Notices

7 months follow up

Old 05-23-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 months follow up

Since I posted a couple days ago, I've been reading a lot of other peoples posts, in particular those still in the early days and weeks of quiiting. It struck me that there are big positive changes in store for them, and thought I might share (my experience) so they feel inspired:

1. No more daily cravings. At most once a month, and sometimes a pang when others are drinking around me. I am however quite prepared for them because I had so many in the first few months. When I do have them, I just think it through to the end, and see myself with the worst hangover in history and an ocean of regrets that I have to start over. I have learned to not trust these cravings, that they are not coming from my higher self, and that they will pass.
2. My need for immediate gratification is no longer tied to drinking! Now it's a nice meal, a juice, run, workout, movie, long drive, lazy evening on the couch, etc. There are infinite ways to change our state of mind, and I am able to take responsibility for being creative about this, and definitely still adding to my list.
3. For the first few months, I felt like I was running a marathon with a 60 lb backpack. Every day all I wanted to do was stop, or be at the finish line. Now that I've been training my sober muscles for 7 months, it's gotten much easier, and I'm definitely not inclined to throw away all this hard work, only to have to start at the beginning again! The early days were brutal, so don't give up before it gets better!
4. In summary, the challenge has shifted from daily to monthly. I no longer feel the need to congratulate myself for making it through an evening or weekend (though obviously I am very proud of myself for every day sober). But I do definitely feel a real sense of accomplishment and improvement as the months pass. My hope is that this will shift into even larger time frames as I go on, and someday will just feel like the wonderful life of someone who just happens not to drink.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by SonomaGal View Post
Since I posted a couple days ago, I've been reading a lot of other peoples posts, in particular those still in the early days and weeks of quiiting. It struck me that there are big positive changes in store for them, and thought I might share (my experience) so they feel inspired:

1. No more daily cravings. At most once a month, and sometimes a pang when others are drinking around me. I am however quite prepared for them because I had so many in the first few months. When I do have them, I just think it through to the end, and see myself with the worst hangover in history and an ocean of regrets that I have to start over. I have learned to not trust these cravings, that they are not coming from my higher self, and that they will pass.
2. My need for immediate gratification is no longer tied to drinking! Now it's a nice meal, a juice, run, workout, movie, long drive, lazy evening on the couch, etc. There are infinite ways to change our state of mind, and I am able to take responsibility for being creative about this, and definitely still adding to my list.
3. For the first few months, I felt like I was running a marathon with a 60 lb backpack. Every day all I wanted to do was stop, or be at the finish line. Now that I've been training my sober muscles for 7 months, it's gotten much easier, and I'm definitely not inclined to throw away all this hard work, only to have to start at the beginning again! The early days were brutal, so don't give up before it gets better!
4. In summary, the challenge has shifted from daily to monthly. I no longer feel the need to congratulate myself for making it through an evening or weekend (though obviously I am very proud of myself for every day sober). But I do definitely feel a real sense of accomplishment and improvement as the months pass. My hope is that this will shift into even larger time frames as I go on, and someday will just feel like the wonderful life of someone who just happens not to drink.

A great read and so very true, I'm right behind you in timeline at 6 months and just beginning to feel good again, still have tired spells during the day sometimes but that's maybe more to do with my diet etc. but yeah it gets a lot better through time.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm about a month behind you in sobriety, and I can echo everything you've said!
Although PAWS is giving me some anxiety, I LOVE my sober life!!
xo