Notices

Enjoying work?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Enjoying work?

Hi Friends,

Anyone with a few weeks, months, or years of sobriety - do you find that you enjoy working a lot? Newly, or again?

For me, my work has always been pretty important and meaningful and I've always followed my heart choosing areas, jobs, etc. One of the most devastating components of active alcoholism for me was losing my drive and motivation and seeing these go gradually downhill, affecting even many others on the way. I wondered many times, maybe the loss of motivation is not directly related to my alcoholism, but aging as well.

The good thing is that it seems to have come back full force to me now. And more. I enjoy my work just like ~10 years ago, but in a more complex way. I guess this feeling is also a lift of depression.

Anyone else?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've always kept work and non work life pretty detached, working has always been a means to an end, probably as I don't work in an industry that is either meaningful or life fulfilling, I'm pretty much a number amongst thousands.

However the difference between drinking and now not drinking has been huge, I now look forward to work a lot more, have a lot more energy, my productivity has increased, I have a lot more casual chats with colleagues, all because addiction is out of the picture and hangovers are a thing of the past.

I guess that all filters in to a more content work life, which can only do wonders for the rest of my life!!
Old 06-04-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would say that my work has definitely improved as I was hung over more often than not and had some pretty unproductive days while I was drinking. I do have more motivation to get things done as well.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I break my job enjoyment down into 7 categories:

Commute
Direct Compensation (pay)
Indirect Compensation (benefits)
People I work with
People I work for
Do I feel like the mission is worthwhile
Do I feel like my contribution to the mission is significant

In that order, my current 'like' situation is:
yes
yes
yes
yes
sorta
no
no

So, basically, my job is boring, but the pay is good and the people are nice.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

its the opposite for me. I self medicated stuff like how much i hate my job and what i do with boooze. I removed booze from the equation and now my job drives me totally insane. I need a new job. I'm just having trouble finding something that would be a good fit for me and my family that will also pay the bills around here.

I think i would have chosen a different carreer path had i been sober sooner. I've really found that this just isnt a good fit for me. Maybe i'm just older and wiser now? I dunno. Or maybe i'm tired and burned out maybe its all of the above.

I enjoy a lot of other things a lot more sober tho however.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Guys, this is going to be interesting - please keep it coming. I think we may have some quite big differences in how we assess work satisfaction. Only these few posts...
Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've always been ambitious and my career is very important to me. For a long stretch I was certainly a workaholic. Over time I've come to strike a better "work/life balance" as they call it. I love my work, although when I was drinking heavily I didn't love it as much. Now that I'm sober I'm enjoying it again.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Guys, this is going to be interesting - please keep it coming. I think we may have some quite big differences in how we assess work satisfaction. Only these few posts...
I think there are going to be those that are satisfied and get more from their work than simply their salary to pay the bills, they get some sort of added self fulfilment to their lives, and then for others their job is simply a job, it could change tomorrow and it wouldn't be the end of the world.

But either way, we'll probably all agree that without alcohol added into the equation, things have much improved.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
I think there are going to be those that are satisfied and get more from their work than simply their salary to pay the bills, they get some sort of added self fulfilment to their lives, and then for others their job is simply a job, it could change tomorrow and it wouldn't be the end of the world.

But either way, we'll probably all agree that without alcohol added into the equation, things have much improved.
Well, maybe except for those like zjw - not the first time I heard that view on this board. I do get how some of us have (sometimes radically) different career choices as active addicts vs clean/sober.

I really like Nonsensical's practical assessment. Funny, because in my whole life my choices were very heavily based on these two dimensions:
"Do I feel like the mission is worthwhile"
"Do I feel like my contribution to the mission is significant"
And even before these: my interests.

For me everything else came as secondary, and it happened that I absolutely did not care about where the job was (would I like the environment?) and the people I worked with/for. I learned how important these are the hard way. I guess sometimes the search for "meaning" in life can also get too much, if it interferes with practicality.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

thats the kicker. I can think of a zillion things i'd rather do because there way more rewarding and a much better use of my time but they dont all pay the bills in my case.

If i can figure a way to scale back i will and do something thats more rewarding.

thats the real kicker with what i do i get no reward or personal satisfaction in doing it what so ever. I really dont even get that sense of accomplishment one gets when they finish a task because the projects i work on are so long term and of an ongoing nature. I'd get more personal satisfaction stuffing envelopes least then i could come home smile and say I stuffed 5 more then my record woohooo whats for dinner!

I'll figure something out sooner or later.

its not always about money sometimes less is more.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't enjoy mine .

As soon as I can , I'll never spend another second at my full time job .

I don't hate the people. I do hate the commute and terrible work scedule.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Very interesting, once again. How we make our choices as individuals...

For me, it's really very heavy on my subjective interests. I even chose to not have a family (kids) very young, as a teen, just that I can follow my interests no matter what and wherever they lead me. Led me into a lot of moving around (places, countries), and 'research' as a career... isn't that funny?

