Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

If Alcoholism is a "Disease," Then Why Can't You Draw Disability Benefits?

Notices

If Alcoholism is a "Disease," Then Why Can't You Draw Disability Benefits?

Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

their issues may vary
in my Mon thru Fri AA meetings
there are several who receive benefits

take a visit to any
low income housing apartments
many will be found there

MM
Old 05-10-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seek View Post
Really? Life skills are all of the big and little things that contribute to living a healthy life - all of the practical things - like getting up in the morning, eating healthy, hydrating, exercising, making goals, paying bills on time, paying taxes, cleaning your house, washing your clothes, getting your car maintenance done, dealing with plumbing problems, taking care of your spiritual needs, managing your time well, dealing with your emotions as they come up, maintaining healthy relationships, going grocery shopping, dealing with paper work, etc., ad naseum.
that would be a hell of a high school class
Old 05-10-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

P.S. I think kids in general should be taught life skills in high school.
I agree with you on this, depending on what life skills would entail. I'm a proponent of teaching high school children financial literacy. Things such as basic economics, personal finance, tax issues, the benefits of compounding interest/rate of return on investments over time, the pros and cons of owning a home, the basics of the stock market etc.

Many kids do not learn these things at home, and they don't realize that small savings and investments, if started at a young age, can grow significantly over a lifetime.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If it was taught over the year, it could be broken up into segments: Financial, Physical Health, Emotional Health, Effective Daily Habits, etc. Too bad the school systems are so uncreative.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The kind of services I am thinking of are not available at present - like how to deal with emotions, how to live "healthy," how to be responsible and take care of business, etc. (life skills, like managing your money, paying taxes, budgeting, making goals, etc.)
Again, not sure where you live? An isolated area? Have you tried asking your doctor for any local community or youth centre contacts? alternatively, if your grandson has attended rehab, he should be able to ask for connection to those services.

Just because you may not have heard of the services, does not mean they do not exist. But they aren't going to fall in your lap. Like anything, they have to be sought out.

Even contacting your local high school and asking what services might be available in the community that they know of is worth a try.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I know that you can get benefits if you are caring for an alcoholic much the same as if you were caring for the disabled.

As has. Already been said althoughyou cant get disability benefit for alcoholism per se but you will for mental health issuesand get a long sick note from the docs if you are honest and describe what you are drinking, your thoughts and how you are feeling!
Old 05-11-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Same reason we don't easily get liver transplants. The risk is too great, statistically, it's like throwing good money after bad.

Not saying I agree with it, but I do understand it.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
~sb

Life skills can be learned. Time for him to have some lessons.....

I've seen all kinds of people recover and learn life skills so they can have a nice life.

I wish you and him well
Old 05-11-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Reborn 8th December 2013

Just wondering.

Thinking about my grandson - a young alcoholic in rehab with few life skills.

Simply because it's a self inflicted disease.

Not saying it makes it right, but it's what it is.