Notices

NA Beer.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
Wow. Ya gotta get you some google skills. First shot:

How much alcohol is there in 7 up

Quezi » How much alcohol is in orange juice?

Low-alcohol beer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's more, but I don't wanna argue this.
I can understand why you don't want to argue this because you are WRONG.

TRACE AMOUNTS are present below .09 percent of alcohol. That is volumes LOWER than the .5% in "non alcoholic" beer.

Just because you arent understanding math correctly doesnt make you right.

YOU POSTED that there is MORE alcohol in 7up and OJ. that is PATENTLY FALSE and in my opinion DANGEROUS to spread misinformation on a recovery site.

Im inclined to go with OXFORD university over WIKIANSWERS. http://jat.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/3/181.full.pdf
Old 06-05-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I got some alcohol removed wine last year on my Honeymoon. I felt guilty just buying it, which should have been a sign for me. It tasted like crap, and I threw the rest of the bottle away. Now when I feel like I want something different, I just drink sparkling grape juice. Works better for me.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
I can understand why you don't want to argue this because you are WRONG.

TRACE AMOUNTS are present below .09 percent of alcohol. That is volumes LOWER than the .5% in "non alcoholic" beer.

Just because you arent understanding math correctly doesnt make you right.
Uhh... OK. If you say so. On the OJ, you might be right, on the 7up, yer not. But there is alcohol in OJ, and in many other softdrinks it's equal to or more than it is in most NA beers. Google that. 7up is one of them. The alcohol content varies from bottle to bottle, soda to soda, and beer to beer, but for the most part 7up comes up a winner.

The alcohol in beer is not enough to trigger anybody. The beer itself (taste, look, vibe and idea of it) might very well do so, but not the alcohol content. If ya want to go to battle on this one, I will accept, but I promise you'll lose. Most of us "real" alcoholics are ingesting alcohol in lots of different ways, and it isn't triggering anything. Sorry if that goes against your theories, but my experience, the experience of many sober people around me, and people in this thread are living proof. You're spreading misinformation. Not me.

And none of this makes it a good idea to be drinking NA beer. Some can, some can't.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have never messed with LA beer in recovery.

I just don't want to walk down that path.

The last time I drank a real beer, I spent 35 days in a treatment center.

The reality is the I liked the taste of beer and liquor a lot.

Getting sober requires sacrifice.

I choose to not remind my taste buds, or, worse, my alcoholic brain, of drinks I previously inhaled in massive quantities everyday.

Just my 2 cents - your mileage may vary.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi. this was posted in another thread earlier and I personally don't like taking chances with +35 years soberity.

"In the November issue of the Journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, a team of California scientists report that smell may be enough to trigger cravings and a subsequent relapse among certain alcoholics."

As a side thought for the young uns thinking: Sober is defined as being alcohol free, would less than 1% beer being consumed still be considered sober, forgetting being able to handle it with safety?

BE WELL
Old 06-05-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oft discussed and oft replied.

Originally Posted by me lotsa times
My experience is I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.
I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.

I don't need to know but maybe ask yourself why would you choose NA beer when there's so many other things to drink, though?

Is it really the taste of a beer you want, or are there other things happening here as well?
For me it was all about the behaviour.

D
Old 06-05-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi. this was posted in another thread earlier and I personally don't like taking chances with +35 years soberity.

"In the November issue of the Journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, a team of California scientists report that smell may be enough to trigger cravings and a subsequent relapse among certain alcoholics."

As a side thought for the young uns thinking: Sober is defined as being alcohol free, would less than 1% beer being consumed still be considered sober, forgetting being able to handle it with safety?

BE WELL
And as I said in the other thread where this was posted, a single study with fixed dependent variables and a specific and relatively small sample of people, in this case alcoholics, cannot be generalized to the entire alcoholic population. Even the title of the study limits this by using the term "certain alcoholics".

That isn't how research is used or designed-- and I feel it is a misuse of the data to quote something like that and say it is true for everyone. It isn't.

The small sample of stories here are proof of that.

I agree some people cannot or should not use NA beer, but please quit telling the rest of us that what we are doing is "wrong" or somehow not part of recovery.

