Notices

OKAY - advice on optimum preformance ?

Old 05-09-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OKAY - advice on optimum preformance ?

I need to pass a very difficult exam , I as well know there are a lot of people
Here that follow special diets ,and exercise .

I need the absolute BEST ,I can be for this ?

Diet ,sleep advice ?

A friend is studying to be a nurse ,she recorded the lecture and listened to it while sleeping ?

Good idea to program in subconscious mind ?
Old 05-09-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There's a little pill called 'study buddy' No joke!
Wife used to take it befor e her exams. She was top in class.
I failed a test a couple years ago. 80 was a failing grade. I took study buddy and aced a retake test.
Probably just a vitamin placebo. But it worked!
Old 05-09-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Get the proper amount of sleep, eat healthy foods, take a walk or some other form of exercise, and study, study, study, study. When you're tired and feel you've studied long enough, then study some more

The best advise I can offer.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are being pretty vague.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

BTW when I was in college, I read that listening to classical music while studying helps with concentration. Even today, whenever I'm reading something a little weighty, I tune to the John Sebastian Back station on Pandora.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is the fuddy duddy answer but the only way to really ace an exam is eat well, sleep well and study hard.

Study Buddy pills are pretty vague on their composition but they do contain caffeine.
I wouldn't take them myself.

If you decide to take them, I wouldn't risk taking too many. Read the directions.

D
Old 05-09-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Study, take mock exams, use a flash card app, visit forums where other people are prepping. Then study some more.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by karate View Post
I need to pass a very difficult exam , I as well know there are a lot of people
Here that follow special diets ,and exercise .
Unless it is the NFL combine you are studying for, not sure how diet and exercise is going to help.

I would say, know the subject matter and don't stress out.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would say it depends on what kind of exam you are taking. Some exams (I know you were talking about insurance licensing, etc the other day) can be crammed for, IF that is your style. On other exams which require thought processing beyond regurgitation you will likely need to be more rested. Is it a multiple choice test where you are just expected to have the info in your head? Or is it a test where the answers seem to be obvious but you need to find the one piece of info in the question that is meant to trip you up? That type of test usually means delving a bit deeper into the info, studying the exceptions rather than the rules.

It depends on how dire the exam is, what time of day you are taking exam, how you test period. I have found it more efficient to tailor my study skills to the specific test.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a bit of expertise with exams - decades worth. I recommend the following program:

Don't drink
Get off the sleep meds
Get off the Nyquil
Continue your snuff or Copenhagen
Get 7-8 hours of sleep
Drink tons of water
Study the content
Take as many practice exams as you can
Begin meditation for 5 minutes a day, in the morning and 5 minutes before you head to sleep.

With this recipe you cannot fail - give yourself plenty of time for the study portion.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would have someone like a friend or wife quiz you before the test with sample questions. Ideally You want to get to the point where you can answer test questions with no hesitation.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Doing series 6 and 63 , no way I could violate laws saying that .
I just had to be sure .

Great folks here , thanks
Old 05-10-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
I have a bit of expertise with exams - decades worth. I recommend the following program:

Don't drink
Get off the sleep meds
Get off the Nyquil
Continue your snuff or Copenhagen
Get 7-8 hours of sleep
Drink tons of water
Study the content
Take as many practice exams as you can
Begin meditation for 5 minutes a day, in the morning and 5 minutes before you head to sleep.

With this recipe you cannot fail - give yourself plenty of time for the study portion.
Can you elaborate on the meditation ?

I have never done that , but would like to get started
Old 05-10-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ryno032709

Everything he said plus take a few minutes every morning after waking to ask your higher power for help through the day, say a serenity prayer, read daily page from hazeldens 24hrs book and at end of day repeat this only instead of asking for help... Be thankful to your higher power for making through another day sober. This, is the most simplest form of meditation for a Alcoholic. The main idea is not to "meditate" bust just to take a few minutes for your self before jumping into your busy day and before hitting the rack and going to bed.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Karate, the process of meditation is to train your mind to quiet your thoughts. The simplest form of meditation is to focus on your breath. Take a deep breath in through your nose, follow it into you lungs and stomach and then exhale through your mouth. I then do a body scan thinking about each body part. There are several types of meditation and each is known to work on different regions of the brain. I tend to use a guided meditation for 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes before bed. I am guilty of letting life get in the way some days but can feel when I don't meditate.

There are tons on Google just put in free guided meditation. Here is a link: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=svzll1ywBkk

Your mind is like your bicep. You need to work out and train it to get the results you want. I believe meditation is the best way to strengthen it.

Try a book called Mindfulness for Beginners by Jon Kabat Zinn. I found it wonderfully inspiring. I have many other book suggestions if you are interested. I think you will find all this helps your anger management program too.

Good luck.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Series 6 and 63. These are not bad at all, I have them myself. Study the literature and take as many practice exams as you can. Try to take 3 exams per day. Most of the info you will not remember - this is a cram type exam. So study then take and exam, study then take an exam, study, take the exam. You don't need to understand everything but you will need to know the answers. Multi choice too...good luck.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Karate, the process of meditation is to train your mind to quiet your thoughts. The simplest form of meditation is to focus on your breath. Take a deep breath in through your nose, follow it into you lungs and stomach and then exhale through your mouth. I then do a body scan thinking about each body part. There are several types of meditation and each is known to work on different regions of the brain. I tend to use a guided meditation for 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes before bed. I am guilty of letting life get in the way some days but can feel when I don't meditate.

There are tons on Google just put in free guided meditation. Here is a link: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=svzll1ywBkk

Your mind is like your bicep. You need to work out and train it to get the results you want. I believe meditation is the best way to strengthen it.

Try a book called Mindfulness for Beginners by Jon Kabat Zinn. I found it wonderfully inspiring. I have many other book suggestions if you are interested. I think you will find all this helps your anger management program too.

Good luck.
Thanks ,I will sure give that a good effort .

It looks like it might just help with sleep ,Im sure tired of taking drugs and rotating them all the time 4 days a week ,when I work full time job .

In a rare moment of complaining ,my Job is killing me ,From lack of sleep -if nothing else .
Old 05-10-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

karate, I second everything jdooner says
Old 05-10-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Series 6 and 63. These are not bad at all, I have them myself. Study the literature and take as many practice exams as you can. Try to take 3 exams per day. Most of the info you will not remember - this is a cram type exam. So study then take and exam, study then take an exam, study, take the exam. You don't need to understand everything but you will need to know the answers. Multi choice too...good luck.

6 and 63 will get me in the game making money ,26 is required in the distant future .

I have the opportunity to take 65 and 66 as well ,and I will take them at a later time .
Old 05-11-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How do you have time to be a fulltime farmer, work a fulltime job in addition, study for exams and post/reply/begin so many threads?