Notices

I am sober

Old 05-21-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am sober

I have been going through a really rough couple of months. I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and of course I want it to move faster but it just amazes me what the AA program has brought to my life.

I can experience all sorts of negative emotions and drinking them away does not even enter my mind anymore.

Every single experience can be handled using my HP, the AA program, the AA fellowship, gratitude, faith and action. I have found a better way to live and I am so very grateful.

It is just one of those days that I feel the desire to dwell on every single one of my difficulties and no matter how hard I try to stay in the funk and dwell on them, one thought keeps floating to the top…I’m sober.

I am grateful to be a recovering alcoholic.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hope that light at the end of the tunnel keeps getting brighter and brighter, GracieLou!
Old 05-21-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry about the rough times GracieLou - hope your fortune will take an upswing soon

D
Old 05-21-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sometimes, when things get complicated, just the simple moment of taking joy in being sober is wonderful.

How on earth did I just soak every feeling with poison and expect life to sort itself out!

I am happy you are sober too, GracieLou.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

GracieLou, what a wonderful and powerful post.

When I first came into AA I thought all the little sayings were annoying.

Now, they are my go-to thoughts as well.

So many times I've said, "Take it easy" "One day at a time" "This too shall pass" "Keep going (coming) back" "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Those little AAisms - and there are a lot of them - now are my lifelines. It's a pretty cool thing to be sober.

Who knew?
Old 05-21-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
This one statement says it all GracieLou. Emphasis on the word "grateful". One of the first tidbits of knowledge I gained from my first sponsor. An "attitude of gratitude" is essential in long term, quality sobriety. One of the promises on pages 83 and 84 comes to life here about not regretting the past nor wishing to shut the door on it. When I look at my past I can see times when, no matter how dejected I get today, times in the past have been worse and to drink today will only make things worse, never better. I'm so grateful to be able to think that way. I use to think I was special and why do these bad things have to happen to me....it was all about me. I'm nothing special! Life is what life is and not every day is going to be a bed of roses. I try to focus on the roses instead of the thorns. Stay grateful and keep that "half full" attitude.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me, having done some work in AA, become more educated on why i was drinking and how to live sober, lots of counselling and, most importantly, having battered myself into a state of hopelessness and desperation through alcohol* i know that alcohol doesn't bring anything to the party anymore so why would i want to drink in any situation?

If i still thought a couple of drinks would help i would have them...and when i had some abstinence from time to time before joining AA i did lol

I'm grateful to be alive, have people who love me, have people i can love, have my health, have a bed to sleep in, have a car, have money to pay for petrol, have money for food etc. When i was active i was grateful for nothing and rightfully so because if you felt as miserable and wretched as i did you wouldn't be grateful either and that is completely rational thinking of a very insane mind! Hence why i needed a lot of help to get sober and change my perception.

* and SR of course;-)
Old 05-21-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

You are an absolute inspiration to those of us, who , well, you know.

Be well dear one. You are doing this.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

I can experience all sorts of negative emotions and drinking them away does not even enter my mind anymore.

Every single experience can be handled using my HP, the AA program, the AA fellowship, gratitude, faith and action. I have found a better way to live and I am so very grateful.

It is just one of those days that I feel the desire to dwell on every single one of my difficulties and no matter how hard I try to stay in the funk and dwell on them, one thought keeps floating to the top…I’m sober.

yep seems like sometimes thats all you have but its enough to keep ya going. I cant tell you how many times i've told myself "oh well least im sober" and kept on pushing forward.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there, you'll get through it! Sending you hugs. xoxo
Old 05-21-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
I'm grateful too...for you being a member of Sober Recovery. Hope your spirits lift soon.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

God was listening. When I got home I there was a message waiting for me. I was asked to lead the meeting at my old HG. Coincidence? I think not. He is pushing me forward. It was a gift and guidance.

Time to get out of my head, at least for a little while. God is doing for me what I cannot do for myself.