Notices

What to say to someone who relapsed

Old 06-10-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to say to someone who relapsed

After three years sober, my sponsee relapsed and went on a week long bender. She has now been sober 48 hours. I am going to meet her tonight and just wondered if anyone had any suggestions what I should say to her? Right now I知 going to talk to her about going back to doing the things she needs to do to stay sober and to remember where the alcohol took her life and how out of control she was. Also of course I知 going to tell her that she needs to forgive herself and start over. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by txfan77 View Post
Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
The concept of Spiritual Detachment is perhaps the most powerful tool I have found when trying to help others (both in and out of recovery). It is not the same as psychological detachment where one simply stops caring about the entire situation. That's closer to apathy.

Spiritual Detachment is recognizing the fact that I only play a small part in the grand scheme of things. Caring enough to do my part (only my part). Trusting some Higher Power to furnish the results. Then detaching from the outcome.

Success or failure is not mine to pocket.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

As someone who relapse LOT of time, I would say one message that get through to me is that was not the relapse, but the RIGHT NOW that is the big important moment. Is what you gonna do NOW. Many time I use relapse as free pass to go on long time bender, cuz I figure will still only count as one relapse. Or, I think, okay, well, I already blow it, so might as well throw down couple more time, before I get straight again. Or, since I has to start all over, I do it next week, or next month, or next year.

Truth was, at time after relapse, I could actual become stronger, or weaker. Was my choice.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Did you ever relapse? Most of us have. What would you want said to you if the roles were reversed?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by txfan77 View Post
After three years sober, my sponsee relapsed and went on a week long bender. She has now been sober 48 hours. I am going to meet her tonight and just wondered if anyone had any suggestions what I should say to her? Right now I知 going to talk to her about going back to doing the things she needs to do to stay sober and to remember where the alcohol took her life and how out of control she was. Also of course I知 going to tell her that she needs to forgive herself and start over. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Good enough. Keep it simple.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

good on ya for not jumping ship on yer sponsee.
what to say.welp, you could ask a few questions:
do you want what we have?
are you willing to go to any lengths?

conveying self forgiveness is good, but not sure about tellin her she needs to do it.
remind her shes not a bad person, just a sick one and there is a solution IF shes willing to work it.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

share your experience(s)