Notices

Moving out soon..... Little nervous

Old 06-07-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moving out soon..... Little nervous

Hey everyone. My name's Brian I'm an alcoholic. I'm 7 and 1/2 months sober during which time I have been living with my alcoholic parents. Following some recent events, myself and my HP have decided it is time for me to move on. Now, here's the issue. Loneliness is sometimes a problem for me. Matter of fact I would say I did the majority of my worst drinking alone. To counter this, I am looking at moving to an area where I would be closer to my sponsor, have nightly access to AA meetings, I take Antabuse, I will probably join a gym, I read a lot, I pray daily and feel I have concious contact with the God of my understanding, I work days, will probably have my daughter every other weekend, and feel like I am in a good place mentally and spiritually. Do you guys foresee anything I haven't encountered yet coming up? Care to speak to your own experiences? Also what's up with having to put in an application and waiting for a landlord to call you back? This is like applying for a job I really want. I've been honest with them about my background I have 4 OWI's and I've told them that.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like you have thought it out pretty well. It a big move, but perhaps the right one if your current situation isn't working well. Regarding the landlord thing, it's common for them to run background checks prior to taking on new tenants. It's nothing personal, just them protecting their properties and livelihood too.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

how old are you?

what is your line of work- what I mean is do you have a reliable pay check.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Brian,
and congrats on your sober time! 7 1/2 months is awesome.

It will be nice to have your own place, and just keep up the good work. Finding things to do with excess time is a good idea.

best of luck to you!
Old 06-07-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Study the area- and plot things to do in the event that there is no meeting- or your sponsor is busy.

can you walk to the library?
Old 06-08-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My worst drinking was always alone too. If you have nightly access to AA meetings, that should be a big help. Try to hang out after the meeting too... get coffee with friends... to keep loneliness at bay at night when you might be tempted to drink.

Look for sober neighbors. It could be hard living next to a party house or in an apartment building filled with drinkers. You have a daughter, so it would make sense to look for family-oriented places to live.

7 1/2 months sober is awesome!!!! Your daughter is going to benefit so much from your sobriety. Parenting sober is really so much fun.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anykey View Post
how old are you?

what is your line of work- what I mean is do you have a reliable pay check.
I'm 35. Ended up here following a divorce and deed in lieu of foreclosure on my former home. I'm in sales full time and my job is like 1/2 block away from the apartment I really want. And yes our main library is within walking distance.

Last edited by Brian316; 06-08-2014 at 07:38 AM. Reason: New info
Old 06-08-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhiteFeathers View Post
My worst drinking was always alone too. If you have nightly access to AA meetings, that should be a big help. Try to hang out after the meeting too... get coffee with friends... to keep loneliness at bay at night when you might be tempted to drink.

Look for sober neighbors. It could be hard living next to a party house or in an apartment building filled with drinkers. You have a daughter, so it would make sense to look for family-oriented places to live.

7 1/2 months sober is awesome!!!! Your daughter is going to benefit so much from your sobriety. Parenting sober is really so much fun.
Thank you. Another great thing about the apartment I really want is no one else is in the building right now. It's a big house with no other tenants currently. I will try to hang around after meetings more too.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best of luck with the move Brian. If you find you need support, it's really great you know where to get it

I think you'll be ok

D
Old 06-08-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

maybe you hadn't asked for it, but patience seems to be the lesson with the landlord....

I wish you well! Keep talking with the newcomer to be reminded where you were a short 7.5 months ago!
Old 06-08-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee, thank you Sugar. Yes I do need some patientce I just want so badly to get out of here. But I believe nothing happens in God's world by mistake and the HP will put me where he wants me to be. And yeah I am definitely glad to help newcomers! Whatever it is that I have found, I am happy to give it away.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, my prayers were answered and I got the apartment I wanted! I move in a week and a half. Here's the twist. They were thinking about not giving it to me based on my current length of employment. But I don't know if you remember me posting about my boss a few months ago. A very nice, ethical woman who is currently battling cancer. Who saved my job when I got charged with my 4th OWI several months ago because she believes everyone deserves a 2nd chance. She have them such a good recommendation they opted to give me the apartment! I've not been in AA that long, but the promises have been coming true in my life. I'm really grateful to be here sober with you all today.