Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How many here identify as agnostic/atheist and how this impact your recovery?

Notices

How many here identify as agnostic/atheist and how this impact your recovery?

Old 06-13-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Hi fini, sound like Canada is more progressive. I love Canada. My travel has take me to Victoria, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, and Manitoba! Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Butchart Garden, OMG, could have eaten there ...um, I mean, respectfully observe tulip there, for days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
tulip.jpeg (17.1 KB, 209 views)
Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeyStoopid View Post
but ending meetings with the Lord's Prayer when the fellowship supposedly allows members to define a HP of their own choosing definitely bugs me a bit, as that is unquestionably a Christian prayer. However, relating it to my chosen HP is difficult because for years I associated 'The Lord' with an almighty, all-powerful, all-seeing, just/loving, jealous/vengeful, humanoid Holy Trinity called God, and that is not what my HP is.
Same here. It's odd to hear it and not immediately feel like I'm either in church or praying to the Christian God. I just don't say it. I stand there and kind of zone out or think about something else. I much prefer meetings that end in saying the Serenity prayer, and I just don't say the "God" part in that prayer. The rest of it seems fine to me.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:57 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

I think is very hard for anyone strict raise Catholic/Christian who have been MADE to say Lord prayer over and over for many year and often as punishments, to feel like they has to say it at AA meeting. For me, was like, NO FREAKING WAY! But then I feel left out. Even Serenity prayer is start..God..and that distract me from rest of it which, as SJ say, is fine.

I total not surprise about people who is raise religious and stay this way. What surprise me is so many adult addict who FIND religion. I mean, not surprise me that addict look for salvation or help or something they can no find inside they self. Okay. But to become so fervent about Christiantity, is always seem, kind of random to me.

I first realize I alcohoilc at, I think, 16. I had already been through baptism and catechism and confirmation. At same time, I going through molestation and eating disorder and self harm. It NEVER present to me that god/religion gonna help me through this time. Was always very clear I on my own.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I am not religious, if anything I believe in the power of nature and life and death. As far as I can tell these beliefs have neither been the cause of my drinking, nor my salvation from it. I live in a very liberal part of California and was quite surprised to learn how religious AA is here. I guess I didn't know about that part of the program. Unfortunately the feeling that I'm at church and faking my belief is a large part of why I rarely attend meetings. Fortunately that hasn't hindered my ability to get or stay sober. I am looking into Life Ring which is not focused around the concept of higher power and sobriety.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
I'm a spiritual person, but most of the 12-Step religious doctrine (I personally believe the 12-Steps are very religious and not spiritual) goes against my spiritual beliefs.
I agree. It's a moral code (which religion essentially us) wrapped in post war American pop philosophy.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I curious of you experiences. As atheist, I has experience lot of pressures both in rehab and AA. Is not outright dismissal, but is attitude of like, "Well, you just not seen light yet." or "You never gonna make it till you surrender to some higher powers." (Both of which I finds insulting.) I simple have no interest in higher power. My personal views is that universe is fantastic and wondrous enough all on it own and not need any gods or higher powers. I not think is any special meaning or purpose to human life, moreso than any other creature. (Is just our little extra glob of neocortex make us hella lot more narcissistic and complicated.)

Lot of time I finds myself pushing back to defend my right to be atheist, cuz is not accepted. (I always say: atheist in the new gay.) Sometime it make me sad/frustrate cuz otherwise I very much like and respects those in recovery settings and only wish to also be respected in turn.

I wonder how other deal with this.

PS. SR Friends, I know this super sensitive topic and I not wishing to offend any believer of anything, so please no throw tomato at Cow, excepting if it organic heirloom tomato, cuz those is really very tasty, okay?
Dear friend,

I have a story, to answer you with. Here it is.

Man walks into the deep forest and takes the path he believes good for him. There at the crossroad, stands the funny other man, whom the traveller despises and laughs at.
Standing at the crossroad, man tells the traveller : It is your responsibility, which way you are going to go. However, if you keep going your way, first it is too late to come back from deep darkness and lethal pits which are around your path and second there are enemies and looters on it. Do you want to consider going the other way ? I walked on it and it worked for me. It is well paved and you will find friends on it. Why, then, do you insist in going the wrong way ?

Let me ask you a question now : this religion of yours, which in the original Greek language means "no-god", this religion of yours - which way is it taking you ? To the darkness with pits and enemies or to the light with friends ?

My friend, evil-intending people will never straightforwardly tell you they mean evil to you. But, evil happens, in the end. Evil people will tell you it is no big deal to say "god doesn't exist", but this is what God of Israel sayy about them : "Fool says in his heart there is no God." Psalm 14:1 The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

@pava

I don't think it has to be one or the other ( good vs evil). Ecclesiastes allows one some ambiguity IMO.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pavaoiztarza View Post
Psalm 14:1 The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
FT

I knew I was an atheist from a very young age after I was informed by my religion that God was to be "feared."

I later learned that it was the bearers of such news who needed fearing.

As my life has progressed, with all its twists and turns, I have continued to search for concrete "evidence" (I mean the scientific kind). Someone once told me that was what "faith" was supposed to be for -- not needing "evidence" of the existence of something. But I do, and I am still searching.

