Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Can someone suggest some alternative drinks to alcohol

Notices

Can someone suggest some alternative drinks to alcohol

Old 05-11-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I used to drink beer as my alcohol of choice. In sobriety I have been drinking a TON of seltzer. It's very inexpensive, is very fizzy, and has zero calories. I get the cheapo store brand and it costs about $.75 for a 2-liter. Guilt free and pretty darn tasty.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Seltzer water is my choice as well, they have all kinds of flavors. I too was a heavy beer drinker so this is a perfect replcement beverage.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I understand that NA beer can be a trigger. I am simply saying that for me it is not.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
even most non-alcoholic beer has a small amount of alcohol, which could cause relapse for recovering alcoholics. research has shown that the smell of any kind of beer may be enough to cause reactions in an alcoholic’s mind, triggering cravings. The smell may actually raise the brain’s level of dopamine, which gives the individual a high, making them want more. It may be the anticipation of drinking alcohol that aids in the addiction for more.
Ah! The Pavlovian Response...
Old 05-12-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm from the UK and we call it soda water over here, but seltzer + any combo of yummy mixers works for me, e.g. soda and cranberry/orange/pineapple/apple juice + fresh lime; Coke + grenadine tastes like cherry cola; orange juice + lemonade; sparkling grape juice + peach puree. Supermarkets sell loads of varieties of sparkling juice drinks (Schloer is great) and many look just like Champagne or wine once poured into a glass so nobody will question what you're drinking (not that they should anyway!).

I drink more coffee now and herbal teas, and even order them when out in bars! I no longer care what other people think and just order drinks that I actually want to drink!

I agree that NA wine/beer is a bit pointless as I never drank it for the taste, just to get wasted, plus I'm worried it might be a trigger, so I steer clear.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

pineapple juice

we need not look for the super tasty drink
just anything without booze works best if alcoholic

MM
Old 05-12-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

IMO, trying to satisfy the urge to drink is a dangerous thing to to, as you're most likely not going to succeed. If you plan to quit permanently and live a sober life, I think it's better to ride out the desire, as opposed to feed or try to nurture it. The urges won't last forever.

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
even most non-alcoholic beer has a small amount of alcohol, which could cause relapse for recovering alcoholics.
While I agree about the smell of beer part of your post, the above part is not true regarding the actual alcohol being a trigger. Yes, there are small amounts of alcohol in NA beer, but not enough to trigger anything, nor give anyone a buzz of any sort. There is more alcohol in 7up and other sodas and juices due to the natural fermentation process. It's not listed on the soda/juice bottles only because they make no claim to being non alcoholic. If they do that the law says they have to put the actual alcohol content on the label.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Topo Chico.

Love the stuff.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
IMO, trying to satisfy the urge to drink is a dangerous thing to to, as you're most likely not going to succeed. If you plan to quit permanently and live a sober life, I think it's better to ride out the desire, as opposed to feed or try to nurture it. The urges won't last forever.

While I agree about the smell of beer part of your post, the above part is not true regarding the actual alcohol being a trigger. Yes, there are small amounts of alcohol in NA beer, but not enough to trigger anything, nor give anyone a buzz of any sort. There is more alcohol in 7up and other sodas and juices due to the natural fermentation process. It's not listed on the soda/juice bottles only because they make no claim to being non alcoholic. If they do that the law says they have to put the actual alcohol content on the label.
Many times , replacing the sugar . Via sweet drinks helps alot early on
Old 05-12-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
Many times , replacing the sugar . Via sweet drinks helps alot early on
I agree, though that too can be a dangerous habit to get into. Sugar causes anxiety and depression, along with a whole lot of other mental and physical health problems. I did however use huge ice cream Sundays to combat drinking urges in early sobriety. I also needed to desperately put on a few pounds .

What I think is dangerous in the OP is the desire to satisfy the actual drinking urge, by replacing it with something similar to the taste buds. To me that's playing with it, nursing it, etc. I think it's better to find other ways to just be done with it.

Nursing it may work for some. This is truly just my opinion.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

flavored seltzer
Old 05-12-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

That Zeo stuff is really nice and very refreshing xxxxxxx (not sure I have spelld it right xxxx
Old 05-12-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Zeo. I have just posted it in another thread, I'm not sure which countries sell it but it's lovely. Really refrshing, xxxx
Old 05-12-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Mocktails

Google <Mocktails> for more Recipes than you could ever use.

I do 50 -> 50 of Cranberry & Seltzer. 'V-8' or similar, generic Tomato-based Juice w/'Srihacha' or 'Tabasco' makes for a zingy Happy Hour Drink. Strong Coffee [drinking that now]. Seltzer, Seltzer and more Seltzer.

I had a mock Pina Colada at our local Thai Restaurant, and it was seriously-tasty. One and one only because it was really filling.

We have an overflowing Inventory of nice, old Glassware. Trying a new Mocktail while using classic Glassware 'reinvents' the use of such Glassware to hold non-Alcoholic Drinks. Although it's not a concern of mine, Drinks in such Glasses make it easier to blend in while standing around at Dinner Parties or Bars. Using our Glassware this way not a Trigger for me, and makes for a nice transition to an improved style of Drinking For Life.

Mocktails
Old 05-12-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Can anyone please tell me what's the best way to stop drinking because i been drinking everyday now and my girlfriend just left me because of the drinking can someone please help with this
Old 05-12-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lou1971 View Post
Can anyone please tell me what's the best way to stop drinking because i been drinking everyday now and my girlfriend just left me because of the drinking can someone please help with this
AA has been around for quite a while, and worked excellently for me. I'm in brooklyn also (if you're in NY) so I can PM you some suggestions for where to go if you're interested. You might also want to start a new thread here, as this is a bit off topic for this thread.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm also in brooklyn but do you need like health insurance because that's one thing i dont have
Old 05-12-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lou1971 View Post
I'm also in brooklyn but do you need like health insurance because that's one thing i dont have
No. It's free. What part of brooklyn are you in?

To others here, sorry for the derail... But think y'all understand.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I have drank the NA beer before , in fact drank it for a few weeks

This was years ago , I made 5 years on that run of non-drinking

This time , I had no desire for it .

I have no taste for real beer anymore either , as odd as that sounds
Old 05-12-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan1888 View Post
Why stay away from non-alcoholic beer? because it tastes horrible or because it might act as a trigger to drink real beer?

Originally Posted by gardendiva View Post
I understand that NA beer can be a trigger. I am simply saying that for me it is not.

When I first joined here last year, I too wondered why people were suggesting non alcoholic beers/wines weren't a good option. Now I get it - why would I want to drink something that reminds me of something that ended up being so painful for me? Even if I liked the taste? Why would I risk that it might not trigger me now, but it may one day? Seemed a risk and I was willing to trust people here with long term sobriety.

I don't drink anymore, why do I want to relive the taste and flavour? Seems pointless. But can understand your attachment to it, particularly in early sobriety.

But as I say, like you I thought it was an ok option early on, just didn't want to risk it.