Notices

Alcohol induced anxiety?

Old 05-13-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

When withdrawing from alcohol or being "hungover", I always experienced anxiety and it was very destructive to my ability to function normally. I believe this is fairly common, Ive even heard it described as having the "beer fear".

Its horrible and some people get it a lot worse than others, I had it bad. Its one of the main reasons I dont drink anymore. I could handle the physical effects of alcohol withdrawal; the headaches, feeling sick ect. but it was the mental side of things that was really messing me up.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan1888 View Post
When withdrawing from alcohol or being "hungover", I always experienced anxiety and it was very destructive to my ability to function normally. I believe this is fairly common, Ive even heard it described as having the "beer fear".

Its horrible and some people get it a lot worse than others, I had it bad. Its one of the main reasons I dont drink anymore. I could handle the physical effects of alcohol withdrawal; the headaches, feeling sick ect. but it was the mental side of things that was really messing me up.

Agree ,When I first quit I hurt my back to the point walking was painful .
It was take your breath painful ,if I bent wrong .

I sat in my recliner for a week ,only leaving to go to therapy and doctors appointments .

I remember thinking "This is better than a hangover "

Hangover / abusing depression was brutal, I fully understand why people take their own lives while abusing alcohol .

I can power through most psysical things too ,while unplesent hangovers can be Gutted through .

I never mastered the mental aspects of abusing alcohol .
Old 05-13-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
I think the same idea you have is correct ,I noticed as well emotions I had suppressed came back ,Happiness was one .

A little anxiety is normal ,id go get your blood pressure checked ,make sure its ok , can do that at CVS for free .

Is it correct to assume you are in Tx ?
Ya.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ndallas View Post
Ya.

Free at cvs complete with a chart to see whats normal .
Old 05-13-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Definitely ditto here. I drank heavily in the night and would go through each day at work with increasing anxiety. It seemed to peak around 10am and would leave me exhausted by lunchtime. I ended up quitting my job due to the high anxiety and became jobless, then started drinking full time for 2 years. That didn't help, as you could imagine.

Those first anxiety attacks I had while actively drinking caused such fear that even as a sober individual I'm still suffering a bit. Lasting effects.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Definitely ditto here. I drank heavily in the night and would go through each day at work with increasing anxiety. It seemed to peak around 10am and would leave me exhausted by lunchtime. I ended up quitting my job due to the high anxiety and became jobless, then started drinking full time for 2 years. That didn't help, as you could imagine.

Those first anxiety attacks I had while actively drinking caused such fear that even as a sober individual I'm still suffering a bit. Lasting effects.

They are TOUGH , capable of breaking the best man alive .

Impossible to describe ,to someone that has never had one .

I only thought I was tough ,No match for those .
Old 05-13-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I too have suffered with bad anxiety especially after a heavy nights drinking which there have been many. I would sometimes have to have a couple of drinks to get me through the day to stop the shaking and frighted feeling. Awful! Also my thoughts would be fearful and would jump at any loud sound. I cant cope anymore with feeling like that, this in one of the main reasons why I want sobriety to be free from all those feelings.