and couldnt understand how people dealt with life and felt like continueing to live. I could not fathom why anyone would wanna be sober.

I went for walks each day to try and sort my head out. I did stupid things to just pass the time. Llike you going to sleep sounded good i got to shut off and get 1 more day under my belt etc..

Time also is a great healer. I wish I had some magical answer for you but best I can say is to stay occupied and realize sometimes all you got to hold on to is the fact that you did not pickup a drink that day. In time tho It does get better I do promise you that.

life will always have its ups and downs tho weather your drunk or not.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wend, Im so sorry your going through all this. Honestly though it seems very unlikly that alcohol will really make these issues better.

Logically it has too many side effects and if it worked you wouldnt have decided to get sober.

You should talk with your doctor honestly as you habe here explaining whats going on.
Sending you good thoughts and prayers.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

5 months yesterday :-(. I really thought things would be improving by now.
I complained to an MD about 6 months in about a lot of my issues. ya know what he told me? That i might still being going through withdrawels. I told him he was FULL OF IT no way that could not be possible!!! he wanted to put me on meds. I opted against it he said well you can try diet and exercise but you will fail just take the meds he told me. I said no and did the diet and exercise instead and had lots of luck.

But to think 6 months in STILL HAVING WITHDRAWELS!! I had no idea!!! 6 months seems like forever to be sober! and to still have issues?

yes its very possible recovering from alcohol abuse is a real picnic!

hang in there 1 day at a time and keep trying!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Being an alcoholic with a mental health problem is so much harder.
By starting drinking again, doesn't mean you cease to be an alcoholic, neither does it make you "normal", those people in the restaurant are not you . . . we are who we are, regardless of the labels or terms we attribute to ourselves.

For me I needed to meet where I was at as an individual, not look across and see what other people were doing or seeing others enjoying themselves, you need to work out where you stand with alcohol.

If any of us have a problem with our drinking, going back to drinking won't make anything better, only worse compared to the time that you have been Sober!!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

its ok if you took psych meds while using...going on and off so you can drink could drive you mad...tell you psychiatrist the truth..whatever it is. you have to give this more time...don't look at those statistics...they could be nothing but bs....you can't just give up knowing your circumstances...things can turn around quick with the right meds and sobriety

you have to believe that
Old 06-18-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

(((wendolene)))

I'm in a very similar place. I totally and completely understand. I wish I had more words of wisdom , but all I can offer at the moment is my understanding.

I'm glad you reached out. There are a whole bunch of people here who are living testimonies of overcoming insurmountable obstacles. I'm holding out that we, too, can get there.

Blessings dear one.

XO AO
Old 06-18-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had sorta the same problem when I quit drinking with severe anxiety. Worst I've had in my life. It goes away sorta. I started going on runs. Started shedding my beer gut and helps the anxiety. Might try some excercise. I always feel better about myself after working out. I had only been an alcoholic for two years drinking over 20 beers nightly sometimes more or less.

5 months is awesome
Old 06-18-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Wendolene,

Welcome to this forum. You have to be your own best advocate right now, and this does not involve drinking alcohol. This is SO hard to do in the midst of struggling but just keep 'being my own best advocate' in the forefront of your mind and it does make this easier.

5 months without alcohol is an amazing accomplishment. Please do not go back there.

You have been in the doctor's office twice this week. My suggestion is to get on the phone again and talk to a live person who can help you ask the right questions for right now. Think specifically about what is not working, or you do not like, with your current medication regimen. Write these reasons down with paper and pen. Ask for alternatives. Alcohol is not an alternative.

Write on your bathroom mirror "I am making this work!".

Again, you are in a tough spot but need to be your own best advocate. Coming here to SR is proof that you can make this work. Keep coming here. If the old questions are no longer getting you anywhere then you need to put effort into asking new questions...you have resources and are finding new ones.

