Notices

Depression, Anxiety + Staying Centered

Old 05-13-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I agree totally Carate, worry takes on a life of its own and clutters up your mind. It causes stress which has all kind of negative consequences. My new philosophy is "Don't worry about anything unless it kills you and eats you", even then it doesn't really matter because you'll be a dead guy. Now if I could only put that into practice!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
I agree totally Carate, worry takes on a life of its own and clutters up your mind. It causes stress which has all kind of negative consequences. My new philosophy is "Don't worry about anything unless it kills you and eats you", even then it doesn't really matter because you'll be a dead guy. Now if I could only put that into practice!
This ^. I've been gradually getting better at this over the years. Cutting down on caffeine and exercising more have been great helps in this regard, but in the end it comes down mostly to mental attitude.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johnston View Post
This ^. I've been gradually getting better at this over the years. Cutting down on caffeine and exercising more have been great helps in this regard, but in the end it comes down mostly to mental attitude.

Oh ya Johnston, the stimulants greatly magnify all those issues, especially stress which is a component of all the others. Anxiety, depression, worry, stress etc., they all kind of went together for a lot of years for me.

For many decades I drove tractor-trailer cross country. I lived on caffeine, nicotine, ephedrine, a little meth or coke thrown into the mix. I had to stay awake for long periods of time so those things became tools of the trade. Of course you needed alcohol to come down from all those things, not a lot of fun to be wired when you were in a motel between loads. Alcohol was a necessary thing to reverse the effects of all the other drugs. Insanity at its finest, but it all seemed so necessary and normal at the time.