Notices

Being selfish

Old 05-26-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being selfish

I just made it to thirty days today, and during the last month I've spent tons of time thinking and reflecting... I hear a lot of people here and in AA talk about alcohol making use selfish. Of course no one wants to think of themselves as selfish, and it's been really hard for me to objectively look back and see how selfish I had become.

I think back to a break up prior to the most recent (which prompted the beginning of my current sobriety). That boyfriend had told me in a later conversation, this is after I had drunkenly yelled at him and broke up with him, that I was a good person but that I was really selfish. This was years ago now, but then I had almost instantly pushed that comment as far away as possible. I think about it often now and think about how selfish I had been since. I hope that the drinking was the main cause, but some time especially when I'm feeling down, it gets hard to think positive about myself. I hope I'm not selfish; and I can honestly say that in the last 30 days, I have not been at all. So, maybe it was the beer and wine? I think it helps to keep this in mind though, and not allow for me to totally blame it on the alcohol.

Anyone else caught here with selfishness or any of those other not fun feelings?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

"Selfishness, self centredness, that we think is the root of our troubles"

Nobody likes reading page 62. It seems our selfishness is the cause of our alcoholism rather than the other way around or, to put it another way, we must be rid of this selfishness of it kills us.

How this works became very clear to me in step 4. I was my own worst enemy, self will run riot. But it can be fixed by working the steps.

All the best.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was incredibly selfish whilst drinking. Giving up drinking and that entire lifestyle and the domino effect it caused has changed me completely. I found that I had to quit abusing alcohol first, THEN I could focus on making myself a better person. Alcohol holds us back in so many ways.