I still do not believe in God, but I suspect He knows it.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

@Pava. Remember: The book you quote was written 2000 years ago. A lot has happened since then. Don't worry, you won't burn in hell for questioning your faith.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cow View Post
Hi fini, sound like Canada is more progressive. I love Canada. My travel has take me to Victoria, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, and Manitoba! Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Butchart Garden, OMG, could have eaten there ...um, I mean, respectfully observe tulip there, for days.
nothing to do with Canada, Cow.
LifeRing started and is concentrated in California, and my Vancouver meeting was based on the "American way". there is now a LRCanada, mostly based around Victoria, which does things quite differently, and not in a way i'm partial to.

but the country itself is less "religious" than the States (i have no idea where you graze), and in my AA travels to different meetings never have i been confronted with the Lord's Prayer. can't imagine it.
interesting aside to me is the number here on this thread who say they're atheist or agnostic and raised Catholic. i was raised that way, too. not a theist now, nor atheist, nor agnostic, nor christian...but i know there's "more", or "other".

Butchard Gardens...hm...saw that once a looong time ago. more prefer wilder places, but not too wild.

if you like tulips, Holland is the place to go
have seen tulip fields there the size of Manitoba prairies. okay, i exaggerate...
Old 06-14-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Fini…I noticed the Catholic thing too. I did 12 years of hard time with the nuns…...
Old 06-14-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
FT

Originally Posted by pavaoiztarza View Post
Dear friend,

I have a story, to answer you with. Here it is.

Man walks into the deep forest and takes the path he believes good for him. There at the crossroad, stands the funny other man, whom the traveller despises and laughs at.
Standing at the crossroad, man tells the traveller : It is your responsibility, which way you are going to go. However, if you keep going your way, first it is too late to come back from deep darkness and lethal pits which are around your path and second there are enemies and looters on it. Do you want to consider going the other way ? I walked on it and it worked for me. It is well paved and you will find friends on it. Why, then, do you insist in going the wrong way ?

Let me ask you a question now : this religion of yours, which in the original Greek language means "no-god", this religion of yours - which way is it taking you ? To the darkness with pits and enemies or to the light with friends ?

My friend, evil-intending people will never straightforwardly tell you they mean evil to you. But, evil happens, in the end. Evil people will tell you it is no big deal to say "god doesn't exist", but this is what God of Israel sayy about them : "Fool says in his heart there is no God." Psalm 14:1 The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good.
Interesting story. One question though, what the hell is the funny dude doing back at the crossroads, anyway? Sounds like he is up to no good to me.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Jaynie,
sometimes i wonder if there's a connection between being raised Catholic and later alcoholism or drinking problems.
i was raised that way in a little village in Germany.
after elementary school, i was sent to 'Gymnasium' (combination of middle and highschool) from grade five to thirteen, nun-run catholic all-girl school.

wasn't all bad, though (although i didn't realize it at the time). at least we had role models of females in positions of authority and capability and brains. female science teachers and so on...and we didn't have to get into the competing-for-boys-attention-thing while at school; benefits, those.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FT View Post
Interesting story. One question though, what the hell is the funny dude doing back at the crossroads, anyway? Sounds like he is up to no good to me.
He was probably handing out copies of the Watchtower.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FT View Post
i fell about laughing at this one sorry for that
but consider myself quite quick at picking up on things that get thrown at me as gospel but i never thought of that one

thanks for that funny post
Old 06-14-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Is lot of self righteousness on both side, yes? Difference for me is, I would never go about to shame or condemn or even aggressively question somebody who believe different than me. Is okay, yes? Nobody need to die!

I was raise Catholic, but I contributes my addiction problem, which start long before alcohol, more to abusive home than to Catholicism. Although Catholicism was no picnic. Then again, they does give us donut every time after catechism. Nice ones. Long john, of maple or chocolate. To this day, my brother say, they was buying our faith with donut!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
Jaynie, sometimes i wonder if there's a connection between being raised Catholic and later alcoholism or drinking problems. i was raised that way in a little village in Germany. after elementary school, i was sent to 'Gymnasium' (combination of middle and highschool) from grade five to thirteen, nun-run catholic all-girl school. wasn't all bad, though (although i didn't realize it at the time). at least we had role models of females in positions of authority and capability and brains. female science teachers and so on...and we didn't have to get into the competing-for-boys-attention-thing while at school; benefits, those.
My wife was also raised catholic in Bavaria but attended public Realschule. She doesn't have issues with alcohol, but I do think there is a general sense of shame that goes with being raised in a strict religion as part of a somewhat uptight culture (don't take that personally, there's a lot I like about Germans).

You're one of the few German natives I've encountered in recovery btw. Schöne Grüße aus Massachusetts. (:
Old 06-14-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I've wished before I could be comfortable with atheism. It would make things easier for me, especially in terms of recovery.

Although I've wished things could be easier and I could accept atheism, I've never found evidence that God doesn't exist. Just like I've never found evidence that I don't exist. But, hey, maybe I don't. It's not out of the question.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
FT

Songthread, science does not quite work that way. You are using convoluted logic.

In 1992 during a presentation at Caltech, skeptic James Randi used the phrase "you can't prove a negative". He claims that he cannot prove a negative (such that telepathy does not exist), but he also argues that an individual who claims telepathy exists must prove so. He discusses that induction is often used as a mode of proving a thesis, but if an individual assumes that something is or is not, then the person must prove so. Further, as he says, he does not take an advocacy position, as a lawyer would. He says that he cannot prove that a negative is true, but he could attempt to use evidence and induction to support a claim that he is biased toward, such as a claim that something does not exist (ex. flying reindeer).

The thing is, trying to prove a negative is futile.