Notices

The Perks of Staying Sober!! According to Me!

Old 07-09-2004, 05:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Perks of Staying Sober!! According to Me!

Hi All,
In the past, I've lied and covered up so much I forgot what it is like to just be normal and make honest mistakes! I've been sober for nearly a week now and still find myself on the edge of lying and covering up when I make stupid mistakes because that was my routine in the drunk days! A couple examples are:

I set the coffee maker the other eveing to go off in the morning as normal, forgot to put the lid down, therefore, no coffee! My H teased me about not having any coffee to take to work with him in the morning, In the past, I would have blamed my drunkenness and felt guilty, etc... nope, just an honest mistake I could laugh at myself for!

This morning when my H came in to say goodbye to me prior to leaving for work (he reports very early) I replied back "Goodnight"! Caught myself and immeidatley tried to cover up by saying-"Oh I mean Good Morning, I'm just tired, etc... like I would have in the old days still probably drunk and hung over. Instead, I could laugh at myself and just admit I was really tired!

A neighbor peeled out the other night on his motorcycle waking the whole neighborhood, not me, I was dead to the world, friends couldn't believe I slept straight through it, felt great to say, nope, slept right through it, instead of pretending, yup I heard it, how rude, etc... trying to cover up because I would have been passed out and not heard it too ashamed to admit it!

It's the little things that remind me how great it is to be and stay sober! Finally escaping the guilt and lies is what's keeping me sober, TODAY!
Old 07-09-2004, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi .
my husband told me 2 weeks ago he had been drinking a bottle of vodka a day. I couldnt believe it , didnt have a clue. Hes not had a drink now for 10 days I just feel so stupid i had no idea.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I freak people out when they call after 8pm and Im up and not slurring my words.Surprise visits from friend/family are less embarrassing when sober, also.Nothing worse than gettin caught with your pants down(drunk that is),right?