Notices

9 days sober, feeling flat and depressed?

Old 05-14-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

9 days sober, feeling flat and depressed?

Back story:

I'm 33, been an alcoholic all my life. Bingeing through my teens and 20s, quit a year from 27-28, started in on Scotch and bourbon, drank heavily for three more years, quit again for 9 months or so, been drinking somewhat moderately (2-3 beers or whiskeys a day) for the past 9 months.

I'm now 9 days completely sober.

I've been to 5 AA meetings and I like it. I'm trying the steps, currently stuck on step two.

My problem is that I am feeling pretty flat and depressed. I am engaged to be married to a woman I truly love in three weeks, but I'm not feeling any joy right now. Just stress, anxiety, depression and wanting to get all this behind me.

I know these feelings are normal. I can make it through it.

Is there any vitamins or supplements that will help with these feelings??
Old 05-14-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by samuse View Post
My problem is that I am feeling pretty flat and depressed. I am engaged to be married to a woman I truly love in three weeks, but I'm not feeling any joy right now. Just stress, anxiety, depression and wanting to get all this behind me.
Nine days sober and getting married in three weeks. No wonder you are stressed and anxious. Because a month isn't long enough to "get all this" behind you. There's much work ahead but you can do it.

As for supplements for feeling flat and depressed, I suspect not. Mainly because taking something to "feel" better is the whole crux of the alcoholic's problem...wanting an external mood enhancer. Stay sober. That's the best supplement for feeling better.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try niacin; I watched a documentary that stated niacin is effective in combatting depression. That's not medical advice more than just a suggestion though.

As a heads-up, you're going to feel flat for quite a while if you've engaged in sustained heavy drinking. I think that's part of the PAWS process. I'm only now getting over that flat feeling and it's been over 9 months. Try to find healthy distractions like exercise or a new hobby to promote enthusiasm in your life.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'll look into a B complex.

I'm not sure how much withdrawal I should be experiencing.

I was not drinking very heavily over the past year, but I could tell that I was spiraling downward again. I just can't moderate, even after being dry for a long time.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you're like a lot of alcoholics you haven't been eating very well, and this can lead to low energy, irritability and anxiety. Are you familiar with the "empty calories" implicated with alcohol abuse? Look that up, and try to drink lots of water and eat healthy, rounded, regular meals if at all possible.

At 9 days you're way past physical withdrawal, so don't worry about the other shoe dropping there...

Also, Carl is right - the stresses of getting married and getting sober simultaneously are enough to get anyone down. He's also right in that, if you're like most of us alcohol was your way to cope with such stresses. Without it you need to find a new way - AA is a good place to start, so good on you for that one. To really make it work for you, find a sponsor at your next meeting. Hang in there, and realize that there are going to be lots of highs and lows for you - try to stay in the middle when you can, and when you go to one extreme or the other, call someone (aforementioned sponsor!) and just focus on getting through the day.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks ya'll.

I've been feeling like something was wrong with me.

When I was drinking my fiance had the wedding jitters and I was all "Hell, what are you worried about?? I'm FINE!!"

Now she's over it and I'm starting!
Old 05-14-2014, 10:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by samuse View Post
Back story:

I'm 33, been an alcoholic all my life. Bingeing through my teens and 20s, quit a year from 27-28, started in on Scotch and bourbon, drank heavily for three more years, quit again for 9 months or so, been drinking somewhat moderately (2-3 beers or whiskeys a day) for the past 9 months.

I'm now 9 days completely sober.

I've been to 5 AA meetings and I like it. I'm trying the steps, currently stuck on step two.

I know these feelings are normal. I can make it through it.

Is there any vitamins or supplements that will help with these feelings??
At 9 days we are usually quite run down physically, so good nutrition is vital. We are also copping some effects from stopping using the depressant alcohol. We seem to have quite big mood swings at times, but these level out.

Also, at 9 days we have not begun to change into the new sober person the AA program promises. We still think and behave in the old alcoholic way, and that effects how we feel. I had a lot of trouble with this and it didn't get any better until I came to grips with steps 4 ( understanding) and 10 ( cleaning up my mistakes as I go)

Let's see if I can help you with step two. You are already halfway there as you have chosen the spiritual AA program as the means of solving the problem you identified in step one.

No ask yourself this, based on what you have seen and heard in the AA rooms.

Do I believe, or am I even willing to believe that the same Power that helped these people could possibly work for me too?

If you think it's possible, and you are willing to make the effort, then you have taken step two.

Step two doesn't say came to believe in God. "We found that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and express even a willingness to believe in a Power greater than ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was impossible for us to fully define or comprehend that Power which is God."
Page 46.

That was how step 2 worked for me.