Notices

How many just don't admit the problem?

Old 05-05-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

How many just don't admit the problem?

I just got to thinking about us SR members who are brave enough to admit we have had or do indeed still have a problem whether it be with alcohol or any substance at all, then I got to wondering even within my own circle of people how many others have similar problems but just bury there head in the sand or just do not want to admit it too themselves? I don't know how many members SR has but I'm guessing it would be a whole lot more if people woke up to their problems and dealt with them in the admirable way the members here are attempting to do, Well done everyone, proud of each of us.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 05-05-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It took me 26 years so I try real hard not to judge others. I see when others have a problem and are still justifying or rationalizing and there is nothing I can do but pray for them.

The admission that one has a problem has to come from themselves and even then that does not mean they will get help. I called myself a functioning alcoholic up to the point I was barely functioning.

Some never get to that point. It is sad but do is help if I can and pray when I can't.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Many people know they have a drinking problem but just choose to drink. I think it would be very hard to be an alcoholic and not know it. The whole aspect of being in denial or whatever is way overblown in my opinion, many are just too attached to alcohol and could not imagine life without it.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I agree with BackToSquareOne. I drank knowing fully well I was an alcoholic (no denial there) and I know many people who are in active addiction and will tell you: yep I am an alcoholic. My best friend is one of those.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I personally feel that not admitting that one has a problem is actually the problem itself.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I agree with BackToSquareOne. I drank knowing fully well I was an alcoholic (no denial there) and I know many people who are in active addiction and will tell you: yep I am an alcoholic. My best friend is one of those.
Carlotta, my cousin was an alcoholic his whole life. He always said, I'm an alcoholic and proud of it. He died last year at 59, his body was a wreck after decades of drinking but drink to the bitter end he did. I don't think the idea of quitting ever entered his mind.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stoogy View Post
I just got to thinking about us SR members who are brave enough to admit we have had or do indeed still have a problem whether it be with alcohol or any substance at all, then I got to wondering even within my own circle of people how many others have similar problems but just bury there head in the sand or just do not want to admit it too themselves? I don't know how many members SR has but I'm guessing it would be a whole lot more if people woke up to their problems and dealt with them in the admirable way the members here are attempting to do, Well done everyone, proud of each of us.
That's part of the overall problem of addiction to begin with. Not realizing you have one.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I drank every night for a lot of years. I didn't consider this a problem and my friends drank with me. It wasn't until I was retired a few years that I thought something was wrong. I didn't bury my head...I acknowledged that I drank a ton but still had a successful career, like everyone I hung around.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I could never lie to myself about my problem. I could never convince myself I was okay and my drinking was normal. I could get drunk and not care anymore, but I still knew I had a problem...I just don't care if I'm drinking.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Stoogy.

I'm proud of us too - I just wish it hadn't taken me 25 yrs. to admit it.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

To this day I can't comprehend why my ex would admit he has a problem to me, then follow it up with one million and one reasons why he didn't want to/wasn't ever going to change.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I knew I had a problem, I knew this isn't what normal people do, my behaviour was not normal . . . but I continued!!

I had to get to the point of wanting to change, before I wanted to do anything about it!!
Old 05-05-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure a few in my circle of friends are alcoholics. I'm seeing them less these days as whenever we get together they just want to drink heavily. To be honest it's just not a great time hanging out with a group when everyone else is getting drunk and you're not. One of my close friends told me recently that he really misses us going out on the town and tearing it up like we used to. I don't miss it at all. I once heard someone say "sobriety is the best gift I ever gave myself". I couldn't agree more with that.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Stoogy

In my part of the world, Oz, it is a staggering statistic. From what I have researched and also learnt from AA folks, approximately 85-90% of folks who have problems with drinking or are abusing alcohol do not recognize they have an issue. This has been backed by studies performed by govt institutions and NGOs. Anecdotally, now that I know I am an alcoholic, I have observed many folks who I reckon do have a drinking problem but are completely oblivious to it. They usually place the blame on something else such as stress, work, relationships, etc.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'll just speak for myself. I always knew I had a problem. It just took something stupid to make me "admit" it. Or rather, accept it.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
orangutan

I knew for years I was an alcoholic but it wasn't till I got sick and had to give up that the thought even crossed my mind and even then I went down kicking and screaming, such was the hold it has on me.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Alcohol controlled my perception of reality. I didn't want to admit that my reality was a problem.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

To admit the problem and not take action to fix it is insanity .

Who wants to look foolish ?.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought I could 'fix it'.

Didn't everybody?