Notices

NA Beer.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I never liked beer, although if it was the only thing in the house after the stores closed I would drink it, which tells me that it wasn't the "taste" of the alcohol I was going for. I was a wine person myself, and I always told myself and everyone else it was the "taste" of wine I enjoyed. This was pure crap, as I would buy the cheapest rotgut wine I could find, quantity over quality, every time! As for non-alcoholic wine, I say that would be beside the point for me. As an alcoholic, I would say "what's the point in drinking something that tastes like wine if I'm not going to get any effect out of it?" It's always been about the buzz, not the taste.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

In my last sobriety I utilized the ole near beer sometimes. Wine is my poison and I wasn't what I would say "physically" dependent on alcohol..so the .5 didn't give me much issue nor did it feel like my poison replacement.

I looked at it today at the grocery store and realized that "without a cigarette"...it didn't have much appeal (I'm trying to quit smoking also). I didn't buy it.
That being said...I guess it's an addiction trigger no matter how I slice it...
Old 06-05-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

idk, sometimes I feel like trying it. Say if it were ice cold, I was sitting out on my deck on a nice summer evening. I get the appeal...but I feel as though I would just constantly be reminded "I have to drink NA beer, cause I "cant" drink regular beer" What normal drinkers actually drink NA beer? It's like going to an all you can eat wing night somewhere and having a soy burger instead. Why??

I can see the allure in having it be compliment to certain foods though. I never ate when I was getting drunk though...at least for the "flavor" It was either Taco Bell or half ass concoctions I made in the kitchen ("waffle ramens" being one of my worst experiments)

Whoever mentioned the ice cold ginger ale though...that sounds absolutely delicious for some reason. I didn't know you could get "craft" ginger ale. I am actually craving THAT over beer right now and I think that is the first time that has ever happened
Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I was in a restaurant a few months ago, I had a small glass of coke. So the kind manager who spotted my glass assumed I was drinking rum and coke as he brought us each a complimentary drink. I guess it's half my fault for not checking. But before the first sip touched the back of my throat I was high as a kite... really lol like a new born giraffe for a little moment. I have had a few no alcohol largers before with no such problems...but it still left me with the problem of doing all that pissing for no real reason
Old 06-09-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I personally stay away from the NA beer and wine as it really doesn't do much for me. Puts my head in a bad place.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

It doesn't seem like a great idea to drink something that tastes exactly like what I'm abstaining from. Not to mention there are far better tasting options

Fancy Ginger Ale is a great idea
Old 06-10-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I hated NA beer when I was a drinker. I see my semi literate drinking friends sometimes drink NA beer and even imagine that they're getting a buzz until I point out that it's NA. You can't make this sh*t up!
Old 06-10-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I've had the European Becks Alkoholfrei and it is quite good. I've not had it since being sober though. I am not sure that would be a good idea for me at this phase in my recovery.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I started drinking NA beer and felt a little buzz... it could have been just that I was hoping to feel one and it psyched me out but I thought I felt a little something.

I drank it for a few months off and on and then wanted real beer... I would definitely say that it was part of the stages that led to one of my relapses.

That is MY experience.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

NA Beer is for Non-Alcoholics.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I started drinking 1 or 2 NA beers, but then I pushed it to 4 or 5, which made a trip to the West Side for a bag seem like a good idea, which made me need 18 NA beers. Eventually I just started drinking bourbon again.

My experience.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Well.....I guess this is why there is can always be a difference of opinion.

I have been drinking NA Beer (Becks is the best, Clausthaler a close second) for many years (in addition to copious amounts of alcohol), and I can't even imagine drinking enough to get a buzz (+30 bottles?). Plus, I think the Becks NA tastes the same as Becks.

What I like about drinking NA beer is that it is a great substitute for wine or "real" beer when eating steak, Italian, Mexican, etc.

I haven't found any other possible substitute while eating that enables me to think that I am "really not missing something" by having a glass of wine or "real" beer........and then be tempted to drink a glass of wine or grab a real beer.

I realize I am in the minority on this......which is why we all have to do what works best for us in our quest to stop drinking.

Day #2 and going strong.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:44 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by camino2012 View Post
Well.....I guess this is why there is can always be a difference of opinion.

I have been drinking NA Beer (Becks is the best, Clausthaler a close second) for many years (in addition to copious amounts of alcohol), and I can't even imagine drinking enough to get a buzz (+30 bottles?). Plus, I think the Becks NA tastes the same as Becks.

What I like about drinking NA beer is that it is a great substitute for wine or "real" beer when eating steak, Italian, Mexican, etc.

I haven't found any other possible substitute while eating that enables me to think that I am "really not missing something" by having a glass of wine or "real" beer........and then be tempted to drink a glass of wine or grab a real beer.

I realize I am in the minority on this......which is why we all have to do what works best for us in our quest to stop drinking.

Day #2 and going strong.
I hate to be the a-hole that says it, but if you've been drinking NA beer for years and you are on day 2 sober you might not be the best person to be endorsing NA beer to those who are trying to stay sober -- at least not at this point in time.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I think any alcoholic substitute is tempting the devil. With so many alternatives, I would question the motive of drinking NA beer. I am reminded of an AA member who had over 2 years sobriety. This individual used to love drinking a sparkling type soda as a substitute for their favourite wine. Didnt think much about it until one party when the real alcohol was available. Her mind switched in an instant and she lost her sobriety. all the demons came back and she has struggled with her sobreity since then. So, perhaps a warning ?
Old 06-12-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

All fair points.....perhaps the difference is if you see NA beer as a "gateway" to alcohol or just a (very) distinct substitute.

I was at an Italian restaurant last night....my wife had a glass of red wine, I would have much preferred a bottle of NA beer (as I would have been happier accompanying the meal with that the taste of that beverage), but none was available, so I went with sparkling water......

Someone said these discussions about NA beer have been going on forever.....maybe because each of us have such different triggers and responses.

Day #3 and going strong......
Old 06-18-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I`v tried that several times and always gone back to drinking again, I can`t conclusively say it was the NA beer that made me go back as it`s happened without it as well, but it`s a chance that i won`t take just in case it is a trigger.

far too much to lose for the sake of a fizzy drink IMO.