Notices

Oh the irony... (and a short introduction)

Old 05-14-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink Oh the irony... (and a short introduction)

I've been reflecting on the changes/results many people experience after they stop drinking for a while.

Think about this. If there were a pill that would cause you to lose weight, give you more money, more time, improve most of your relationships, look better, feel better, live longer, reduce stress and your chances of being involved in a crime significantly, etc. (I could go on) you couldn't keep it on the shelves at what, $50 a bottle? $100?

I was a heavy drinker. I know that for me (and probably a lot of people) I can have all that and more, completely free of charge, within a relatively short period of time; yet the choice to stop drinking (and get help if needed) is a choice that I have struggled with for years.

Oh the irony!

I had years of sobriety under my belt, drank one day and then almost every day following for much of the last two years, until recently. I wish I hadn't done that but I can't change the past, only the future.

I've had some significant life changes over the past year, (including divorce unrelated to my drinking). Since then, I've moved across the continent, quit smoking (6 months and counting - yay!), and finally, decided to quit drinking.

I am enjoying re-inventing and re-discovering myself. I realize though that not drinking is the most important step to pursuing all my dreams and goals. It's also just how I want to live my life.

I already feel better but I will need a little support here and there, and I want to give too.

Thanks for letting me introduce myself and ramble. I look forward to e-meeting you.

CJ.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

There's plenty of irony in my story.

I stopped drinking when I was twenty and my life got worse. Just fell apart. Not the external but the internal. Didn't enjoy sobriety at all. Drank agin to fix it.

Two years later I started trying to develop a new way of life. Hadn't really considered that stopping drinking might be required, but knew something had to change. Three months into that process I was told I hadn't taken a drink in all that time. My life had changed in so many ways. The fact that I stopped drinking was almost a by product.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cejay View Post

I am enjoying re-inventing and re-discovering myself. I realize though that not drinking is the most important step to pursuing all my dreams and goals. It's also just how I want to live my life.

I already feel better but I will need a little support here and there, and I want to give too.

Thanks for letting me introduce myself and ramble. I look forward to e-meeting you.

CJ.
Congratulations! We know it can get better n better,better n better, and better.

BE WELL
Old 05-15-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of support here.

I have a story somewhat similar to yours. I started drinking again after over 30 years of sobriety. For me it was precipitated by my wife's illness but stayed on after she recovered. I too am trying to rebuild my sober life and at the same time to grow as a person. It is harder this time around since I am long retired and no longer have a job to give structure to my life. I, too, live in southern (SE) Arizona.

Welcome aboard!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all.

I suspect there are a lot of folks with similar stories. One of the things I learned is that I must always be vigilant. I can never drink again. Its on or off, 0 or 1, there's no part way for me.
Sadly I've had to push my luck time after time with no different result.

@Cascabel - You could always volunteer? Just a thought.

I hear you on structure. My job allows me to live anywhere I want , sounds great right? Yes and no. Sometimes there's such a thing as too much choice.

My ex-wife had a lot to do with my drinking too.

CJ.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Simply priceless . . . and for everything else there's mastercard!!
Old 05-15-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

good to e-meet you cejay, sounds like you have a good idea of what you need to do.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Drinking was the single most detrimental issue in my life . Anger was a very close second .

My work requires 100% mental focus , hangovers reduce that , Drinking reduces function on mental tests 20-30 % .

I did my own study . A reduction of 20-30% is only 2-4 beers .
Of course more would reduce ability much more .