Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Long term effects of alcohol long after getting sober

Notices

Old 05-20-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't seem to find much on what long term effects I may have done to myself while drinking.

49 year old male 5 years sober this week

I know that initially after getting sober I had numerous problems with my nervous system ( pain flare ups, tingling or numbness) but my question is does the nervous system ever fully recover. Reason for my question is recently I have been having severe pain in my legs ( most notably when lying down) as well as constant fatigue of the arms and legs.

Been to the doctor on numerous occasions but all tests (blood/mri's/Cat scans) come back negative

Anyone else suffer these problems in the recovery ? Any suggestions as to what it can be? Is it related to my years of alcoholism at all?
Old 05-20-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sQUOTE=wkiml8116;4662771]Can't seem to find much on what long term effects I may have done to myself while drinking.

I know that initially after getting sober I had numerous problems with my nervous system ( pain flare ups, tingling or numbness) but my question is does the nervous system ever fully recover. Reason for my question is recently I have been having severe pain in my legs ( most notably when lying down) as well as constant fatigue of the arms and legs.

Been to the doctor on numerous occasions but all tests (blood/mri's/Cat scans) come back negative

Anyone else suffer these problems in the recovery ? Any suggestions as to what it can be? Is it related to my years of alcoholism at all?[/QUOTE]

I think its age related ,im about your age and do have some aches and pains .

Are you hydrated ?

I don't think its alcohol related ,I have not drank many more years then a drank .
Old 05-20-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

First off, congrats on 5 years of sobriety - that's a wonderful accomplishment.

I had some simliar issues to - pain flare ups, tingling, etc... and most of it subsided within the first year of sobriety for me, although I still get a few things here and there. I've also been to the doc several times and tests come back norml.

I'm about the same age as you and frankly I chalk up some of the symptoms to just getting a little older and my body isn't that of a 20 year old anymore ;-) I'm not overweight at all, but I dont' excercise as much as I should. I do find that keeping active helps quite a bit - even just going for a walk.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had a bunch of weird aches and pains for the first 2 weeks. I'm 27 and was a 5 year drinker. Those pains went away.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i got bored..really bored. I never had any pain...my sweating was weird for a little while...my digestive track returned to normal(that was great) ever since my heavy drinking i can get a slight spike in blood pressure if something is really bothering me...i don't know if that genetic or what..but t can make me feel uncomfortable...
Old 05-20-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Certainly pushing my body more now (sports/activity) than when drinking, so I chalk up any aches to that, and just getting older. Two years sober. Only thing I find is that I'm lacking in motivation.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The age thing is what scares me the most. My mom had leg issues later in life to the point her last 2 years she never left the house due to a few falls in public.

I have 2 bum knees both have been operated on but the relief was only temporary and have arthritis in my ankles. So my exercise is very limited add the fact that I'm overweight. Was working out daily (treadmill/eleptical) until my ankle issues put an end to that. Now its walking when I can, but only for short times before the pain becomes too much to bear. Don't want to start with pain medications based on my past addictive behavior. **** I don't even take over the counter medication when i'm sick, just let it run its course. Was just looking to see if others had the same experiences and if the neurological damage I did drinking was irreversible
Old 05-20-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i went to my doctor too several times and had tests, labs and physicals too. all came back negative which is good news. but i think most of my long term effects of alcohol are loss of friendships, loss of money, bad memories, and loss of a job.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wkiml8116
Can't seem to find much on what long term effects I may have done to myself while drinking.

Anyone else suffer these problems in the recovery ? Any suggestions as to what it can be? Is it related to my years of alcoholism at all?
Ummm, the details?? How much average were you drinking per day and how long drinking total (years months etc)?

No need to be shy, this is a recovery site afterall

Hard to comment or formulate an opinion with missing information........
Old 05-20-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Drinking from the age of 16 but during my worst I was drinking a 1.75 liter of scotch every day for almost a year
Old 05-20-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wkiml8116 View Post
Drinking from the age of 16 but during my worst I was drinking a 1.75 liter of scotch every day for almost a year

That would have killed you ,in short order .

Good thing you quit that .
Old 05-20-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
That would have killed you ,in short order .

Good thing you quit that .
It almost did. Seizures. Gut rot. Vomiting blood on a daily basis. Early stages of cirrhosis.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It almost did. Seizures. Gut rot. Vomiting blood on a daily basis. Early stages of cirrhosis.
That's the highest amount I ever heard of anyone consuming on a daily basis .

I did not know it was possible to drink that much .
Old 05-20-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

It could be this is hereditary if your mom suffered a similar thing too wkiml8116?

D
Old 06-01-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is called Alcoholic Neuropahy. Alcohol is a neurotoxin, first and foremost, and if abused to a certain extent, WILL cause damage. Some of it can be suppressed or even dissipate entirely, however there will definitely be the possibility that you have permanent nerve damage. I know someone who works in a rehab, and has alcoholics in wheelchairs come see him, and leave walking though, so don't give up. Rehabilitation clinics can create new neural pathways in your brain to retrain muscles and repair some damage.

But bottom line? You drink enough, you're gonna get some damage. Congratulations on quitting.