Notices

Day 8 Here; Thoughts on my In-Patient Experience

Old 06-05-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 Here; Thoughts on my In-Patient Experience

So I've mentioned this in a couple other threads, but last week I went to in-patient detox for four days. It was my first trip, and I intend to make it my last.

Sitting in the ER (my second trip in six weeks), I realized that I needed a swift kick in the ass, and had a social worker help me get checked into a local facility. This forced me to go to my first meetings and group discussions, and played a major role in motivating me to find a home group and a sponsor as soon as I was discharged.

The stuff I heard while at in-patient was sad. 24 year old heroin addict with a 3.5 year old on her 3rd or 4th rehab stint. Another girl on her 11th stint with a 6 year old at home. A guy with 42 years who slipped. Another guy who got his fourth DUI while on probation for his third. Etc. I am grateful to be getting the picture and start working the program now, before I am facing those kinds of situations. Sadly many people I met in rehab won't get it, and will end up dead or in jail, but I can only worry about my own recovery.

Like Bill W. says in the Big Book, none of us practices all 12 steps perfectly - we are not saints and this is a long process. The first step is the hardest and most important.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back HS. Hope you can find a way through your meetings and SR to keep things moving in the right direction. Someone is usually here almosst 24/7 if you need to hash anything out.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're starting out in the right direction. Try and use those stories you heard in inpatient to realize you are but a bender away from being in the same boat. I know I got a pass several times in my life when my drunkenness could have killed me or someone else, thus landing me in court, jail etc. For whatever reason I got a pass. Look for the similarities between you and others in addiction - it helps keep us sober to know we're one big group struggling with ONE problem. What you used, how long, how much, and the consequences vary, but it's all addiction - we all struggle with living life of life's terms, not our own terms. Find that sponsor ASAP and keep posting and reaching out. Glad you found your way to AA - I wish you the best!
Old 06-08-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 11. I have been on a previously planned vacation with an old friend since Thursday. Made him aware of the situation ahead of time, and the trip has been good. He's shown me around and I've enjoyed the area (just sans the microbrewery tours).

I fly home tomorrow, and will need to quickly start figuring out some new activities outside of work and AA meetings.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad all is well HS

D