Notices

How do you know if you have a drinking problem?

Old 05-09-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I think a big part of the problem is that many alcoholics develope anxiety, depression and a whole host of other mental health issues along the way. Many had these problems to begin with and they only get worse on the alcohol. The problem is that alcohol does seem to offer short term relief for those issues. This is how they get stuck on the merry-go-round of addiction.

It really can turn into a vicious cycle where it seems that if you don't drink the mental health issues come pouring in and if you do you only get the short term relief while everything gets even worse. I don't know how high the numbers are among alcoholics that have these coexisting issues but I would bet they are a lot higher than most people would think.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

TieTheKnot - I'm so glad you came here to discuss your concerns. If I had, in my 20's, my life would've been completely different. I knew I was in trouble long ago, but always insisted I could figure out a way to have 'a few'. It never worked, and my life unraveled. This never has to happen to you. Please keep posting.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
I think a big part of the problem is that many alcoholics develope anxiety, depression and a whole host of other mental health issues along the way. Many had these problems to begin with and they only get worse on the alcohol. The problem is that alcohol does seem to offer short term relief for those issues. This is how they get stuck on the merry-go-round of addiction.

It really can turn into a vicious cycle where it seems that if you don't drink the mental health issues come pouring in and if you do you only get the short term relief while everything gets even worse. I don't know how high the numbers are among alcoholics that have these coexisting issues but I would bet they are a lot higher than most people would think.

My drinking summarized in a two paragraph story .

Great post
Old 05-09-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Karate, what do you mean by the "correct ways to get through life" ?

Do you mean, able to hang onto a job, not getting arrested, still clinging on to a relationship etc.? All the time ignoring the important things in life and "just getting by". Drinking yourself silly - but no one knows about it. Neglecting everyday responsibilities, and putting things off. Being forgetful or procrastinating because you can always do it tomorrow? Buying new underwear because you didn't feel like washing clothes - yeah I did that.?
I don't know if that is the "correct way" to live.
Can you be more specific? Everyday drinkers are just kidding themselves that they are in control of their lives. I know this.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

@Backtosquareone, I am pretty sure this is the case for me as well. I know I have some underlying mental health issues that I have not addressed. I likely self-medicate. I know that if I am feeling very stressed I go take a drink right away. However, I highly doubt I will seek any help. Anonymous internet help is about all I am ready for at this time. I am not very confident in myself with that either.

& Hevyn, I think...I still don't quite know if I'm in trouble. I still think I could figure out a way to have a few, as unrealistic and stupid as this may sound. I guess I'm trying to figure out how to change that mindset though.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
~sb

I didn't have a drinking problem, I had a living problem and I couldn't see me living without drinking. Now this is a problem.

rational recovery
smart
avrt
life ring
sos
women for sobriety

all have their own websites. check them out! (instead of drinking this weekend)
Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Sit down and drink fourteen glasses of milk.

Report back how drinking fourteen ANYTHING is reasonable.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

How do you not know?
Old 05-11-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Reborn 8th December 2013

Originally Posted by TieTheKnot View Post
So I drink about once or twice a week but I will have about 13-14 drinks if I do. Usually to where I black out and then pass out. I have become overweight because of it and have been having stomach problems. I want to stop, but I dont. I dont know if its because I dont really want to stop? I never make much of an effort. How do I know if I have an addiction?
I knew I had an addiction when I could not leave a bar before either my wallet was empty or they called time, never left because I wanted too.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
~sb

How's things now?
Old 05-11-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I remember taking a "Do You Have a Problem with Alcohol?" test back in college or grad school (law school, actually, but don't hold that against me) and scoring 17 out of 20, when some paltry number (3, 4 or 5) indicated the likelihood of a problem.

If the truth be known, I probably lied on the 3 questions which didn't reflect a problem with drinking.

Blacking out is bad news and it is certainly something I don't miss since I went to even more grad school (the treatment center) and then commenced working the AA program.

I drank for an additional 10 or so years after taking that test, and I would give anything to have those years back.

In recovery, every day isn't payday and some days are downright challenging, but even they don't compare to living (using the word loosely, I might add) my life as a practicing alcoholic.

I hope that you like what you see and read on this forum and that you decide that getting help is better than your current life.