Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Instead of being angry about this stressful day, I am happy that I have my sobriety

Notices

Instead of being angry about this stressful day, I am happy that I have my sobriety

Old 06-09-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Summer's here! And it's arrived with a bang. Lots of unforeseen issues jumped into my lap today:

1. A new work environment: home. My entire office is working remotely for the summer.
2. And my laptop went on the fritz this weekend! Terrible timing!
3. And my neighbors decided it would be a good day to tear down their garage. Try working from home with a jackhammer and generator rumbling outside all day. I say again...Terrible timing!
4. I have a huge upcoming trip abroad in 3 weeks.
5. My side business is booming, and my clients need attention!
6. Trying to learn a new role with my company has been challenging...so hard!

Today is the type of day that I used to say "screw it" and just go to a bar. I would give up and turn to the bottle. For some reason I would imagine that all these issues would just magically disappear if I had a few drinks.

Instead, I took care of business. It hasn't been an easy day by any means, but I can manage this in part thanks to almost 2 years sober. Glad I'm not running from days like these anymore.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Gratitude is a wonderful thing!

There have been days that I am so stressed that the only thing I can hang on to is "I am sober".

It does not mean life is always good or that we never stress out, it just means that today we can handle it without drinking. Kudos!
Old 06-09-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

my first thought is "sounds like it could be worse". Soemtimes you have those days where the ONLY thing good you got to hold on to is the fact that your sober.

I'll think well this day stunk its a total wash this day coulda done without me in it for sure! I got no where i got beat up kicked in the teeth and tossed in the ditch BUT at least i'm sober and tommorrow i can get up and try this all over again and it might be the best day ever who knows!
Old 06-09-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I heard someone say once that a grateful heart will never get drunk. I think that is the case, and it is wise to turn it all around. Thanks for the reminder because I was having a similar day.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's awesome dude! It sounds like you are finding success professionally and I think that's really important. Like you said, when we were drunk we would just bury our heads in a bottle. Now days when I walk into a spit storm I think like yeah, thank God I am not dealing with this with a hangover!
Old 06-10-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you're getting through all that BigS

D
Old 06-10-2014, 01:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi BigS - your post reminded me how I was reading today how can we expect the best out of a situation, when we often don't take the best of ourselves into it.

I got home from a really great business meeting doing that today, and stopped for a moment and thought that when I was drinking, for all my pontificating about positive thinking, etc, I was NEVER putting the best version of me into anything, ever.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Realising my life

I'm sorry you're having a rough day, BS, but this is a great thread and thank you for starting it

I've been feeling physically 'challenged' lately, suffering ridiculous side effects from anti-inflammatories which seem to have damaged my stomach (and done zilch to reduce the pain in my arm) but I am still deeply, deeply grateful that I am sober and it's been nice to sit back and enjoy the garden without working in it! A sober day is a good one
Old 06-10-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's all good, thanks for the support. Despite having a rough and stressful day, I did what needed to be done. And here's what life looks like today:

1. Had a meeting with my boss this morning, it went great
2. My side business clients are happy
3. Bought a new computer and it will arrive tomorrow to my house
4. Construction next door is slowing down
5. I sold some stuff on craigslist to make my international transition easier (and help cover the cost of that new computer!)

I feel just great today. Now, if I'd have gone out and drank, I would have the same issues in my lap this morning. Instead, all I did was stay sober and take care of my business. Staying sober during stressful times is definitely full of rewards...they are not usually so immediate, but they will come.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Yes, being drunk only postpone all you crap and make pile on you coffee table bigger and bigger. Glad to see you doing great BigS.