Notices

Your first AA meeting..

Old 05-25-2014, 11:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Your first AA meeting..

Hello all.
I have spent a solid hour reading posts, as I sometimes do. And I read a few about folks who attended their first meeting and really enjoyed it.. and there were some who left with a bad taste in their mouth, so to speak.
My question is.... I would like to go to a meeting.. but I would love a perspective on some of your guy' first meetings.
I am an atheist and I know that a lot of aa is faith based and I know a lot of people will say that I can choose what my "higher power" is.. and I am aware I can imagine/visualize whatever that may be in my mind.. but that faith base, I feel, might get in the way of the good info or advice I may receive.
Anyway, I'm rambling....
I just wanted some input on your first meeting/s.... and how they go. Do you all sit in a circle and chat? Is it a group who stand up chatting and drinking coffee.... I am so sorry if I sound so ignorant.. but hey.. I am lol.
Thanks everyone.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't been to a meeting but thinking it should be an option for prolonged sobriety.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was naturally anxious going to my first meeting, but I was met with welcoming, friendly people who had all done the same things I had. It could have been a parents meeting at school the people were so normal. I sat, I listened, I felt relieved....

The format of the meeting was coffee beforehand, then someone led the meeting, speaking for 20 minutes about their relationship with alcohol and their recovery. People then responded, sharing what had happen/happening for them. Very relaxed, no need to speak unless you want to.

Make it known you are new, and you will be looked after!

Go to different meetings, they are all varied, and soon you will settle on a home group. Can't imagine where I would be without AA and the friends I have made there.

Good luck.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There as many types of meetings as there are snowflakes. I recommend simply going. Just go. Try one. No one is going is going to make you commit to anything. You have nothing to lose.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Happy, joyous, and free

My first meeting was a newcomer's meeting and people were incredibly kind and compassionate. I didn't know what to think--and I certainly wasn't ready to surrender. But that group was later key to my sobriety.

There were meetings that didn't suit my fancy, but that's why there are so many meetings. If you don't like the first one you go to, try another!

In general, people are nice. If there's a greeter, tell them you're new (if you feel comfortable with that). They should help you get comfortable.

Yes, we sit down and talk. There's a format we follow, a bit different for every meeting. Some have a speaker, some read from the Big Book. Don't let being an atheist stop you. Plenty of people of many/no faiths in the program who feel welcome.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 05-26-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi. Good info above. IMO going to an O= Open speaker meeting would be good for about the first month. An open speaker meeting is where a few people share their experience, strength and hope for a whole meeting and the audience just listens. OD = Open Discussion meetings are where most people share in a particular topic. All you might want to say is “My name is Sue and I’ll listen.” If you want to say I’m new that’s great. There are many, perhaps 10 or so types of meeting so I’d suggest the most important AA hand out literature to get ASAP is a MEETING LIST and perhaps ask someone the what’s about it.
BE WELL