But no security. So far I've been terrible at establishing long term practical things, that many people find very important and primary goal. These days, I often get very anxious about my approach as I have accumulated very little material goods and security for myself in the name of what I thought "freedom". And I still have very little motivation to work on these things more, even though it does give me a lot of anxiety underneath the surface... I don't think this is any better in the sum of things than the approach of those of us who settled for security and sacrificed their personal interests. This is why I like Nons' practical assessment: I truly think in order for us to be really satisfied, anxiety-free, and content, it's got to be a balance of all those factors.

Amazing how different we are in some things and I feel I've learned a lot just by processing the content of what you all have said so far. Thank you!

So for those that are not satisfied with work currently: are you planning to make changes? Do you feel driven to make changes? I guess it's a bit like the recovery question...
Old 06-04-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Finding work that I enjoyed was one of my main prayers when I got sober. I'd always been told I was a sales type guy(or a comedian), but I'd tried it, and several other things before getting sober, and I didn't get much enjoyment out of any type of work it seemed. I was miserable. At 5 or 6 years sober I tried sales again, it was all I could find at the time. I still have the same commission based sales job almost 17 years now. I've built a nice little business for myself (and my employer), and most days I really do enjoy my work and I feel empowered, almost like I have my own business, but without all the headaches. It's truly been a blessing from God. Thanks God! Someday maybe I'll get the cajones to try stand up comedy. I still have people telling me regularly I should do that.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
So for those that are not satisfied with work currently: are you planning to make changes? Do you feel driven to make changes? I guess it's a bit like the recovery question...
I keep my eyes open, but I am not actively looking. Ideally I'd like to facilitate changes in my current job so that I could start liking the parts of it I don't currently like. There are some leadership changes on the horizon, so I will probably wait until those happen before I take any action. No sense trying to implement changes that the new boss might override with different changes when he arrives. It would be unfair to the people working for me.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Happy, joyous, and free

I'm doing something I could never have done sober and I absolutely love it. Just another gift of sobriety.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I was on stress leave from my previous job when I quit drinking. I didn't go back to it because I was afraid I would use it as an excuse to drink again. And truth was I hated the job and was sick of it.

The job I have now doesn't pay much, but I get to do it from home so I don't have to commute or worry about getting all dressed up. I basically deal with people who are calling in regards to their cell phone billing. I can't imagine doing this job hungover. I have discovered that I have wayyy more patience now than I did in the past. I actually surprise myself somedays!

However, I really prefer hobbies as opposed to working. I hate working in general, who invented it anyways! I was really meant to be a lady of leisure and I'm sure that I am going to win the lottery soon so that I can partake in all my hobbies .
Old 06-05-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I wouldn't say I'm driven to make changes to my worklife, having worked in different jobs and for different companies, it all looks the same to me, so changing jobs or company in my mind won't change anything, it'll be the same stress, making profit for a company, who I'm expendable for, at the expense of my time and energy, that I thankfully get paid for at the end of the month.

I think my real problem is I'm not exactly sure what I like or would like to do as a job, so I have no idea if maybe a career change would fix things, soo many people in life that I meet know what they want to work as, what they like, I've never had that, I know how to do my job and I am good at it, but it doesn't give me happiness, but don't get me wrong it doesn't depress me either, it just gives me a pay cheque.

I focus on what I like outside of work and that at least gives me some happiness and contentment in life. I'm not exactly signed up to the idea that we all need to have fulfillment in a job, or that fulfillment can be even attained in every job, is that even possible? yes there are types of jobs out there that can give that, but all the other industries still need employees too.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I built a career that looked and smelled successful. But now I'm sober, I basically feel like I've been plonked into someone else's life.

My career is not what I was setting out to do 11 or so years ago. That being said, we live in an extremely different job market and economy now also, so a few things to take into consideration.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have written responses a few times but not hit post on this OP.

If I take the last year I was active this past year in recovery, I tripled my business. We are on a run rate to see a 5x increase. I attribute this to being able to effectively manage my Team and use my time more wisely. I am also able to see things develop and not reacting to events.

That said, I am realizing that my job while attractive to many is likely reaching the twilight of this career. I feel at 40 I probably have another two or three careers in me though. I am trying to figure out these next moves and use my current success to make sure that money has nothing to do with my next venture. If money is out of the picture then my motives are pure and compensation will be much greater financial and spiritual when I am doing something I genuinely feel impassioned by.

None of my successes would be possible to enjoy or have if I was still active.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I love not being hungover every day, no matter what I'm doing. I'm self employed and my work changes all the time. Most of the time I like it. A big part of my job is being a father to my two young kids and I love that. I am truly blessed to have great and interesting people in my life. Being sober has allowed me to appreciate that more.