Notices

A fifth?

Old 06-06-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
i drank about a case a beer..which would be closer to a liter
Actually, a case of beer (12oz each) would be 288oz; there are 33.814 ounces in a liter; therefore 288oz would be 8.517 liters.

1.75 liters would be 59.175oz.

In regards to.........: 'a fifth' is 750ml; 25.6oz; equal to 1/5th of a gallon (64oz) and/or 4/5th of a quart (32oz).

Just a few fun facts (of course, these are US ounces), but I was always happy with my jeroboam......

(o:
NoelleR

P.S. 1 US fluid ounce = 1.0408 UK fluid ounce; or 1 UK fluid ounce = .096076 US fluid ounce.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
zjw

when i went through my liquor phase i would drink over half a 750 of 151 a night or I'd drink over half a 1.75 liter of regular rum a night.

I'd get annoyed they never sold booze in a container that could last me a week every other day i was out shopping for more poison it seemed. at times I used to think why not stock up for the week so i dont have to leave. But then i'd worry well i might go overboard then with all that on hands (lol like i wouldnt go overboard anyway?) I'd also think that thats sort of excessive dont you think? but then i'd do it anyway. In the end I was pondering just getting beer by the keg it seemed like it might be cheaper and would be less trips. Luckily I never made it to that phase of my obsession.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have to agree with zjw about getting wine in bulk. Being a frugal (if not outright cheap) person, I always knew it was a lot cheaper to buy a box of wine (which equals 4 bottles) for $10.99 as opposed to 4 bottles for $2.99 each. I had the same problem in that if I bought a box, I would drink a box. If I only had a bottle, I would drink a bottle, since I wouldn't generally be able to drive and get another bottle. Being cheap, it killed me to spend the extra money, but since if I had a whole box for $10.99 I would drink that in one day and then go and get more, I guess it was still cheaper in the long run to get a bottle at a time. One perk of not drinking any more is the fact that I have at least $3.31 every day (including tax that) I can save or use for something else.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by jaybee1 View Post
Can I clarify something? What is a fifth? Is that a fifth of a gallon? Where I hail from we call this a quart, or a 26'er or 750 ml.
Actually, this would not be a quart [a fifth (750ml) is 4/5th of a quart]; even in Canada there are only 4 quarts in a gallon....and a fifth is 1/5th of a gallon not 1/4th of a gallon, which is what a quart is.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 06-06-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenColor View Post
Did any former or current drinkers have an entire bottle every day? I can't believe I'm still alive after all those years.
Whiskey?

No, but I wasn't opposed to polishing off a pint of vodka and a six pack whenever the mood struck which was almost everyday for years.

But what and how much doesn't matter much these days. What's important is I don't want to go back to that life.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
Actually, a case of beer (12oz each) would be 288oz; there are 33.814 ounces in a liter; therefore 288oz would be 8.517 liters.

1.75 liters would be 59.175oz.

In regards to.........: 'a fifth' is 750ml; 25.6oz; equal to 1/5th of a gallon (64oz) and/or 4/5th of a quart (32oz).

Just a few fun facts (of course, these are US ounces), but I was always happy with my jeroboam......

(o:
NoelleR

P.S. 1 US fluid ounce = 1.0408 UK fluid ounce; or 1 UK fluid ounce = .096076 US fluid ounce.
i meant per units noelle...of course a case of beer was more total liquid lol
Old 06-06-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
Actually, this would not be a quart [a fifth (750ml) is 4/5th of a quart]; even in Canada there are only 4 quarts in a gallon....and a fifth is 1/5th of a gallon not 1/4th of a gallon, which is what a quart is.

(o:
NoelleR
750ml = .198 gallons. Unless you are a scientist of some type, that's pretty much a fifth of a gallon.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I was on a litre of vodka a day at my peak but those binges only lasted about two weeks at a time. That amount of alcohol per day meant I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep due to withdrawal and jst couldn't function at all, in any way shape or form. That's why I had to stop after two weeks.

I still have no idea how people put away a fifth of alcohol daily for prolonged periods of time like months and years and still hold down a job. I could barely find the strength to leave my room when I was drinking that amount.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
750ml = .198 gallons. Unless you are a scientist of some type, that's pretty much a fifth of a gallon.
Yes, which is exactly what I said....: "...a fifth (750ml) is 4/5th of a quart... a fifth is 1/5th of a gallon not 1/4th of a gallon, which is what a quart is...."

In post #19, jaybee1 wrote.............:
"...What is a fifth? Is that a fifth of a gallon? Where I hail from we call this a quart, or a 26'er or 750 ml...."

jaybee1 was saying a fifth was called a quart in Canada.....to which I replied that a fifth was a fifth of a gallon and a quart was a fourth of a gallon...............:
"Actually, this would not be a quart [a fifth (750ml) is 4/5th of a quart]; even in Canada there are only 4 quarts in a gallon....and a fifth is 1/5th of a gallon not 1/4th of a gallon, which is what a quart is."

I may not be a scientist, but I was a math major, but this is just simple arithmatic.

(o:
NoelleR