Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Do you think my Dr could help me? --severe anxiety and alcoholism

Notices

Do you think my Dr could help me? --severe anxiety and alcoholism

Old 06-16-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Do you think my Dr could help me? --severe anxiety and alcoholism

So, my anxiety started far before my alcoholism. Alcohol seemed to help my anxiety, temporarily of course, and then eventually seemed to made it worse.

I have a weird preoccupation with death and the meaning of life, and I almost feel like since we are all going to die soon there is no point in trying to fix myself. In the infinity of things, what does my small little life matter? Ive heard things like "well your life matters to someone" or other things to ry to make it seem better, but it does not help.

I am freaked out by talking to my doctor about it, but I think i can gain the strength to do so. Do you think if I can get the help with my anxiety, I can get the help to stop drinking as well?
Old 06-16-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think anyone suffering with any form of long standing anxiety can benefit from getting help TieTheKnot...I never got any meds myself but I did get a referral to a good counsellor

D
Old 06-16-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ironically I have anxiety with taking medication as well. I had allergies and my Dr. told me to take Zyrtec, I actually had panic attacks until like 2 hours after taking it. I actually had to call up my pharmacist to make sure I wasnt having an allergic reaction. I wasn't...and I take it all the time now. but...that's how crazy I am lol
Old 06-16-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

quiting drinking will help alchohol doesnt really help anxiety unless your drunk but then as it wears off it gets worse and worse each time etc.. I had bad anxiety before drinking and drinking seemed great till it didnt work anymore. I eventually got terrible panic attacks as well.

I'm sure the doctor can give yous omething but be mindful fo the fact that most meds are a bandaid to get your through temporarily as you get the main issues resolved. IE quit drinking get some healthier habits etc...

for me exercise has gone a long way at helping as well.

I'm sure having good habits is easier said then done and may not even sound all that appealing the alternative tho keeping on drinking and such isnt really that great either. in time the better habits will pay off in time drinking wont really pay off with anything it just takes takes takes.

I have a weird preoccupation with death and the meaning of life, and I almost feel like since we are all going to die soon there is no point in trying to fix myself. In the infinity of things, what does my small little life matter? Ive heard things like "well your life matters to someone" or other things to ry to make it seem better, but it does not help.
my life seemed small and worthless too. I suppose if i wanna think about it in such manner now I'd say yeah i guess it still is small. But I dont really think like that anymore. I know my life maybe samll but in my small little world it has more meaning now etc.. its a life I'd like to continue living now. I sometimes even think about death now and think geeze that will stink being apart from my wife and kids etc.. So i'm not in a big hurry to anywhere anymore now.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It depends what type of doctor you see. Talk to your GP about this and ask for a recommendation. Any doctor with sense should steer you in the right direction.
Do not be afraid to tell the doctor the truth. The most frustrating thing for a doctor is when patients hide things from them.
It's interesting that when people go to a car mechanic they can't say enough about the symptoms, but when they see a doctor they clam up. Your doctor will not be shocked or judgmental. He/She needs all the information available in order to help you.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It certainly can't hurt to see your doc. How long have you been sober? My anxiety was off the charts towards the end of my drinking. It took time but its has vastly decreased over time
Old 06-16-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

TieTheKnot I had very similar thoughts regarding life and death when I was an active alcoholic. It's crazy for me to think my thought process was at that place. I was very apathetic towards everything. Thankfully since I've been sober for awhile I have a radically different perspective. I am hopeful about the future and generally optimistic about what lies ahead for me.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, Tie.

I hope that neither you nor I die soon.

If you don't die soon, you will likely regret not getting help for your alcoholism and for your anxiety.

Life is a gift - not something to be endured and survived.

Stay around.

Your questions are quite valid.

Take care.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tie not very much on this website makes me say, oh ****! Your post did just that. Hey you don't have some small insignificant life! You are loved and treasured and cherished. You have parents, aunts, uncles, maybe bros and sisters, friends, work associates, and a whole lot of people on SR that think you are a ver worthy individual. You have been given this beautiful life, to live and love. If you feel it is really insignificant, I would suggest volunteering for any organization that helps someone or something less fortunate than yourself. You will gain perspective. Perspective you need to understand how important you are. Blessings
Old 06-17-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've had severe anxiety way back when I was a kid. BIG reason why I got into drugs and later alcohol. Had really bad panic attacks-couldn't shop, drive much, work was tough. Isolated myself. Drinking got me out of the house.
These are the things I am doing to work on it.
1. do a lot of cardio at the gym
2. take medication
3. seeing a counselor
This combination works for me. I still have anxiety problems, but these things keep it from getting too bad.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I forgot to mention these things really helps me build on my self-confidence, especially in social situations.