Notices

my first step..... and it made me cry

Old 06-01-2014, 11:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my first step..... and it made me cry

Hey guys.

I have posted a bunch of times but I must admit.. I never actually reached out to AA.
I can be honest... I had a few drinks but felt guilty.. so....
I finally called tonight to inquire and I was In tears on the phone.
The person I got was so straight forward on what to expect at an aa meeting as well as a few words of encouragement.
Tomorrow I will be going to my first aa meeting.

Im so young and I was worried id be judged.... but I know we are all in it together.
I will post tomorrow night about my experience. Thank you all... for input...posts....understanding.... everything.
I need this. I do.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Well done Teil. It took a lot of courage to make that call, and it took a lot to get me to my first meeting.

The main thing I remember was this old guy with a bright yellow bush shirt, white hair, and a big smile. He was glad to see me, and that was a new experience.

I listens for my first few meetings. While a lot of stories were different to mine, the way they drank and the way they felt was very similar. I knew I was in the right place. Btw, I was 22 at the time, and I haven't needed to drink since.

Good luck tomorrow, your new life awaits you
Old 06-01-2014, 11:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Well done Teil. It took a lot of courage to make that call, and it took a lot to get me to my first meeting.

The main thing I remember was this old guy with a bright yellow bush shirt, white hair, and a big smile. He was glad to see me, and that was a new experience.

I listens for my first few meetings. While a lot of stories were different to mine, the way they drank and the way they felt was very similar. I knew I was in the right place. Btw, I was 22 at the time, and I haven't needed to drink since.

Good luck tomorrow, your new life awaits you
Thankyou for your kind words!! Im nervous..happy..excited..nervous.... but your post calmed me a bit. Thankyou
Old 06-01-2014, 11:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think making the call and actually walking through the doors to AA are hard, but once done you are on your way. A whole world of opportunity, hope and friends are there for you. Go grab it.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi tiel, well done.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tiel. I'm sure the meeting experience will be a good one. I think you will find there was nothing to worry about afterall.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great stuff Tiel, I've never gone to AA myself but I'd imagine it to be full of similar people that are here on SR, welcoming, respectful and understanding, just regular people on the same journey to be Sober.

Have a great meeting!!
Old 06-02-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I first started going to AA when I was 25 and there were lots and lots of people my age.

Now at 35, I actually feel a bit old in the program! There are lots of people my age, or course, but so many of them have double digit sobriety! I wish I had stayed when I was 25...

AA isn't like what you see on TV--a bunch of haggard men with briefcases chain smoking.

The trick is to really check out a few meetings and find one (or a few) in your area that you click with. I started going back to AA last year and went to a meeting place that was not right for me and, I have to say, it contributed to my relapse. I should have just gone on to check out some more meetings.

I have now found a handful of meetings I really look forward to attending.

You are young, the best thing you can do for yourself is to get sober. I feel like I literally lost my 20's and early 30's.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As an AA member - I promise you we all love the kiddos, instantly. Most of us are parents. They will love you until you can love yourself. I promise. Please hold on to that.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Good for you, tiel. What an important phone call you made! AA will be a great investment in you and your future. I wish I had had your courage and determination when I was younger