Notices

Detox v. Withdrawal

Old 05-15-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox v. Withdrawal

I have been looking online for several weeks now for just a simple list of alcohol detoxification symptoms - like a physical body detox, and the duration of the acute physical symptoms alcohol leaving the body and all I can find are lists of alcohol withdrawal symptoms.

The list I am looking for is different than alcohol withdrawal, it would be something similar to a list of nicotine detoxification - not how long do symptoms of cessation last, how long does it take the chemical to completely, physically leave the body, and what are the side effects of this detox process (like with nicotine...it takes four-five days for the body to rid the toxin although the user still experiences withdrawal symptoms after).

Does anyone have this list or personal experience?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kallistia, it's not as simple as that, it depends on many factors, how long you have been clean from the substance, how much, your physical make up etc etc, it's different for everyone!!

For alcohol it's something like 48hrs to completely leave the body, the chemical itself, but this doesn't cover the withdrawal symptoms!!
Old 05-15-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did it the dumb way. I just quit. The best thing to do is see a DR. They can help you through safely. It is so good to be free of alcohol. You will never be sorry for quitting. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

?????????????????????????????????

Originally Posted by Kallistia View Post

Does anyone have this list or personal experience?
seems that most detox centers consider one detoxed
somewhere between 5 to 7 days

then the work begins -- keeping the plug in the jug

MM
Old 05-15-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well alcohol withdrawal can kill you..it's really the only deadly drug to withdrawal from

if you go to a doctor he will give you advice and medication to withdrawal safely..

withdrawal symptoms vary greatly..from mild anxiety to full blown dts and seizures and everything in between
Old 05-15-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've always thought 'detox' and 'withdrawal' to be two terms for the same thing. When you go thru withdrawal your body is detoxing from alcohol.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Please talk to your healthcare professional. You will get real and accurate info from someone who is accountable, not from a bunch of anonymous *****s on the interweb.

This has the added benefit of bringing home to you the immediacy of your decision to quit. Hey this is really happening! It's a good idea twice.

Best to you.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One thing people have to watch out for is if there is underlying depression or anxiety, those things can get worse after the withdrawal is over.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I detoxed in less than a week. I will be going through withdrawal for at least a year. I will also be going through something called 'learning how to live' for the rest of my life.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Life Skills

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I detoxed in less than a week. I will be going through withdrawal for at least a year. I will also be going through something called 'learning how to live' for the rest of my life.
Somehow I managed to muddle thru 45 years of my life dependent on alcohol. I have escaped certain death and obvious legal problems associated with my affliction of self medicating my ADD/ASP brain.
Despite my learning disabilities and childhood trauma I managed to support myself and keep out of serious UNCHANGEABLE life events. Some wrongs one cannot fix - like vehicular manslaughter - a serious burden to bear for life.
Left Brain - you hit the nail on the head. If one was "raised by wolves", dealing with childhood PSTD is a hard way to sobriety. On the other hand, there are Oprah and Obama who didn't start out so great in life, but had SOMETHING WITHIN to propel them to excellence.
If you didn't know HOW to manage your life BEFORE you started drinking, then HOW is going to one type of meeting or another with similarly afflicted persons going to teach you LIFE SKILLs? Just a ponder.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
One thing people have to watch out for is if there is underlying depression or anxiety, those things can get worse after the withdrawal is over.

I agree ,and I think in most cases the underlying issues caused the drinking in the first place .