You are working this! Keep going. STAY AWAY from Tesco. There is hope. You may not think so, but you are here. SR is a fabulous resource. Stay logged in. Read stories. You are not alone.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
(((wendolene)))

I'm in a very similar place. I totally and completely understand. I wish I had more words of wisdom , but all I can offer at the moment is my understanding.

I'm glad you reached out. There are a whole bunch of people here who are living testimonies of overcoming insurmountable obstacles. I'm holding out that we, too, can get there.

Blessings dear one.

XO AO

Hi Alpha,

Have not been on the forum for a while. Reading through what I have missed.

I thought your post was very thoughtful. Having your own problems and still able to understand and try and make it better for someone else. You have my admiration. Your values a commendable, and I know you will eventually succeed. Sometimes good Karma helps, LOL!

Keep up the fight, we are here for you.

Sincerely ,
TrixMixer
Old 06-18-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by TrixMixer View Post
Hi Alpha,

Have not been on the forum for a while. Reading through what I have missed.

I thought your post was very thoughtful. Having your own problems and still able to understand and try and make it better for someone else. You have my admiration. Your values a commendable, and I know you will eventually succeed. Sometimes good Karma helps, LOL!

Keep up the fight, we are here for you.

Sincerely ,
TrixMixer
Welcome back TrixMixer!
Old 06-18-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I always came off the alcohol whilst taking the psych meds, as I understood you couldn't drink with them or they would make your symptoms worse/wouldn't work. The doctor usually prescribes a short course of Diazepam to get you over the initial increase in anxiety experienced with a lot of antidepressants.

I've been on Diazepam (tapered down to 2mg a day and been on only 4mg a day for about the last two months) since leaving rehab, and the Pregabalin since late February. I started on a low dose of Pregabalin, which has been gradually increased by the doctors.

Hi Wendolene,

How many times have people had the same exact thoughts as you have.
Alcoholism and depression, anxiety, whatever mental issues , I believe just go hand and hand. I do not believe it is any more difficult for one with anxiety or depression to get sober, than someone who is Just a drunk.

I too take antidepressants. They will put weight on you, because they affect your metabolism, and make you crave carbs. The key is to find the right cocktail..... at least it was for me. I still take Prozac and Wellbutrin. Prozac slows you down and Well speeds you up--so it is a draw.

Ehen I first went on these meds I went from 120lbs to 140lbs on my wedding day (I year time). I had NEVER had to diet . I was always thin and could eat anything I wanted. I was GREATFUL to be thinking clearly about my self-worth in a positive way after drinking to drown my sorrows BOO HOO!!

The Alcohol is what makes us miserable. You are just going through the many "doubting dumps" we all have to get through to make it to the other side --sobriety.
No one, I am sure, said this would be easy. We are a special kind of people, we alcoholics. In a good way and a bad way. I am a firm believer that anyone who makes it to sobriety and maintains it is a very special person, capable of extraordinary things. This is a journey of discovery for you, one that will take you through your lifetime. But,,,oh, the inner strength, and self knowledge we gain, make us so much more than those who have never had to fight this fight. Trust me ---one day you will be sitting there and just be amazed at how far you have come, and how much you have gotten to truly Love yourself. You know what---you will deserve every bit of that satisfaction you will feel.

Everyone is different and it takes time for us to come to terms with the struggle to stay sober. If it were easy, it would not be so sweet when you have reached that leveling plateau.

Please give it time you have already gone thru 5 months of fight, please do not go back to drinking. You will only get back to the point of getting sober all over again....and that is a B----!

Talk to us often we have been where you are, and you will find strength in the lives that have been made better by sobriety.

