Notices

Seems like SR member's don't stay long term..

Old 05-31-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

I've been a member for a long, long time. I've been sober for maybe a single long time. I lurk, I pop up in chat every now and again. But I've learned that I really have nothing constructive to say to the newly sober. I remember all the thousands of false starts and have become a firm believer in "you will stop when you are ready."

That said, I've met some amazing people on this site and I credit this site immensely in my own struggle to stay sober. I love it here, Sometimes I just feel I have nothing to contribute.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by Texasblind View Post
I've been a member for a long, long time. I've been sober for maybe a single long time. I lurk, I pop up in chat every now and again. But I've learned that I really have nothing constructive to say to the newly sober. I remember all the thousands of false starts and have become a firm believer in "you will stop when you are ready."

That said, I've met some amazing people on this site and I credit this site immensely in my own struggle to stay sober. I love it here, Sometimes I just feel I have nothing to contribute.
I'm the same.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Ditto

Ditto for me re: the sentiments in the 2 Posts above. I'm only a ~5 month 'Veteran', but the phase I'm in now is quite different - of course - than the first week or two. I called my Day 5 or so 'The Rinse'. That was when it felt to me as though the continuous Alcohol content had 'rinsed' out of my System, and the roughest Home Detox Symptoms had abated. What an incentive a rough Detox is, eh? Lawdy.

I seriously tried to stop only a few times, here, late in Life, so I've got little to offer on the 'many-attempts-to-stop' Scenarios.

If someone has posted prior something close to what I would have said, I figger it's a waste of Bandwidth to say the same thing again. That's just the way my 'practical', formerly-sotted Brain works.

SR has been my sole, very valuable Resource. I do plan to hang here for a long time, and provide some payback when it might make a difference to help out someone.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Wow! Three in a row lurkerish members with long time sobriety who count SR as their primary sobriety tool! The numbers, like Project Match for example, say that most of us, formerly alcohol dependent, become sober without any formal recovery program. What you good good folks have to offer SR is your story, your testimony that says that this, at least from your experience, is 100% truth!

Texasblind, TornRealization and Mesaman, I intend no slight, be very sure of this, just my most sincere gratitude and appreciation for your posts. Thank you. Please feel free to share this most wonderful achievement, it is more important than you might appreciate. Best to you.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm enjoying hearing about people's personal experiences.

Lets not make this thread into a my recovery can beat up your recovery thing, ok guys?

D
Old 05-31-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Texasblind View Post

I dunno Tex, I think you just did contribute, and constructively taboot.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Most alcoholics don't stay sober, that's simply the sad reality. I'm in my 23rd year of sobriety thanks to AA, but I just don't drink today.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Most alcoholics don't stay sober, that's simply the sad reality. I'm in my 23rd year of sobriety thanks to AA, but I just don't drink today.
I'm not making my goals. 23 years- I am jealous and am glad.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

I stopped drinking 17 months ago as a New Years resolution. Those never last, right?....hah! But I joined the Monthly Support thread on SR while also reviewing the many tools and best practices to stay sober that are on SR. This place gave me the perspective and means to change my life. I don't post that much anymore but still check in for many reasons. Thanks to all who participate and contribute to SR.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
Hi Sophie and welcome. Forever seems like a really long time at the outset. Because we are making a very significant change it makes it easier to just concentrate on what is in front of us at the outset.

I guess I would explain it to someone like your friend this way. Have you ever had such a bad breakup with a beau that you can barely breathe? Can't imagine getting through a night let alone a weekend without him? Everything reminds you of him, the world seems like a light has gone out. It can be impossible to fathom that there is any sort of life after the breakup, it is hard just to function at first without him

A month passes, then all of a sudden you realize you haven't thought of him at all one day. Then you are at a half a year, and suddenly you can take full breaths again. Within time your life takes on a whole new shape without this person in it. Now imagine it was someone who hurt you constantly at the end…in time most of us will be able to look back and say what took me so long?

That is what getting sober is like to me. At first it was always on my mind, drinking was attached to everything, I just could not imagine living without it. I am coming up on a year, and just like the ex, it sinks deeper and deeper into the background. The space that the alcohol took up is filling in beautifully with other healthier elements.

I remember having one breakup that was so bad I was convinced I would never get over it. I decided that if at the end of one year I was still so wretched I would become a nun, no joke. But a year later, I had moved on. It still mattered, but less and less. And I truly knew that he would never be part of my life again, that he just wasn't good for me, and I knew I never wanted to relive anything like those first few days and weeks again.

OK, maybe too long an explanation to give your friend, but maybe this will help you a bit.

PS: Didn't become a nun/ do wear too much black though.
jaynie04.... I just wanted to thank you for this fantastic post. What a great way to think about recovery, truly I had never thought of it this way before.

I remember going through a break-up in my teens that I thought I'd never get over.....but of course I did!

I'm really going to try to apply this way of thinking when I have a craving.

Thank you, this has really helped me.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

I for one really enjoy this forum. Thank you all for being here!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I'll be completely honest... in the beginning, I lived on this website. It helped me SO much. After awhile when I felt more secure in my sobriety, I stopped logging in as much because it was really hard to see people with the same amount of sobriety as me relasping. It actually made it harder for me! I needed my sobriety to be a thing of positivity, and sometimes the threads can be a bit of a downer on me. I mean no disrepect to anyone here. I know the struggle, i've been there.

Anyway, I still log on, but very few and far between. When I do come back though, I really like it and think I should log on more often!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by Live2Run25 View Post
I'll be completely honest... in the beginning, I lived on this website. It helped me SO much. After awhile when I felt more secure in my sobriety, I stopped logging in as much because it was really hard to see people with the same amount of sobriety as me relasping. It actually made it harder for me! I needed my sobriety to be a thing of positivity, and sometimes the threads can be a bit of a downer on me. I mean no disrepect to anyone here. I know the struggle, i've been there.

Anyway, I still log on, but very few and far between. When I do come back though, I really like it and think I should log on more often!
Congratulations on two years!