Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Being sent as an in-patient to a rehab unit for 5 days soon - what to expect

Notices

Old 05-21-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi,

I'm 23, male in the UK.

Long story short, I binge drank every other day 30-40 UK Units a session (about a bottle of vodka and a few beers) and did so for around 5-6 years. Want to stop, so made appointment at clinic.

Today I went to an appointment made through our local NHS alcohol service who sent me for a blood test last week. Today the results came back mostly fine apart from one which was my serum level or something. Apparently it should be under 35 and mine was 168 which is apparently pretty bad and means I have fatty liver.

They were going to put me on a community detox but because this value was so high they want to put me in a rehab hospital to make sure my liver is ok and stuff. I have to go in for 5 days, possibly more

Has anyone been on a rehab unit before? What to expect.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

expect to be busy
Old 05-21-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Expect a lot of attention and a busy schedule, but also expect to learn a lot about living a new, better life. View it as an opportunity - because it is.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know there are differences between the USofA and the UK for rehabs. But if you are going to a rehab only hospital, expect to get plenty of rest, except for when they wake you every 4 hours or so to check you vitals etc. If you recall one flew over the cuckoos nest, when MacMurph came shuffling through the room - that will be you for a day or two. They are going to relax you and watch every move you make. You are going to be fed and maybe have some counseling sessions. Probably not a whole lot else.

If you graduate - step down - to a rehab facility then it is a strict schedule of meetings etc. Up early and bed early
Old 05-22-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I am also based in the UK and was admitted to a rehab centre back in January.

The first couple of days were focused primarily around physical recovery - I was breathalysed and checked over by a doctor on arrival and my blood alcohol content was monitored until it dropped below a certain level, at which point I was given my first dose of Librium to detox. If you need a detox, they will do everything they can to make things as comfortable as possible for you. I stayed in my room for the entirety of the first full day, save for meeting my 'detox buddy' (everyone at my centre was assigned one during my stay) - someone who has been staying a little longer and is further down the recovery process than yourself, who is able to offer any words of encouragement and give you an idea of what to expect. There was no huge pressure for the first couple of days - I was encouraged to eat small amounts of food and gradually build this up, and go to the communal area to mingle if I felt well enough, but I wasn't expected to participate in the full programme.

My stay was for three weeks in total - as LBrain has said, we had a very strict timetable which did include early starts. A typical day may consist of some group therapy, CBT, holistic treatment or time for personal assignments/listening to the completed assignments of others (I completed my Step 1 whilst I was there, and a lot of people had to write a 'Life Story'). In the evenings, we might go to a gym/spa, have a quiz/games night, or attend an AA/NA meeting. Once a week, we had a guest speaker - usually another recovering alcoholic. Weekends were a bit more open-ended, but we might go out on an excursion, do some art therapy or go for a walk. We also received visitors on a Sunday afternoon.

You will learn a lot and it should be one of the most valuable experiences in your recovery. Everyone at my centre was really friendly, and we would all support/cheer each other on when times were hard. I am still in touch with a lady who went in a day or so after I did and we occasionally catch up at aftercare or NA meetings.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you are in for detox they will get you off the booze safely and thats about it. What you do after that is your decision. If you are in for rehab then when detoxed the work usually starts.
Detox and rehab are very different experiences.
Good luck with whatever you do.
G
Old 05-22-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My recovery began 23 yrs ago at the
ripe age of about 30. Family intervened
on me at that time in my life as a mom
and wife and someone who desperately
needed help. It was them getting me that
help when I certainly couldnt do it myself.

As I reflect back on the past 23 yrs,
those first 28 days in rehab gave me
a clean start in life without depending
on alcohol using the knowledge taught
to me about my addiction and its affects
on my mind, body and soul and others
around me.

I was given some vital tools, suggestions
before being set on my path in recovery, learning
to live life on lifes terms incorporating steps
and principles set down for us to use each
day we don't drink.

I recall being scared, angry, sad, just a whole
bunch of mixed feelings that first night I spent
in the mental ward. The next full day with no
alcohol in my system, I was tested for my mental
state which was fine. The only problem they
saw was my struggles with alcohol.

From there I began to learn about alcoholism
all to the best of my ability. Those first 28days
sober was only a meer drop of water in a bucket
so to speak. In fact I learned that my recovery
was a lifelong journey of changes, willingness,
acceptance, openmindedness in order to remain
sober a day at a time.

Fast forward to today, im still on that journey
sharing and passin on all that knowledge of
recovery that was passed on to me thru out
23 yrs. Passing on my own experiences, strengths
and hopes of what my life was and is like before,
during and after alcohol.

This recipe for my recovery has thus far been
successful for me as I continue to enjoy the
promises as stated in the Big Book Of Alcoholics
Anonymous , as gifts to be grateful for to live
my life, Happy, Joyous and Free in recovery.

LISTEN, LEARN, ABSORB, APPLY !!!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How are you getting on? Have you been admitted yet? Keep posting if you need support .
Old 05-27-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

5 days is detox not rehab. I spent most of my 5 days of detox in bed. Heck I couldn't do anything - had to have nurses help my to use the bathroom - it took 4 days before I could go on my own.

Detox is mandatory - you WILL detox, with or without medical supervision once you quit drinking.

Rehab is much more involved, usually at least 4 weeks and voluntary (unless the court system steps in) and you'll be very busy.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.