Best of Luck and stay strong

TrixMixer
Sober-28 years
Old 06-18-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for such a negative thread, but I have run out of options, and don't know where to turn. I can't do sobriety any longer. I hate having a dependency on alcohol. I just want to be 'normal' (though, what is that anyway?). I went out for a meal with my family for Fathers' Day and couldn't even have half of the things on the menu, as they were cooked in alcohol. The one pudding I liked (as it was chocolate) came with rum truffles. Everyone else in the restaurant was enjoying their glass or three of wine, relaxed and jovial, whilst I had a black cloud of anxiety hanging over me and was questioning how I had managed to get out at all. I have been like this for weeks, and on and off for the last 5 months. I suffer from severe sensorimotor OCD, the reason for my heavy drinking in the first place. I just cannot switch off from my breathing - I then control it, get in a panic when I can't switch off from it and breathe normally, even though I want to, and spend all day with an achy diaphragm, dizzy from hyperventilation. I went to bed at 5am this morning, because I was wired from sheer panic. I was fine until a bad bout of illness in 2007 caused me to collapse and I became very hyper-aware of my body. I managed to control my drinking reasonably until last year, when my symptoms became a lot worse, and the fear of losing my job (I went off sick as a result of my anxiety) and being thrown out of our rental property, as the landlord wanted to move, sent me over the edge. I never used to drink alcoholically. In my early twenties, I was the so-called 'boring' one, who had to be persuaded to join in with the drunken escapades, and would usually make an excuse, like being the designated driver, just so I didn't have to drink at all. I didn't even consume one alcoholic beverage at my own 21st birthday party. Yet, here I am today, at the age of 29 - a completely different person than I was then. I have been taking medication for my anxiety since leaving rehab in January - Diazepam (which has now been reduced to nearly nothing after months of tapering, to 2mg a day) and Pregabalin at 450mg a day. Yet, I feel worse than ever. I cannot stop crying. I am a 5ft 3in tall woman who used to weigh 8 and a half stone, and now weighs 10 stone 3. My friend said he noticed the change in my weight since I stopped drinking and went on the Pregabalin. I have tried several other meds already - two antidepressants - both of which sent my anxiety through the roof and, after 6 weeks of trying to be patient with it starting to work, figured it would be easier to stop and start drinking again. It took months of persuasion from doctors to try the Pregabalin - in fact, the rehab stay and detox swayed me in the end. I have been to the doctor, absolutely beside myself, a couple of times in the last week, and their answer was just to increase it, or suggest yet another antidepressant. I have also tried CBT, counselling, taking up my music again, but nothing seems to work. I am just an empty shell of a person, fat and miserable and thinking that I just want to escape - not with alcohol, but permanently this time. I cut myself twice last week, for the first time since leaving rehab. I'm scared if I tell the doctor this, they will have me sectioned, so I went with my arms covered up. My piano teacher even asked me why I was wearing a long-sleeved cardigan in the middle of a heatwave. She also has made the comment twice now (referring to a concert coming up where they serve free bubbly wine and canapés in the interval): 'I think you should ditch the pills and start drinking again'. She doesn't know about my drinking history. If only she knew the truth. I feel every last piece of hope has been taken and shattered. I have no job (I had to resign from my last one, due to ill health), no ability to do anything, and my partner is close to leaving me. My alcoholic mother had a fall and bruised her face - according to my father 'because she is worried about me'. If this is all there is to sobriety, then I'm better off waving the white flag now. I try and tell myself I'm a strong person, but there's only so much anyone can take. I am so close to driving down to Tesco, buying myself a bottle of my favourite red wine, and feeling the tension dissipate. It is with me 24/7. Sleep is the only reprieve I get, if I am lucky enough to get any. I am not bothered about my health or living a long time. I just want to get out of this hell.
Wendy I had this same issue my entire childhood!
Luckily it dissipated with age!
Klonopin saved my life in that respect.
How much worse is it in a hangover state?
Boy do I know how you feel!! I was always so dizzy and terrified!
Old 06-18-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
zjw

I had sorta the same problem when I quit drinking with severe anxiety. Worst I've had in my life. It goes away sorta. I started going on runs. Started shedding my beer gut and helps the anxiety. Might try some excercise. I always feel better about myself after working out. I had only been an alcoholic for two years drinking over 20 beers nightly sometimes more or less.
i can relate. running works wonders for anxiety. I get done running and more often then not I dont have a care in the world