This sounds more like dogma than science.

Peace out
Old 06-05-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
And as I said in the other thread where this was posted, a single study with fixed dependent variables and a specific and relatively small sample of people, in this case alcoholics, cannot be generalized to the entire alcoholic population. Even the title of the study limits this by using the term "certain alcoholics".

That isn't how research is used or designed-- and I feel it is a misuse of the data to quote something like that and say it is true for everyone. It isn't.

The small sample of stories here are proof of that.

I agree some people cannot or should not use NA beer, but please quit telling the rest of us that what we are doing is "wrong" or somehow not part of recovery.

This sounds more like dogma than science.

Peace out
I didn't see anyone in this thread "telling" anyone that their recovery method is wrong. I see a lot of people sharing what worked or didn't work for them in regards to NA beer.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I find it nuts for me to ask the Lord to lead me from temptation and then walk into it by trying to drink NA beer.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I don't know if you have noticed guys but almost every thread about NA beer or whether or not alcoholism is a disease ends up in a brawl
Old 06-05-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Reason number 564 I know im an alcoholic....I look at NA beer and say "whats the point!?".
Old 06-05-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Dee "me lotsa times" just made me laugh out loud so hard unexpectedly! Thank you for breaking up the monotony of watching the hell that is a dance recital dress rehearsal.

And i agree with Me Lotsa Times sentiments as well!!!!
Old 06-05-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I said this the last time so I'll just cut and paste as the message never changes

I'm going to have to get on the bandwagon and say it's very risky behavior. In my own experience with NA Beer it only reinforced my brain's desire to drink real Alcoholic beverages. Eventually, I always relapsed on the backs of the "Mocktail"

I should also mention that studies have indicated an endorphin release shortly after the first sip before alcohol enters the blood stream. Your brain derives a similar satisfaction when you imbibe these non-alcoholic versions. You may be inadvertently reconditioning your brain to crave alcohol. Then again, maybe you'll be fine

I steer well clear now of anything that remotely resembles something alcoholic. I have no desire to test fate.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
...studies have indicated an endorphin release shortly after the first sip before alcohol enters the blood stream. Your brain derives a similar satisfaction when you imbibe these non-alcoholic versions.
A similar scenario may be when one hides around a corner, and just before jumping out and saying 'BOO!', that little zing of anticipation runs through one's spine and a giggle is stifled...Gotcha! Ah the satisfaction.

Sudz - this totally makes sense. My sweet dog is going to get a jolt tonight

Cheap thrills of an addict.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I will throw a different angle on this discussion. Recently much work is being done on diet soda vs regular sodas. I don't believe in either. However, recent studies are finding diet sodas may actually be worse then the sugar regular for weight loss bc by tricking our bodies with aspartame and other chemicals to think its sugar our bodies become hungrier. I wonder based on Sudz no more comments if this phenomenon would hold true for NA beer? Data on soda would suggest it might.

Anyhow, I have always hated the taste of beer. All alcohol really. I ended up loving vodka because it did not taste like alcohol.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

It's simple

YUCK!

As a beer 'snob', I could NEVER drink .5% beer.... Nasty, just NASTY!

If it looks like a beer, feels like a beer, tastes like a beer...it's a beer.

Why risk it......
Old 06-05-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Haven't had a NA beer since about 2005. It was ...eh....not that good.
Maybe the flaor has been improved? Lord, I hope so.Or not.
I personally believe this is one of those things that can either trigger someone to
other things, or totally not. Only the person with drink problem knows or will know
after trying.

On that note - the caffine free pepsi I like? Nothing else with do. I won't drink more
than a sip of a coke or a regular pepsi. I hate all diet sodas. I am very stuck on what I like....am a corn/potatoes/meat person.

to each there own.

did not read any other messages on thread. Just get a kick out of how I will change my opinion from year to year on here.
Cheers!
Old 06-05-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I don't know if you have noticed guys but almost every thread about NA beer or whether or not alcoholism is a disease ends up in a brawl
Really?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I've lost track in all the years I've been on here how many NA threads that have been posted.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

yeah! exactly!!!!