Notices

Seems like SR member's don't stay long term..

Old 05-27-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Well I'm here if you need an ear! I'm a good listener. And like to think I can give some good advice at times! I'm feeling a bit better today. My life situation isn't all that great either. I lost my marriage and a son. Tears are heavy!!
Old 05-27-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

The way I feel now, I can't imagine what could make me not come to SR and interact. I joined quite a long time ago but did not use the board the right way until this January... and it has literally changed my life even within this short period so far. I find this a very powerful tool if used properly and it's very well organized and maintained.

I am also in awe with the quality and honesty of the discussions here, and so many interesting topics that go far beyond the main theme of SR.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Desypete, Salv, my heart breaks for you. I don't mean to single anybody out because so many have lost so much but I send you both my deepest sympathies and good wishes. May you find calm blue water.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

When I first joined SR, I posted and never came back for a year, it was on the whim of something needs to change, not to sure how to do it, let's see what google has to say, and up popped SR. That was the start of me admitting to myself that I had a problem, I didn't know what I was going to do or how to do it, but looking back now I was reaching out for help.

One year later, I relocated my SR account, had to get a re advice of my login details as couldn't remember them, but it was on that Saturday morning I made my commitment to be Sober. I had 2 posts on SR in a year, but I was on my way.

I guess for many there is a gap between, realising a problem and doing something about it, not many are signed up to Sobriety straight away, many are asking questions about themselves, do I really have a problem, do I need to change, the process from asking these questions to actually committing to Sobriety can be a long one, it took me a year, some may take longer.

This may explain one aspect of the quick turnaround of newcomers to the Forum. I joined and immediately disappeared for a year, before coming back, now you couldn't keep me away!!
Old 05-27-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Very grateful for SR

Thanks for all the wonderful posts, SR really was a turning point for me. I had been trying on and off for years to become and more importantly to remain sober for the long run. Something just clicked and I started blogging nearly everyday, reading posts, sharing and so on. There was a point where I nearly drank back in September 2012, I was just short of 5 months sober and struggling with horrible urges to drink. I had the drink in my hand and the thought came to me, if you drink, you have to go back and be honest about it on SR. I thought a little, put down the drink, logged on for quite a while and ended up not picking up. What a relief and at that moment, finally, I felt like I had a chance. I'm not online as much now, but when I feel out of balance, I hop on and read others posts and find something helpful. I am very grateful to have SR and know without a shadow a doubt, it has greatly benefitted my sobriety.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
does it matter if people like you or hate you ?

i have found this site to be an add on for me to pop on and see if there is anything i can do or an experience i can pass on

i find the online format very different from what i am used to in face to face meetings and dealing with people in person etc
but its got to be a help for people who are to shy to come to aa or those who lock themselves away at home.

anything that can help anyone is a good thing in my book and it doesnt matter about the success rates really as there isnt any known cure out there that has 100% success nor even 10% successes

i wonder in the future will we just have robots programed to give out info or spout out some guidance will the human touch be lost as we progress with technology ?
who knows ? but so long as people are willing to give there time and efforts to help others for free then its a good thing in my book so i can only say well done for providing a free self help meeting point to the site management and its helpers
Erm hate is a bit of a strong word but yes, it does matter if people hate me because I don't deserve it - therefore it is unjust. xxxxx
Old 05-27-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

i stand on one leg and drop my trousers and whistle an annoying tune to anyone who picks on me. take that i say to them

it doesn't work by the way, but it makes me feel better
Big LOL XXXX
Old 05-27-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

i dont know much about Buddhism, but are you claiming that if alcoholics come to Buddhism, they will never drink again and be cured ?
do people come and try out Buddhism and fail ? or not come back again after there first meeting ?

all i know is aa works for me its worked now for many many years i believe in my heart that its the only way to stay sober and i base that belief on the people who come back into aa after going out again drinking compered to those memebers who have kept on coming back and stay sober so something must work
but its the nature of the beast people dont really accept there problem or accept a new way of living they only do things in half's rather then give themselves to it
one thing i did believe in is if you truly believe it will work it will work

however losing my son to stomach cancer and he was only 16 made me rethink that as we all truly believed the drs would save him, i truly believed god would save him

he died nothing saved him so i have to rethink things to find out what it is i believe in anymore
i belive aa can help me with my drinking problem and how to cope with life good or bad if i follow a way of living good but thats it end of there are no miracles going to happen or lotto wins etc (not that i want a lotto win) thats just stuff people make up in there minds in my view
so i have live each day with pain and not turn to booze and its easy not turning to booze but its not easy trying to cope with the pain
i get out of myself by trying to attend meetings listening to others who are in pain with the booze and i try to give them so sort of hope

thats what is working for me right now and has worked for me whenever i was in trouble but it took me a long time to get there
i have daily pain but i have to push on one day at a time being honest with you i would be quite happy if the drs told me i was going to die today as i would be free from this daily living
but thats how i feel at times i have other kids that need me as they lost a brother and i have to be there for them to help them

so i have lost the point i was trying to make here and ended up going into a long speach about what works for people, whatever might work for me might not work for others is the point i am trying to make
So sorry for your loss. I cannot even begin to imagine your pain and there's me whining about rude people xxxx
Old 05-27-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Well, not a lot on here when I joined a long time ago. Some I still have an occasional contact with off of here. With new members signing on daily you make new friends on line though :
Old 05-27-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
. and it has literally changed my life even within this short period so far. I find this a very powerful tool if used properly and it's very well organized and maintained.

