Notices

DUI and your career.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DUI and your career.

Hello, I'm new to this forum and hoping i could get insights based on your experienced. So, here it goes. I was arrested and charged with DUI w/high BAC .201 and i'm still fighting for reduction of the charges from misdemeanor to violation. I am a professional therapist w/ no record at all. I have read that being convicted of a crime is considered as a professional misconduct that could face different consequences, the worst is license revocation. So i am asking if any of you who has dui conviction were not able to practice due to professional license suspension/revocation. I have already learned my lesson and will never do the same mistake. Hopefully, you can give me insights negative/positive i'll accept it. This is very important to me so i can plan ahead of my future. thanks!
Old 05-05-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have professional lisc. as well ,DWI will not revoke mine .

I asked my boss when I was still drinking heavy .

Are you sure you will be revoked for DWI ?

Pm ,me if you want to discuss it in more detail .

Mine can be revoked for moral violations ,or a felony .

I do have to disclose these , but not grounds for revocation ,unless concealed on application .
Old 05-05-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi karate, I cant PM you, as i need to have 5 post in the forum before I can PM someone. I really need to speak with you, if your license was suspended instead of revocation?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by queens View Post
hi karate, I cant PM you, as i need to have 5 post in the forum before I can PM someone. I really need to speak with you, if your license was suspended instead of revocation?
I have had neither happen , but the material was on one of my exams .
Old 05-05-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

queens,
welcome to you.
i can't speak to your immediate question; maybe someone else will be able to.
but i can suggest (since you're mentioning planning your future) that possibly other things are equally or more important, one being to take an honest look at what led to your pressing question.
hope you'll use this situation you're in as well as the excellent support you could get here to your advantage.
this is a good place with good people.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It might be time to look for a solution to the drinking problem though ?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

@karate, if you don't mind asking what profession do you practice and what state? i'll appreciate it.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Administrative Actions - Series 63 | Investopedia

Insurance , im in Texas .

I posted a link to what im studying now .
Old 05-05-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

From the lisc. I have got to this point ,I have not seen a denial or revocation for any crime less than a felony .

Its a different industry ,I know .
Old 05-05-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I got a DUI misdemeanor back in 2007 right when I was licensed as an RN. I get questioned about it a lot but it didn't affect my license. I just have to be forthright about it.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

@lulupalooza Thank you! Hopefully, it will not have a devastating effect on my prof license as this is the only livelihood that i know.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck queens!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ryno032709

Every state will vary with Laws pertaining to operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol.

First off, if you have not already done so. You should obtain legal counsel to represent you as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, I will tell you that nationwide if you are more a .18% BrAC the you will be charged as additionally with "aggravated" driving while intoxicated. This means your drivers license will be suspended immediately.

If this is your first offense and you have a good attorney and about $5,000 you are willing to spend, best case scenario you are looking at taking some alcohol classes, attending some meetings. This can take from 3-6 months usually. After doing so, your lawyer will most likely have up to 2weeks to petition the court to have your driving license and privileges reinstated. You will be required to report all of this to your car insurance company (if you have it) and your rates will at least double.

So what is the good news? As long as you can find a way to get to work, it should not affect your current employment position. Even better, depending on your situation and dealings with the police, many good criminal attorneys can find a mistake and get everything thrown out so you will have no charges or record.

Long and short answer... A DWI will affect a lot of things but a professional license is not one of them.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

Regulations vary a great deal among states, and in the past two decades or so, sanctions in response to convictions that are related to drugs and alcohol have become increasingly punitive. You need to go to your state's licensing board's web site to research this issue.

I'm licensed in NY and other states. The rule of thumb is to hire an attorney in order to get the charges reduced or dropped. Not an easy thing to do.

From the NYSED.gov website:

"The New York State Education Department's Office of the Professions (OP) investigates and prosecutes professional misconduct in all professions except medicine. Professional misconduct is the failure of a licensed professional to meet expected standards of practice.

Professional misconduct is defined in Education Law and in the Rules of the Board of Regents. Professional misconduct includes the following:

Engaging in acts of gross incompetence or gross negligence on a single occasion, or negligence or incompetence on more than one occasion
Permitting or aiding an unlicensed person to perform activities requiring a license
Refusing a client or patient service because of race, creed, color, or national origin
Practicing beyond the scope of the profession
Releasing confidential information without authorization
Being convicted of a crime
Failing to return or provide copies of records on request
Being sexually or physically abusive
Abandoning or neglecting a patient in need of immediate care
Performing unnecessary work or unauthorized services
Practicing under the influence of alcohol or other drugs

A range of penalties that includes censure and reprimand, fines (up to $10,000 for each violation), suspensions and/or probationary terms may be imposed on licensees who have committed misconduct. The Board of Regents takes final action on the most serious cases of misconduct. In severe cases of misconduct, the Regents may revoke the professional's license.

OP's Professional Assistance Program allows licensees who abuse alcohol or other drugs to surrender their licenses voluntarily and confidentially while progressing through an acceptable course of treatment; it is available to licensees who have not harmed clients. Successful completion of the program may act as an alternative to disciplinary action."
Old 05-05-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think EndGame has the best advice here queens

we can definitely help you with sobriety questions but it's best to go to whatever is your state's licensing body for the lowdown on DUI and the implications thereof

D
Old 05-05-2014, 10:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

queens..you should talk to a dui lawyer..he will know this information that is specific to each state. I don't know if 1 dui is a criminal charge in your state or a traffic violation. This information is out there. Personally I feel that you are going to be alright
Old 05-05-2014, 10:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

queens, if it helps at all...

My parents were both medical doctors and numerous colleagues of theirs have faced DUI convictions over the years. None of these doctors had their medical licenses being affected by a dui. Only drivers license were affected.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My DUI was over 20 years ago. I am a licensed CPA. It did not affect my license. I did have to let them know and The Board of Professional Regulation did not find it a problem.