Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

started antidepressants for anxiety and it's got worse!!

Notices

Old 06-10-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey guys,
I could do with some advice. I'm two weeks short of a year sober from alcohol and feeling really anxious. I've had lots to deal with in the last two weeks; a year anniversary of my mothers death, girlfriend left me after 2 years, had all my work equipments stolen and now can't work and my uncle has told me he only has a few weeks/months to live... All in all it's made me a nervous wreck!!
Anyway, my sister begged me to see a doctor for my anxiety and he gave me a prescription for zoloft (sertraline) and diazepam (valium). I refuse to take valium as it's been a factor in my old addiction, but i relented and started the zoloft and now my anxiety is through the roof!!!
Has anyone else tried this or got any experience that could help??
Please, I'm climbing the walls and think I'm losing my mind
Old 06-10-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi bazerington

do check with your Dr, but in my experience anti depressants don't work instantly...it can be a week or two before they kick in.

They probably won't completely knock out stress either - and it sounds like you have a lot just now.

Have a chat with your Dr and express your concerns?

D
Old 06-10-2014, 01:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dee,
I spoke with him yesterday and he said take a valium... I explainedmy addiction history (which was on the screen in front of him) and he said a 2mg tablet would be ok!!!!
I know it won't, i have a loooong history with benzo drugs and know they are damaging... I wouldjust do anything to not live with this low level panic and fear... I do step work and inventories all the time... Speak with people everyday... Go to meetings even though I feel exhaustedand terrified. Seems people in AA get mystified when you say you've done meditation, prayer, spoken to a new guy, gone to meetings etc and they don't work... I'm at my wits end :-(!!x
Old 06-10-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hiya Baz .

If you have just started them , be patient , they are a slow release tablet and gradually build up in you system , this may take a week or in my case 3 weeks .

Be wary with the diazepam if you've had an issue in the past , you don't want to temp fate :/ did you tell your doc this ?

I'm sorry that you have had to deal with so much stress in a whole year ! That's enough to send anyone over the edge . You are doing a great job by staying sober good on you .

Treat yourself to nice things you enjoy , food wise , nice hot coffees . Chat to us here .

It wont be that long and you will start feeling more like your old self . Xxx
Old 06-10-2014, 01:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey snoozy :-)!!
Thanks, it's been tough, but none of this is conscious!!
On a conscious level I can be quite bright, but the anxiety is just crippling and when i meditate on it its all just a jumbled mess of noise and confusion!!!!!!!!
I did say to the doctor, but I don't thinkhe got it... It's only my gut feeling and sense that says it ain't a good idea!!!!!!
Thanks for your reply, any sort of help is most needed and very gratefully received :-)
Old 06-10-2014, 02:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are very welcome Baz :-) I've always wondered if meditation helps people .

I've never tried it myself , i just don't think i could get into the zone as i always have a busy brain.
You know , sometimes the docs just don't get it . The first time i went to get help for my drinking , the doctor just looked me straight in the face , shook her head and said , " well just don't drink then " i was almost expecting a DERRRRR at the end of her sentence .

It felt like a slap in the face . I felt so embarrassed ,she made me feel like , don't be stupid , just get it together ' .

It took me years and years to pluck up the courage to see another one , but by then i was in too deep and got sent to rehab .

My life could have been vastly different if i had that right doc first up .

Sadly , even today some docs just DONT get it .

Glad you are posting , looking forward to more xxxx
Old 06-10-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

From what I have been able to find out, these types of meds are not an exact science. They are thought to do this or that but they are not totally reliable. Sometimes they have the opposite effect to that intended. Given your doctors apparent ignorance of addiction, perhaps it would be worth talking to a different doctor about a different medication.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Snoozy and Gotta... that is how I feel. I go in to the docs and say "I can't have any downer medication as I'm a recovering alcoholic and drug addict" and then get given a script for valium... Irony is, when I was addicted I had to fight to get a script :-)!!!!!!
I'd give anything for just one day of release and peace of mind... It's terrifying when you can't relax or rest orjust be with yourself.
Sadly (and I say sadly purposely) I have no desire to drink. The 12 steps were right when they promised that!!
I just haven't got anything to aide me through now!!
Apart from the support of people on here and at meetings of course :-)!!
Which actually is quite a lot :-)!! x
Old 06-10-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

Exercise is the best medicine along with a proper diet for any anxiety issues (at least for myself). That being said Antidepressants as has already been mentioned to you take a bit to have effect. The early side effects may very well cause more anxiety and the one you are taking may never work. I am not at all anti-medication, but I try to manage without as it always seems a "juggle" with finding the right dose, combination, etc.

I will say this, if it were not for exercise, I have no doubt I would need medication to function. I am bipolar to some extent and I can keep level most of the time with exercise, proper diet and I am seeing a therapist. Just getting outside in nature or anywhere is also important. Oh, and did I say anything about exercise..............
Old 06-10-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi, B!

I just wanted to add that it's very important to take sertraline every day, and for me the only way to not forget was to have one of those seven-day pill holders. It is too easy to forget something that is part of a routine.

You should read the warnings about sertraline and suicide--I think it happens sometimes when people forget to take their pills. The withdrawals can cause something called "brain zaps" that I learned about here at SR.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Yes, be wary of these anti-depressants. I know I was on Pristiq, and it made me feel WORSE. I told my doctor, and we switched. He said that I should not feel MORE anxious. I ended up on Paxil for awhile but realized that I didn't want to be on any of these things. I weaned myself off, and i've felt better ever since. I think we medicate wayyy too much these days, but that's just my opinoin.. Talk to your doctor and ask if there is another pill you can try if you want to stay on that path.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

for me exercise has been the best. I'd rather run and scream and pound a punching bag lift weights run 10 miles go for a walk etc.. then take a pill and i've been told by so many including doctors that I should get on something.

Like you as much as i'd love a valium to me thats no different then drinking a beer. A pill will just take the place for booze for me.

I have a friend who tells me I should just drink a beer or smoke a joint or something I'm too tense he'll say. tells me I'm gonna pop one day and just go get drunk etc.. said i should just give in once in a while loosen up. Angers me when he gives me this sort of advice I think he fails to understand the nature of my addiction. And in my mind my diet and exercise program is working fine for me despite i do still have some tough times like anyone else would.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EndGame

Zoloft and a few other SSRIs are known to cause an extreme activation of anxiety in the beginning, especially for those taking them to treat anxiety. There's nothing unusual about your reaction, and your doctor should have told you this.

There are also non-SSRI and non-Benzo/non-addictive medications for anxiety. Maybe try to find a psychiatrist or one who specializes in psychopharmacology.