Notices

PAWS. I guess it's real

Old 05-10-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have a lil over 4 months and I feel like I have a hangover every day when I get up ! Lasts about 2 hours!!
Old 05-10-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
That stuff ,is overrated -imo

You can chose to allow it to have power over you ,Or not .

I suspect ,due to the fact we "numbed out ", Daily ,now we just experience a normal range of human emotions.

Quitting being a drunk is a difficult process ,but actually very simple .

It seems very odd to me ,that alcohol could have any real psysical effects after a month or two ,I think the receptors are reset .

JMHO ......
Hate to tell you this but it's absolutely real.

I suffered from it for right around eight months. I don't like to talk about it much because i don't want people new to recovery to,be discouraged, but It was really rough.

Terrible memory problems, rigid thinking (which comes off as REALLY CRAZY), depression, anxiety, periods of intense uncontrollable anger, and a lot of blood sugar issues.

These symptoms are almost totally gone, and I have no major medical issues.

You could not be more incorrect about alcohol not affecting you that long. I don't know if that's ignorance of the facts, wishful thinking, or what. Some people have permanent brain damage from long term alcohol abuse.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

More than 34 years since my last drink, and I still have some symptoms of PAWS, especially memory problems.

We used to call it brain damage. I dont believe it is possible to do what I did to my body and brain, and just walk away scott free. But it is possible to have an amazing life in spite of it.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Learning about PAWS helped me a great deal starting out. Fog, mood swings in the extreme and confusion all still bother me but i now understand that for some they are part of the healing process. I can be mindful of them and deal with them more proactively now.
In times passed i just figured that i was never going to be free of this stuff and it would dishearten me.
My PAWS symptoms have improved markedly and steadily of the past 13 months so hope that is encouragement to others.
As for the factual basis for PAWS. I really don't have a problem accepting that poisoning myself with potentially fatal amounts of of ethyl alcohol over many years has damaged my nervous system and neural pathways.
Bedlam was full of people that were committed for alcoholic insanity...
But i am told that i am repairing the damage with each day sober.
Big sigh of relief and grateful thanks.
G
Old 05-11-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I also have to say that PAWS is the real thing. There is enough documentation and evidence if you do the research. If you don't have PAWS, your body isn't human. Since, what do you think happens to your brain / all the neurochemicals and the nervous system when you quit?

It is very real sorry to say this. But it is the brain and body healing.

Also I agree with Dee that it is definately not a "normal rollercoaster of emotions". It is more like confusion and "being stuck". I don't get it how a person could outrule PAWS from recovery, not to start a flamewar or anything but, anyway.

Congrats on the 6 months! Big achievement.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I read that 75% of people recovering will experience it. That is what brought me back here. At the 4 months mark my brain went haywire. I refer to it as crossing the river PAWS. It took about 2 weeks for me. Symptoms coming on slow for a week then about 3 days of complete mania then fade out over the next week. It's a good thing because it means your brain is repairing. After this episode is over you should get some increased mental abilities. 4 months was the worst for me 6 was a little better at 9 I had some really weird disassociation and at a year kind of low mood with bouts of hyper.
You are healing. Just so you know ingesting ANY alcohol can stop or reverse it. Keep going you are doing great.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I sure had/have it. After over a year, there are still some symptoms. But it does get better.

For me, it seems it is worse when I don't eat well or sleep enough. It's more mental now, but it lasts only until I do something to take my mind off it. It's still mile better than when I started, and if nothing else, THAT keeps me sober.

And congrats on 6 months!
Old 05-11-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMama13 View Post
Thanks for the encouragement and the reminders that I'm not alone.
I will NOT drink over it; I can honestly say the obsession has been lifted.
And all the research I've done makes me feel better
PAWS is a real thing, and it's showing me that I'm healing! And that's a wonderful thing!
Smiles to all tonight.
I think that's a really positive way to look at it, for sure.

Congrats on being sober long enough to experience it! Next milestone!
Old 05-11-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
~sb

it's post acute Withdrawal. you are still healing and your body needs time to do so!

it ALL gets better and better!
Old 05-11-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Reborn 8th December 2013

Originally Posted by SoberMama13 View Post
Huh. Who knew.
I'll be 6 months sober on Monday.
You know all the symptoms of PAWS?
Yup, check, check, check.....
Yikes.
I will NOT relapse. I'm so grateful for my sobriety.
And yet I don't feel..... myself.... or something.
This, too, shall pass. Right?
xoxo

Yeah it's defo real, at over 5 months I can completely agree.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

It's real.
And I'll be at 10 months now and I'm experiencing many of the same things DoubleBarrel mentioned.The worst is the displaced anger.
Nothing that I can't manage. But,it's strange to be angry over petty things in life.
Some anxiety returns as well.
I'll be fine and just push through it.