I am also in awe with the quality and honesty of the discussions here, and so many interesting topics that go far beyond the main theme of SR.
Me too! I am very impressed in how well run it is. I love this site I come here everyday.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I joined, I posted, I drank. I came back, I posted, I drank. I've come back, I'm posting, I'm not going to drink.

I especially need the 24 hour club. That is my number one form of accountability for now. There are people signing up there that I don't see elsewhere on the site. Essential.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

SR has been a compliment to my program of recovery for almost 7 years now. It is a way for me to hear others opinions on subjects, listen to new ideas, meet new people, and occasionally help another person.

I occasionally go through periods where I only lurk and/or do not check the boards daily and even have gone several months without checking in but I always seem to be drawn back here. There are people here whom I know care very deeply about others sobriety. There is a broad base of knowledge and experience here. SR is unlike any other website I have encountered. I am truly grateful that it is here and sincerely appreciate all of those that contribute to making this site run like it does.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
There certainly are folks that leave, not ready to commit to themselves and to their lives, and we read about them when they return to make that decision. It is sad for each of us when drop off and go back out, but our collective spirit is strengthened on their return.

There are also a great many who no longer post regularly, who are just too busy now with full, happy and complete lives to spend much time here. I know about some of them from personal experience who drop me a line once in a while.

I like to think that of those that no longer post, most are alive and well, sober, and doing just fine thank you very much. I wish them well.
Ahhhh that's a really nice way to look at it. Ill share that sentiment with you in the world of SR because i cant share it in real life as i know better unfortunately. I am in AA and people dont just pop down for a few months and then go off and live happy, joyous lives, would be nice if they did. I wish them all well too, hope that helps them:-)

Mind you i am looking at that from an AA point if view. I notice that you used AVRT which means you are recovered and know you wont ever drink again, and you don't need any support groups so maybe those people have just moved on and are not not drinking and have learned how to deal with their feelings and emotions so they are no longer a blight on others lives.

Once again i do like your view on this though, it reminds me of the film Frozen i watched with my grandson over the weekend.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
Big LOL XXXX
good glad to see you smile
Old 05-28-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

My level of posting is directly related to how much I have to work out. Maybe a lot of these non posters just got through their issues faster. I haven't been to a therapist so it is probably taking me longer. Some people probably stick around afterward because they have some kind of healing nature to them. If I go AWOL it will be a good thing.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I lurk, reading post helps me stay sober. I'm not much of a talker in real life and seldom post on the Internet anywhere.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Just thought I'd jump in here. I've been here for six months, and my time on SR varies. I am, however, working on moving away from digital life and as much as I can into my real life. It's a huge irony for me that while drinking I submerged myself in a rather vast on line 'world,' looking for fulfillment of some kind. But it was SR that saved me, and it is SR that is allowing me to get away from the computer and bottle: does that make any sense? Anyway, if you do not see me here for a stretch, it is not because I'm drinking. That s*#! Will never go in my body again. Period.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by malcolmsloan View Post
Just thought I'd jump in here. I've been here for six months, and my time on SR varies. I am, however, working on moving away from digital life and as much as I can into my real life. It's a huge irony for me that while drinking I submerged myself in a rather vast on line 'world,' looking for fulfillment of some kind. But it was SR that saved me, and it is SR that is allowing me to get away from the computer and bottle: does that make any sense? Anyway, if you do not see me here for a stretch, it is not because I'm drinking. That s*#! Will never go in my body again. Period.
i am so glad to see this post
as i worry about people staying isolated from people and real life and its just so easy to stay at home and by a pc instead of out in the real world

computer addiction is and can be just as harmful for me hence i am at a meeting face to face most nights of the week and i go to work and i can pop in here when i have some free time but i have to watch myself as sometimes i can stay in and end up with a long session on the computer
it seems i can get addicted to anything that i really like doing thats what i have to be careful of
so i am glad to see this post and well done for waking up to it
Old 05-29-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
orangutan

Originally Posted by ImReadyToQuit View Post
I know of one member that posted here quite frequently about his health problems and passed sadly. I won't say his name, but it does happen more then we think probably.
I made friends with a member here who had cirrhosis , we kept in contact by PM and then he just stopped posting and I hate not knowing what happened to him. There are other members who posted a lot and suddenly just stopped posting. I think its the hardest part of being in a forum like this. Not knowing if people are alright.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I used to post on here back in 2009 or so when I first quit drinking. I visited the site daily for a long time, then less so as alcohol ceased being an important part of my life. I pop in here about once a year or so just to see what's going on & whether I recognize any of the names. I'm working on 5 years alcohol-free now, emphasis on free. Hang in there, y'all.