Notices

Worrying withdrawal, should you taper?

Old 05-13-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worrying withdrawal, should you taper?

Hi SoberRecovery!

I know this is my first post and Ive signed up a while ago but I've been sort of waiting in the wings to post because I wanted to get out my whole story and blah, plus I suppose I wasn't ready to quit and continued on drinking 18-20something beers a day…. but…

Something today really started to worry me… My temperature and my heart rate.

See now, I guess I never really stopped drinking to figure out what would happen, and I decided to stop last night but, now I'm halfway through the day and Im getting really worried. My temperature is a slightly elevated 99, but my body doesn't really seem like it wants to chill out, so to speak lol.

I made a doctors appointment for tomorrow in the afternoon.
So heres the questions:
Should I drink these beers slowly that are sitting in my fridge?
Am I going to make it to tomorrow or will I croak?
Is there a non-alcoholic way to ease my symptoms?

Alcoholism is a very terrible disease.. It's like joining a gang.. a comforting feeling in a dangerous world, but it will kill you if you try to leave it.

Thanks! I promise to tell you all my story in the new forum later.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

First off, congrats on making a great choice and welcome to SR.

Secondly, you really need to see a doctor sooner rather than later if you fear you are having withdrawal symptoms that might escalate. While rare, withdrawal can be very, very serious - even deadly. We can't give medical advice here so the best advice would be to go see your doctor today instead of tomorrow, or even hit the ER if you feel it's getting worse.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Scott,

It seems to have stabilized, but it very definitely is heat around my neck, ears, etc. I have minor hand tremors but not the shakes.

I should have known no medical advice, and Im sorry to ask.

Just a ironic observation… There was a thread about anxiety and alcohol and look at the very case and point! The very next day I stopped drinking, I am freaking out about my body and such which probably isn't helping my pulse or my temperature at all!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would see the doc ,Im not much on going to the doctor .

But 20 beers a day ,id go .

There are plans on the net on how to taper off ,But I had only limited progress doing that .
Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by karate View Post
I would see the doc ,Im not much on going to the doctor .

But 20 beers a day ,id go .

There are plans on the net on how to taper off ,But I had only limited progress doing that .
Hi and welcome, you should never try to quit on your own, especially when drinking a large amount on a regular basis, I also used to do so and I foolishly did not go to my doctor which I since read was extremely dangerous, so please be safe and we look forward to getting to know you a bit better as time goes on.
Wishing you extremely well.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am scratching my head.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Stoogy. I've used the taper method. Does it work? Yes. . .but it takes a huge, huge amount of willpower to pull off successfully. I've also tried it and failed. In my opinion it's a very slippery slope, very easy to let your taper simply continue the cycle and lead you right back (and then of course you're facing the prospect of going through withdrawal all over again). I can't recommend that route but if you decide to try it, please be very careful. Personally I don't think I'd have the sand to be successful at it again. Good luck and feel better soon. Every hour's an hour closer to being through this phase and ready to really get both wheels on a better path.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The major problem in tapering is keeping track of consumption to establish a baseline .

I normally got too intoxicated to accomplish good recordkeeping .

I suspect most people do that as well .
Old 05-13-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

I tapered I was scared so figured i'd ease it off. I didnt want to ya know pull the whole "im tapering" game for a few days only to just toss that stupid idea out and start drinken heavily. So You cant loose sight of the goal (sobriety) you gotta stick to your guns. after a few days of tapering I figured I'm doomed anyway soon enough I new D day was coming I figured why prolong the misery and I just quit with like 18 beers left in the fridge just in case ya know.

a year or so later those 18 beers where still sitting in the fridge I never needed them. I never had any major medical issues tho i'm sure many would have told me to go see someone. Heck I did talk to an MD friend who advised me to go get on paxil or something I refused and kept pushing forward.

I was probably lucky. It cant hurt to see a doctor or just be aware at the risks involved with quiting etc...
Old 05-14-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I never could keep the darned count of drinks though .

Always lost count ,Oh well ill start tapering tomorrow (:
Old 05-14-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

I never could keep the darned count of drinks though .

Always lost count ,Oh well ill start tapering tomorrow (:

Me too, when I saw the white back of the beer chiller that was what done the math for me my friend.

I love reading your posts Karate! You kinda think the same way as me a lot of the times.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stoogy View Post
Me too, when I saw the white back of the beer chiller that was what done the math for me my friend.

I love reading your posts Karate! You kinda think the same way as me a lot of the times.

Well then we are both intelligent ,or insane .

Take your pick
Old 05-14-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

18 to zero in 18 days can be lethal and the body can be shocked. True tapors take a longer period of time for reduction.....daily intake is daily intake.

See a doctor for a proper detox!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by W2782 View Post
Alcoholism is a very terrible disease.. It's like joining a gang.. a comforting feeling in a dangerous world, but it will kill you if you try to leave it.
r.
Welcome great analogy
How was the Doctor?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Well then we are both intelligent ,or insane .

Take your pick

I prefer just being different, but insane works too😜
Old 05-14-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

We can't give medical advice here, but it's a fact that there are two drug withdrawals that can kill you - not coke, or meth, or even heroin - the two withdrawals that can kill are: alcohol and benzos. Detoxing from heavy alcohol use alone is a potentially lethal enterprise.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed several posts, or posts replying to those posts, under rule 10.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals.

Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

how did the Dr go W2?
D
Old 05-14-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey all,

Thank you for the many replies. It's this kind of support that makes me feel very welcome and thankful you guys are doing this.

I had an emergency finance meeting at work, so had to cancel the doctor, and rescheduled for 9am tomorrow. Sadly, this prompted more alcohol consumption just to get through the last 2 days.

I had been keeping up to date lurking and reading your responses but I was under the influence at the time and I thought it a major disrespect to this entire forum to post while I was drunk. Forgive me for not updating sooner but well that's why.

I AM going to the dr for sure in the morning, and I'm going to tell him everything (well almost) and make him feel my liver and pancreas and do some blood work. Any other suggestions to ask the dr?

Please note I'll be reading the forum tonight, but I have to open a beer so I won't be replying until tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Cant tell him anything but the truth .

I would sure include the part about getting the shakes when you don't drink .
Old 05-14-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi W2782. I'm really glad you're going tomorrow. You'll be so relieved to have that behind you. Let us know what happens.