Notices

Thinking too much today.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thinking too much today.

Yesterday I was good, today I'm having a harder time. I keep thinking about a bottle of wine. I can't stop thinking about not drinking forever - when out at the cabin, at weddings, on vacations, after a rough day of work or a fight with my boyfriend. I feel like what am I going to be doing with myself all this time? I understand why they say take it day by day because looking toward the future is very overwhelming. Still NOT going to drink. Day 5 almost done a lot more to go :/
Old 06-12-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"forever" sounds like such a long time, and way too stressful, you only have to make it until bedtime, and you then get another TODAY to focus on!!

Small steps, don't burden yourself with too much anxiety!! Great job on Day 5!!
Old 06-12-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

Yesterday I was good, today I'm having a harder time. I keep thinking about a bottle of wine. I can't stop thinking about not drinking forever - when out at the cabin, at weddings, on vacations, after a rough day of work or a fight with my boyfriend. I feel like what am I going to be doing with myself all this time? I understand why they say take it day by day because looking toward the future is very overwhelming. Still NOT going to drink. Day 5 almost done a lot more to go :/
yep dont bite off more then you can chew. baby steps one day at a time. I have all the same excuses to drink as you and more i'm sur eyou have more too. one by one as you beat them you realize there just excuses and it gets easier.

just one day at a time one min at a time one hour a a time baby steps. dont try and be sober forever just be sober today.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Congrats on five days.

When you came here you said you were a blackout drinker and tired of your behavior. That's your drinking future, not the fantasy picture in your mind. Focus on today. You get enough sober time under your belt, forever will seem like the only logical choice.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Binge thinking leads to binge drinking. Is there something else you can occupy your mind on?
Old 06-12-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Johno - trying to! I've gone shopping for some new clothes since I'm not spending the money on booze, bought a new book, started a journal, got new colored pencils and markers because I love to draw, and got 2 new shows on dvd to watch. Thanks for the help and support
Old 06-12-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can do this remember one day at a time, sometimes even one second. Do you have a specific program you follow smart recovery, AA or anything else? Sometimes that helps. AA has helped me tremendously. Hang in there it gets easier.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anoronha - I don't follow a specific program, I finally just decided to do this on Sunday and found this site. I am not sure that AA is right for me? I know people that find it very helpful and some close to me who had a hard time with AA/NA. I am Christian but don't know if I would want to focus on that to quit drinking? I don't really know why or if that makes sense? Maybe I just feel it would be "too much" for me? I am not sure what smart recovery is but I will definitely look into it. For now this site and everyone on it has been wonderful.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi hopepeace, it would be fairly normal to still get cravings after 5 days. Watch out for the triggers such as leaving work or cooking dinner and make sure you have a big glass or bottle of something non-alcoholic at hand.
It could be mainly the habit rather than the alcohol itself that you're wanting.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopePeace View Post
On day 5 you should just be worried about day 5. Thinking about never drinking again can be overwhelming and on day 5 you should try to focus on getting through the day. The 1st week was probably the hardest for me personally.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Take it a day even an hour or minute at a time, remember the reasons you do not want to drink, remember your health, whatever is important to you. Be kind to yourself.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
30yrdrunk

HP,

It will get better! This Sunday will be 6 mos for me and it has gotten much easier. In the first couple of months I obsessed daily about missed potential drinking opportunities. Gradually, I thought less and less about the 1 thing I was missing and started appreciating the many things in life I had overlooked.

One book that was helpful for me was 'Kick the Drink Easily Easily' by Jason Vale. It was liberating to read his take on sobriety.

Best Wishes,

TC
Old 06-17-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I will look into 'Kick the Drink Easily Easily' by Jason Vale - I am trying to read a lot - inspirational books, Big Book, Life Recovery Bible and just taking it a Day at a Time. It is so hard when at night the memories of just the awful embarrassing things I have done while drinking comes to me. I pray even harder then - to forgive myself, to take away my defects and to make the right choices.