Notices

Changed shifts at work

Old 06-15-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DAB

Changed shifts at work

I have worked 1st shift for 20 years, recently it had to switch to 2nd shift for two months to do training. The problem is, I can't attend my weekly meeting.
Sure I can find another meeting to go to but it's been 3 weeks now and I just haven't. I could probably just wait out the two months and then go back to my regular meeting again when my hours get switched back.
I guess my question is, should I find a new meeting until I switch back or is it ok to take a break from meetings for a while?
Does anyone have experience with this type of situation?
Old 06-16-2014, 01:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found when I got Sober that routine was very important, just like how my drinking was pretty routine for years, if a meeting every day is a part of your recovery then it could still be beneficial even though it is different people, you never know this could be an opportunity to hear some new perspectives.

We all have to do what keeps us Sober!!
Old 06-16-2014, 01:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know how you make it on just one meeting per week. I would've found other meetings immediately but that's just me.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think the fact you are asking,kind of says you aren't sure. So I would say yes,find another meeting. It is better to be safe than sorry. And as the above poster said. Routine helps keep things the same. Changing shifts can really stir things up,especially since you have worked days for 20 years.
It might do you good to meet new people also.
Fred
Old 06-16-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've also had this problem - going back to school and night classes are on the night I was going to my home group and it wrecked a 5 year "habit." I've gone weeks without a meeting, but I stay in touch with others in recovery, post on here, work with someone on their recovery and I continue to do my daily prayers etc while looking for another meeting to attend. Been to several that didn't "click" so I'm still looking. If you have a sponsor, just check in with them every once in a while, and monitor yourself. If you start getting particularly irritable, restless, depressed or angry, and especially if you start obsessing on drinking than that's a good time to find a meeting ASAP. Otherwise, there's no magic time frame that says if you miss "X" amount of meetings you're doomed. Meetings are one of the valuable tools we use to stay sober and to find ways to help others, but they aren't the only thing between us and a drink.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would say try some different meetings, even if it's just temporary. Worst case scenario is you meet some new people!
Old 06-16-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Imagine working 12 hour shifts day-night-day-night-day-night - forever! Sometimes with only an 18 hour turnaround. It did more harm than alcohol. Getting 3 or 4 hours sleep at a time for years. Plus drinking away the other hours.

Find other meetings to attend if you need to. I couldn't belong to anything because of work.