Notices

Quitting help....

Old 05-16-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newpatti View Post
I just want to cheer you on, Cheese, for taking that scary step & calling the doc. Have you thought about finding a meeting near you? Perhaps meeting some real life folks at different places in the same journey would be a great help.
thanks, yeah i definitely feel like i want to talk to people who understand.. there is a mtg at 11 tomorrow morning i plan to attend. and i talked to my one friend who was in treatment with me the last time i got sober so we're going to a meeting tomorrow afternoon..
Old 05-17-2014, 12:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day 1: it's been 14 hours since my last drink. started medical detox about 6.5 hours ago. woke up after sleeping for about 2 hours. feeling totally fine withdrawals wise which makes me feel a lot less anxious. i'm strangely thirsty and hungry? i have had no appetite for months now, so that is a nice feeling.

It is amazing though how i have no desire is to drink, and how little i miss the prospect of ever drinking again. Before when i sobered up in my mind i was pretty skeptical about not ever drinking again. rewind to before i got sober last time and i was in serious denial that i had a problem, and i quit when i suddenly realized how bad it had gotten and that i did have a problem. i mean i couldn't deny the crazy my life had become. i thought, well yes, sure, i have a problem but only because i've been drinking with wild abandon, i didn't know any better, and it was my then-husbands fault and my work is terrible and excuse excuse excuse. That time, i said i wouldn't drink again because everyone said i shouldn't, every text, every doctor, everyone who had been there. but i didn't mean it. and i didn't mean it. look at where i am now.

This time feels different. a lot different. i mean it. the fear i've felt over the last few months trying to stop this run away freight train has shifted my perspective greatly. i had no problem telling a friend that i quit drinking last night. he said, "wow when did you quit?" ..."today" i said. Previously it was 'oh i'm just taking a break' to friends (obviously the ones that don't know) Well, i'm not 'taking a break' any more.. and i really don't think i'll survive if there is ever a next time. I said last time if i started up again it would be bad, but i said it because everyone told me it would be bad, not because i actually thought it would be bad. Although it wasn't bad at first, it got bad. real bad.

at any rate i'm going to some meetings tomorrow, it has been a couple years since i've been to any. i need the social support and i need camaraderie and i need to dust off the cobwebs.

i just wanted to share where i'm at right now and thank everyone who helped point me in the right direction to get medical help. hopefully i'll be able to get some more sleep but wanted to share my first thoughts on this first day of sobriety.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ah, Cheese, your excuses sound just like mine! I was "coping with all the drinkers/users in my family", but of course *I* wasn't one of THEM. it's only been 2 weeks sober for me, but several years of denial before that :-). I want this to be a sustainable journey....so that one I start to feel 'in control' again, that I will not fall back to old patterns.

Hope your Saturday is fabulous!
Old 05-17-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Think about your family gf wife child. Alcohol or their happyness wich one important?
Old 05-17-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newpatti View Post
Ah, Cheese, your excuses sound just like mine! I was "coping with all the drinkers/users in my family", but of course *I* wasn't one of THEM. it's only been 2 weeks sober for me, but several years of denial before that :-). I want this to be a sustainable journey....so that one I start to feel 'in control' again, that I will not fall back to old patterns.

Hope your Saturday is fabulous!
Two weeks I'm so jealous the denial part still baffles me.. I remember thinking I didn't have a problem at all..like what?! Making new patterns is good I feel like I hit crisis mode and that cut the old pattern right up. I know the next couple weeks will be hard but I just can never go back to living how i was.. It wasn't even living, it was hanging on by a thread everyday..so awful
Old 05-17-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by falseemperor View Post
Think about your family gf wife child. Alcohol or their happyness wich one important?
Alcohol brings me nothing but misery, even the temporary lift of that first drink was gone for me, it was pure survival drinking the last 4 months or so, just enough to keep the withdrawals at bay. Was horrible day in and day out. I am getting/staying sober for my own happiness and quality of life, that's for sure
Old 05-17-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're feeling better today. You can live the life you want without alcohol! xoxox
Old 05-17-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

25 hours in.. I am feeling weak and tired.. At least my heart isn't racing and I'm not shaking. Zero cravings, zero zero zero.. I almost can't believe it, last time I was obsessed with reminiscing...this time I have no rosy memories. At all.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

35 hours in.. feeling totally fine.. Good even.. Ate some solid food today too.. Went to two mtgs and hung out afterwards.. Hope I can sleep now
Old 05-17-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

35 hours is awesome CheeseQ!!!
Old 05-17-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well done CheeseQ! SO glad to have you here with us.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

rest up CheeseQ

D
Old 05-18-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Aw shucks thanks everyone...... I feel stronger every hour.. 42 hours in... Decided to go get breakfast, I've never remembered enjoying orange juice and coffee so much.. Wow withdrawal symptoms seem to be totally gone.. Although I'm still on edge they could hit me at any moment.. After a week of pure hell feeling withdrawals everyday while still drinking this is like being reborn. Or at least feels like not-dying.. Not-dying is good.. Going to hit another meeting in an hour.. I was mortified to go to a meeting last night and my co-worker was there..he gave me a hug small world.. Ok, off to face the day
Old 05-18-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I am so excited for you Cheese! I understand that feeling of the switch flipping. I knew I was done too. That's not to say that hard times won't come...they will because that is the very nature of life and can't (and shouldn't) be avoided. But...the inner calm that comes with knowing that you never have to be in that hell of addiction again, makes even the hard stuff in life just a little but easier. The excitement and newness about life you feel right now never has to go away!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I am so excited for you Cheese! I understand that feeling of the switch flipping. I knew I was done too. That's not to say that hard times won't come...they will because that is the very nature of life and can't (and shouldn't) be avoided. But...the inner calm that comes with knowing that you never have to be in that hell of addiction again, makes even the hard stuff in life just a little but easier. The excitement and newness about life you feel right now never has to go away!
It is totally a switch, it's amazing.. I definitely feel that inner calm too, just relaxed, love it.. I'm so looking forward to the future for the first time in a long time.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CheeseQ View Post
Aw shucks thanks everyone...... I feel stronger every hour.. 42 hours in... Decided to go get breakfast, I've never remembered enjoying orange juice and coffee so much.. Wow withdrawal symptoms seem to be totally gone.. Although I'm still on edge they could hit me at any moment.. After a week of pure hell feeling withdrawals everyday while still drinking this is like being reborn. Or at least feels like not-dying.. Not-dying is good.. Going to hit another meeting in an hour.. I was mortified to go to a meeting last night and my co-worker was there..he gave me a hug small world.. Ok, off to face the day
I don't know if you have researched it , but the meds normally pescribed
Are to stop the withdrawal symptoms .

That's the entire idea , of the meds .
Old 05-19-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

72 hours.. It is so much easier not to drink.. No planning constantly, no worrying all day... Just freedom..
Old 05-19-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi CHeese!

Three days is fantastic!

Why not sign in to the 24-Hour Club, or post some more in the Class of May 2014 thread?